Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 3:25 am

The USMNT fails to qualify, losing to Trinidad and Tobago 2-1 in game they had to win.

On the positive side, I don't have to root for them, and have them bitterly disappoint me.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 3:44 am

Although my team would be England, the players keep changing just like the local teams and I feel like its irrelevant what team we support, and usually root for the teams who haven't yet got a win to their name like Netherlands which I usually want to win because they have world class players and they are capable of winning, but will probably get stolen by Brazil, Spain or Germany.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 6:52 am

I also support the Netherlands and Mexico as backups, you know, just to make sure that I get a tantalizing enough hope built up to thoroughly dash.

Whoops! Netherlands has also failed to qualify.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 1:40 pm

Football obsessive here! Rarely watch England qualifiers as we are so poor but do enjoy the tournaments.

Would love to see Iceland do well this time!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 1:58 pm

Still Rooney? I just don't know...

teresa_mayhem_downing_street
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jun 2018, 5:02 pm

i feel your pain!! ! England do well in the qualifiers then flop in the main tournament itself!! (don't get me started on our humiliating defeat to , of all teams, Iceland in euro 2016!! :( )

still at least it's tons of fun going to the pub and watching it!!

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 2:31 am

teresa_mayhem_downing_street wrote:
i feel your pain!! ! England do well in the qualifiers then flop in the main tournament itself!! (don't get me started on our humiliating defeat to , of all teams, Iceland in euro 2016!! :( )

still at least it's tons of fun going to the pub and watching it!!

That's my line of thought really. England are not one of the best teams so I expect very little but the excitement around the country on the day of a big match is just amazing. I still have such clear memories of our opening match of France 98, the buzz around the country was like nothing I had experienced before, the match was early afternoon, companies closed down and schools stopped at lunchtime, it was just accepted that this was a huge tournament for us and no one was to miss it.

Germany look the strongest team, with Brazil maybe in 2nd place. Trying to find a team outside of that makes me wonder if France might do well (great midfield and forwards but weak defence), maybe Spain could but they are so boring now.

My outside tip to have a great tournament is Serbia. Much stronger team than people give them credit for and Milinkov-Savic is amazing. Colombia might surprise a few people too.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 3:09 am

i would really like if a less traditional team won

NorwichGeorge

12 Jun 2018, 1:55 am

With England's atrocious tournament record, do they count as a less traditional team?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2018, 6:04 am

NorwichGeorge wrote:
With England's atrocious tournament record, do they count as a less traditional team?

:lol:
Except for the part about inventing the sport, one could make that case.

I don't want to support the Russian establishment in any way, for obvious reasons. That has dampened my enthusiasm for the tournament.

NorwichGeorge

14 Jun 2018, 1:49 am

I just hope that the Russian police manage to keep in check the racism and violence that so often follows Russian fans (and that unfortunately English fans rose to in France 2 years ago)

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2018, 2:13 am

I kind of feel like the talk of organised Russian gangs attacking people has been overblown (this post is going to come back and haunt me!)

I hope Russia manage to make it out of the group, it's always nice when the host country does well, adds a good feel to the tournament.

only a few hours left to go!

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2018, 10:33 am

Is it still happening?

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 7:39 pm

The games today were crazy! Especially Argentina VS French.... Damn what a showdown. Some games of the group stages were boring but now that the teams are facing knock out all bets are off thus they start playing properly.

I'm really impressed by Belgium as well, they play amazingly, easily deserve to be in the semi final or more. Sweden is a team I've never seen before but they seem to pretty good as well. The upset is that either Sweden or Switzerland are going to be in the quarter finals LOL.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2018, 4:34 am

France were sensational. Mbappe (swoon)

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2018, 3:55 pm

3:2!! !! !! ! go croatia!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! ! woohoo