Parental Control Software

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

shymoose
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Oct 2017, 4:45 pm

My parents want to put a parental control software on my computer because they're afraid I'll see adult things. I'm feeling a little insulted though because I am an adult. My whole childhood they never considered using it and I just assumed they trusted me. Am I wrong to feel insulted? What should I do?

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 8:06 pm

Try not to be to insulted as parents sometimes have a hard time realizing their kid is an adult. It couldnt hurt to talk to them about this telling them there is no need of it since you didnt need one before and you are an adult.

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 10:21 pm

It's ridiculous for them to want to do this if you ARE an adult! I don't blame you for feeling insulted. As to what you should do, the first thing is obviously to talk with them about why this doesn't make sense, and is wrong because you are an adult.

In the even that this doesn't work, there are ways to get around such a thing, like installing a second operating system that the software doesn't "know about". If they are determined to try and install something on your computer, this may be a good precautionary step. Depending on how computer-savvy they are, they may well not realize there's a second OS installed.

This isn't something I've ever dealt with (I mean having to bypass parental control software--I've installed all sorts of things on my computers before but never for this purpose--thankfully). My parents never had a reason to install such a thing when I was a kid, and as an adult I've lived partly on my own (like I do now) and partly with them, but such a thing would likely never occur to them. And even, as it hasn't happened in reality, if they wanted to do such a thing, I don't know if they even could do it properly. I've had to help them with computer issues before relating to installing things, so I'm not sure about it. I guess if they were determined they would ask a friend--or a friend of a friend--who understands computers but this is so far from what has actually happened I really don't know how they would handle this.

shymoose
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Oct 2017, 5:06 pm

Sarahsmith wrote:
Try not to be to insulted as parents sometimes have a hard time realizing their kid is an adult. It couldnt hurt to talk to them about this telling them there is no need of it since you didnt need one before and you are an adult.

Do you know how to start a conversation about this and what to say? I've never been good at discussing things with my parents when we have staunchly different opinions on something. They end up thinking I just want to argue about something for entertainment.

biostructure wrote:
It's ridiculous for them to want to do this if you ARE an adult! I don't blame you for feeling insulted. As to what you should do, the first thing is obviously to talk with them about why this doesn't make sense, and is wrong because you are an adult.

In the even that this doesn't work, there are ways to get around such a thing, like installing a second operating system that the software doesn't "know about". If they are determined to try and install something on your computer, this may be a good precautionary step. Depending on how computer-savvy they are, they may well not realize there's a second OS installed.

This isn't something I've ever dealt with (I mean having to bypass parental control software--I've installed all sorts of things on my computers before but never for this purpose--thankfully). My parents never had a reason to install such a thing when I was a kid, and as an adult I've lived partly on my own (like I do now) and partly with them, but such a thing would likely never occur to them. And even, as it hasn't happened in reality, if they wanted to do such a thing, I don't know if they even could do it properly. I've had to help them with computer issues before relating to installing things, so I'm not sure about it. I guess if they were determined they would ask a friend--or a friend of a friend--who understands computers but this is so far from what has actually happened I really don't know how they would handle this.

I really hope it doesn't come to this because I don't think I could pull off doing it behind my parents' backs. I feel like if they found out, (They're not tech savvy but my sister, whom I also live with, is.) it would prove to them I'm actually hiding something by adding another layer software. I know it sounds silly, but I'm worried about making the situation worse. Thank you for the backup plan though! Any ideas on what I could say to my parents to, hopefully, avoid having to deceive them?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 9:32 pm

How old are you?

shymoose
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Oct 2017, 2:42 pm

I'm 18.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 5:00 pm

Then they have no right to alter your property. It’s your choice whether you want to look at adult stuff or not

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 5:20 pm

sly279 wrote:
Then they have no right to alter your property. It’s your choice whether you want to look at adult stuff or not

That right there sonds like the perfect thing to tell them.

Utopia97
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2017, 11:36 am

sly279 wrote:

This.

Simply reading this thread seems to get my heart pumping.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 8:14 pm

I suggest a data plan for all the adult stuff and your parents' Internet for the bunnies and rainbows.

You are an adult and should have the world at your fingertips, but unfortunately it's their Internet and their house. Should the wrong content be accessed the onus is on them.

This is why I suggest a data plan, or failing that a mobile device or tablet with a WiFi component you can take to hotspots.

Utopia97
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Nov 2017, 4:20 pm

You can get MiFi as well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiFi

Dragnet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 4:22 pm

Bios, boot device, linux, pOOOOrn, lulz, profit

Dragnet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 4:25 pm

shymoose wrote:
Any ideas on what I could say to my parents to, hopefully, avoid having to deceive them?

Linux is amazing...

I have taken in interest in Linux.

Get gud and use something hard to use and you'll just be a nerd.

shymoose
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Nov 2017, 11:45 pm

Thank you for the advice guys. I think my parents may have forgotten about saying this due to the family emergencies and stress between then and now.

If it comes up again, I'll make sure to borrow tips from this thread.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 4:26 am

Hope it works out.
Cute moose picture by the way.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 1:44 pm

I agree with the above, use Linux for this. Never seen an ad for parental control software for Linux.

And you're 18. Adulthood don't just come with age, it comes with standing up to your parents.

If all else fails, consider finding a job and a place of your own and you can watch all the pr0n you want :lol: