A nuclear WWIII will never happen. Dishonor will prevent it.

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 5:31 pm

EzraS wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Right conclusion for the wrong reason.

What stops Kim from starting WWIII is not Confucian honor, nor is it MAD, but just the AD part of "MAD".

What stops him is not "mutual assured destruction", but just the assured destruction part. The assured destruction of his own country alone. The Norks are not in the same weight class as the USA on any level even including nukes. So its not even a symmetrical balance of power as with the old USSR (which was in our weight class in both conventional and in nuclear armament). So there cannot be anything "mutual" about the destruction. He could destroy one target (say Guam, or maybe even Seattle), and that's it. And he knows that his whole country would be flatten in response in minutes.

But that's not WWIII or anything close to a global world war. So I don't get why so many people are talking about Kim or Trump starting a third world war.

Every depiction of WWIII I've seen shows hundreds of missiles, not two or three, which as you say would be the total involved in a nuclear war between NK and the US. It is a horrifying idea to be sure. But nothing close to a world war.

You are correct.

No one likely thought that the first shots fired in WWI and WW2 would set in motion those world wars as well.

North Korea has powerful friends an who can say what a first nuclear strike will bring.

Regards
DL

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 9:55 pm

If China was sticking up for NK, then I'd be concerned. But even they think Kim is nuts.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 10:10 pm

Where do you get the notion that wars are fought for honor? I cannot imagine how anyone could believe that.

If I had to guess, I would say that the easiest ways to get into a nuclear war would be either by accident or by misunderstanding the enemy.

Honor has nothing to do with it.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 10:12 pm

North Korea has a history over the past few decades of trying to stir up trouble whenever they want attention (and money).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 2:39 am

The thread is not limited to North Korea. What if Jahidists get the ability to mess with software to make it seem that the US is attacking Russia or they knock out the electrical grid in the US and make it seem like China did it? This would not be about honor but neutralizing the infidels.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 5:45 am

EzraS wrote:
If China was sticking up for NK, then I'd be concerned. But even they think Kim is nuts.

This is not about leaders. It is about military men.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 5:47 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The thread is not limited to North Korea. What if Jahidists get the ability to mess with software to make it seem that the US is attacking Russia or they knock out the electrical grid in the US and make it seem like China did it? This would not be about honor but neutralizing the infidels.

You may be right when it comes to the religious.

http://imgur.com/IBroXK9

Why do you think I disrespect those who respect disrespectful religions like Christianity and Islam?

Regards
DL