Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 10:11 pm

I've been struggling with finding a job I can support myself on ever since I graduated from college in December of 2015. I've been searching on Indeed.com and after applying to over thirty places, I only ever heard back from two. One of them gave me a preliminary interview, which I promptly failed because I have a tremor that makes me look a lot more nervous than I am, and the other didn't have an interview and gave me a part-time cleaning job, which I kept for a little over a year, until the company was sold. Since then I've applied to more places, some of which looked quite promising, but I only heard back from one. Three weeks ago they sent me an email asking for a good time to call me over the next week, and I sent an email back the following day giving a time range I'm available every day of the week, but they never did call me. My mom said she's seen hiring ads for the company on TV (I don't really watch TV, so I didn't know), so it's entirely possible they had other applicants who looked more promising to them than me.

One major problem I have with finding a job is the amount of social interaction required for so many entry-level jobs. When I get stressed, overloaded, or am experiencing a strong emotion, it gets increasingly harder for me to speak understandably - my voice will get quieter and less clear until it gets to the point that I can't even force my vocal cords into action at all. I can handle maybe an hour or two of intense social interaction in a day before I'll reach that point, and then I'll need several days to recover before I can do it again. That isn't going to go over well at a job where I'm a cashier or a phone operator or something, and I'm having a hard time finding positions I'm qualified for that don't have any of that sort of thing as part of the job description - most I've found have answering phones or helping customers as part of it. I also can't drive, and a good number of the rest of the jobs I've found have that as a requirement.

So, I'm having trouble 1. Finding jobs I can actually do and 2. Getting hired for the jobs I do apply for. I have a bachelor's degree in biology, and I've long since reached the point where I'll take almost any job I can do. Anyone have any ideas or advice?

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 7:45 am

Work in a biology research laboratory

Endling
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2017, 8:04 am

Is your degree in general biology, or do you have a specialization? If it is microbiology, biotechnology or pharmacology, then yes, working in a lab might be the right direction. Labs are often quiet and they don't require you to deal with too many people.

Otherwise, how about applying for zookeeper jobs? It's not very glamorous work, but you won't have to deal with people constantly, and working with animals can often be very soothing. Or maybe something like gardening jobs, groundskeeper jobs or something agricultural? Working in garden centers might be nice as well. Not as a cashier, but as a caretaker for the plants and pets maybe?

I'm a biologist myself and I'm also having trouble finding work in the field. I guess there is just little demand for biologists at the moment. But since you are willing to look in other areas as well, I hope I have provided you with some ideas.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 8:25 am

My degree is in general biology. I haven't found any laboratory jobs near me that don't require more specialization than I have. I was going to do a volunteer position at a zoo that was essentially being an unpaid zookeeper, a little over a year ago, but then I got the part-time cleaning job and was also fostering service dogs in training, so I didn't have enough time to do that. (I forgot to mention before, I have a service dog - ideally I'd be able to bring him to work with me) For a paid position, they really want someone who has more experience than I do. Maybe I can look into the volunteer position again once my service dog officially graduates from the program - right now, he's still in training, though hopefully close to graduating, so I shouldn't be away from him for too long. Landscaping/gardening jobs usually require one to have a driver's license, to get from place to place, but I suppose working in a gardening store tending the plants would work well. I'll keep an eye out for any such job openings.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Oct 2017, 8:46 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
One of them gave me a preliminary interview, which I promptly failed because I have a tremor that makes me look a lot more nervous than I am, and the other didn't have an interview and gave me a part-time cleaning job, which I kept for a little over a year, until the company was sold.
I have Essential Tremors which act up when I'm nervous or doing things with fine motor-skills. I tell potential employers about it because it's something they'll notice about me pretty easily. I take Propranolol regularly which helps alittle & taking Klonopin as needed also helps. I'm not sure if your tremor disorder is like mine but even if it's not, taking one or both those meds before interviews can potentially help with anxiety which might make your tremor less noticeable & help you appear more confident. The 3 jobs I had were cleaning related; dishwasher, floor-care, & custodian. I didn't mind the jobs too much except some issues with management & I didn't like when things got really busy.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 9:00 pm

nick007 wrote:
I have Essential Tremors which act up when I'm nervous or doing things with fine motor-skills. I tell potential employers about it because it's something they'll notice about me pretty easily. I take Propranolol regularly which helps alittle & taking Klonopin as needed also helps. I'm not sure if your tremor disorder is like mine but even if it's not, taking one or both those meds before interviews can potentially help with anxiety which might make your tremor less noticeable & help you appear more confident. The 3 jobs I had were cleaning related; dishwasher, floor-care, & custodian. I didn't mind the jobs too much except some issues with management & I didn't like when things got really busy.

That's actually what I have too, and I do take Propranalol for it, but I had several factors working against me to make my tremor worse at the time - I was slightly cold (which my body overreacts to with shaking), my blood sugar was low, and I was a little nervous. I did tell the person interviewing me that I have a tremor and am always shaky, but he seemed hung up on how I looked "extremely terrified" anyway (I wasn't, only mildly nervous). The Propranalol helps enough that it isn't a significant problem most of the time (before I started taking it, it was bad enough that I could barely write), but doesn't make it completely go away. I'll try to remember to ask my doctor about adding something like Klonopin the next time I'm in.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Oct 2017, 2:43 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
nick007 wrote:

That's actually what I have too, and I do take Propranalol for it, but I had several factors working against me to make my tremor worse at the time - I was slightly cold (which my body overreacts to with shaking), my blood sugar was low, and I was a little nervous. I did tell the person interviewing me that I have a tremor and am always shaky, but he seemed hung up on how I looked "extremely terrified" anyway (I wasn't, only mildly nervous). The Propranalol helps enough that it isn't a significant problem most of the time (before I started taking it, it was bad enough that I could barely write), but doesn't make it completely go away. I'll try to remember to ask my doctor about adding something like Klonopin the next time I'm in.
I understand that. I would suggest only taking the Klonopin occasionally or for a short-term bases if you are able to get it. I took it regularly for a while & it quit helping my anxiety & tremors after a while but I was taking 1mg 3x a day & later 2mg 2wice a day. I think my blood-pressure also got too low but I was on some other psych meds at the time that could of contributed to those things. I started seeing a new GP after I moved & she suggested Klonopin after a while when I told her I feel claustrophobic like when ridding crowded city buses(I don't like a lot of people talking loudly & standing rite next to me). I was on Buspar already for anxiety which helps my anxiety alot which helps my tremors some cuz I'm not nervous as much but I still have some issues. The Klonpin helps for the buses if I take it as needed & it also helps my anxiety in other situations, helps me sleep if I take it at night & might help my muscles alittle if they're sore. I only take it occasionally thou so I don't build up a tolerance again. I was off it for a few years before I started taking it again.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 2:53 am

have you tried applying for back of house positions at restaurants? I admit there is no great things about it, but you don't have to deal with customers, just co-workers. I myself am doing dish-washing but there is food prep and cooking type jobs to....I mean its nothing to stick to forever unless you wanna be a chef or something someday but it can be a good way to just get income for a bit. But from what I have observed everyone gets sick of it after a while and will either apply to other restaurants trying to get a slightly better option or switch to other jobs. Of course there are probably jobs less dependent on social interaction in other industries as well....but so far I've had luck with a dishwashing job. Though right now they are certainly giving me too few hours though I have not talked to them and asked about getting more or anything.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 7:38 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
have you tried applying for back of house positions at restaurants? I admit there is no great things about it, but you don't have to deal with customers, just co-workers. I myself am doing dish-washing but there is food prep and cooking type jobs to....I mean its nothing to stick to forever unless you wanna be a chef or something someday but it can be a good way to just get income for a bit. But from what I have observed everyone gets sick of it after a while and will either apply to other restaurants trying to get a slightly better option or switch to other jobs. Of course there are probably jobs less dependent on social interaction in other industries as well....but so far I've had luck with a dishwashing job. Though right now they are certainly giving me too few hours though I have not talked to them and asked about getting more or anything.

Yeah, I've been applying for jobs as a dish-washer, or otherwise working in the back of a restaurant instead of with customers, as well as other cleaning jobs, stocking jobs, and selecting/packing items in warehouses (although a fair number of the warehouse positions require use of machinery or lifting more than I can on a regular basis, but there are some that don't have requirements I don't meet). The preliminary interview I had was for a position as a dish-washer. Probably not something I'd want to do for the rest of my life, but I'm not really in a position to be choosy right now. I keep applying to this sort of job and hearing nothing back.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 1:30 pm

Does your community have any services for disabled adults that you could look in to? I live in San Diego, California, and I am part of an agency called San Diego Regional Centre, which provides living, social, and employment services for people with any kind of disability. They helped with funding an organisation I am also part of which provides independent employment & living services, and they helped me get my job as a library aide for the San Diego Public Library. I also have a job coach who comes to work with me at the library, and helps me succeed at my job. The San Diego Regional Centre has worked with me since I was 12 years old, and they got to know everything about me; I have a meeting with them every year to plan goals for me to work on at my job & my living arrangements. They helped me get the library job, which was a good fit for me. I do not have to interact with the public very much, and I spend most of my shifts just working independently.

I do not really have any suggestions for what jobs are available where you live; it is just a suggestion, so you can research it if you are interested. It has worked well for me, so it could possibly work for you too.

Here are more big hugs, and I wish you the very best of luck in your employment search.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 3:44 pm

300series wrote:
Does your community have any services for disabled adults that you could look in to? I live in San Diego, California, and I am part of an agency called San Diego Regional Centre, which provides living, social, and employment services for people with any kind of disability. They helped with funding an organisation I am also part of which provides independent employment & living services, and they helped me get my job as a library aide for the San Diego Public Library. I also have a job coach who comes to work with me at the library, and helps me succeed at my job. The San Diego Regional Centre has worked with me since I was 12 years old, and they got to know everything about me; I have a meeting with them every year to plan goals for me to work on at my job & my living arrangements. They helped me get the library job, which was a good fit for me. I do not have to interact with the public very much, and I spend most of my shifts just working independently.

I do not really have any suggestions for what jobs are available where you live; it is just a suggestion, so you can research it if you are interested. It has worked well for me, so it could possibly work for you too.

Here are more big hugs, and I wish you the very best of luck in your employment search.

I've looked around, and the only thing I can find is vocational rehabilitation. I did take a class at a place that specializes in assisting children and young adults with neurological disorders on creating a resume and finding a job, and the people there said my resume looked good. That's the only reason I even know of the Web site I use to look for jobs. I found someplace in Missouri that looked promising, but I didn't know if I would have to live in Missouri to qualify for services from them, so I sent an email asking about that and never got a reply. I think I might have to try applying for VR if I don't get a job soon. I've heard it takes a long time and they aren't always good at working with people on the autism spectrum.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 10:31 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
300series wrote:

I've looked around, and the only thing I can find is vocational rehabilitation. I did take a class at a place that specializes in assisting children and young adults with neurological disorders on creating a resume and finding a job, and the people there said my resume looked good. That's the only reason I even know of the Web site I use to look for jobs. I found someplace in Missouri that looked promising, but I didn't know if I would have to live in Missouri to qualify for services from them, so I sent an email asking about that and never got a reply. I think I might have to try applying for VR if I don't get a job soon. I've heard it takes a long time and they aren't always good at working with people on the autism spectrum.

Do you know if any one that you worked with in the class is still around that you could contact who may be able to help you? It may be worth it just to find out.

Does your area have a Craigs List web site with job advertisements? Do you get a newspaper which has a want-ads section? I have also heard about web sites where you post your job resume on them, and companies looking for candidates contact you if they consider you for an interview; I have never used them before, so I do not know how they work.

I do not know anything about vocational rehabilitation, but it may be something you could try.

I really wish I could be more helpful, but they are just some thoughts I had.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 10:55 pm

300series wrote:

Do you know if any one that you worked with in the class is still around that you could contact who may be able to help you? It may be worth it just to find out.

Does your area have a Craigs List web site with job advertisements? Do you get a newspaper which has a want-ads section? I have also heard about web sites where you post your job resume on them, and companies looking for candidates contact you if they consider you for an interview; I have never used them before, so I do not know how they work.

I do not know anything about vocational rehabilitation, but it may be something you could try.

I actually talked to one of the instructors for the class a few weeks ago. I attend a social skills class at the same place, and he was there. I told him about the problems I've been having, and he said he'd email me about looking at my resume again (I don't remember his email address), but he never did. I'm not sure why I'm having so much trouble actually hearing back from anyone even when they say they're going to contact me. When this happens, I go back and check multiple times to make sure I gave the correct contact information when I can, like checking the email I sent to the place that was going to call me to make sure the number was correct, and I check several times before sending a message as well.

I've never looked at Craig's List, I forgot they might have job postings there. I'll check that out. It might be good for me to start watching more TV too, so I see hiring ads like the ones my mom told me about. The Web site I use to look for jobs (indeed.com) is one of the sites where you can upload a resume so employers can find you instead of the other way around, but I'm afraid I'd have a bunch of people trying to get me for jobs I'm not capable of performing. I'm very uncomfortable saying no to people, although I suppose that would be good practice, and it's entirely possible someone would contact me about a job I can perform. Thank you, you've given me some things to consider.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 7:40 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
300series wrote:

I actually talked to one of the instructors for the class a few weeks ago. I attend a social skills class at the same place, and he was there. I told him about the problems I've been having, and he said he'd email me about looking at my resume again (I don't remember his email address), but he never did. I'm not sure why I'm having so much trouble actually hearing back from anyone even when they say they're going to contact me. When this happens, I go back and check multiple times to make sure I gave the correct contact information when I can, like checking the email I sent to the place that was going to call me to make sure the number was correct, and I check several times before sending a message as well.

I've never looked at Craig's List, I forgot they might have job postings there. I'll check that out. It might be good for me to start watching more TV too, so I see hiring ads like the ones my mom told me about. The Web site I use to look for jobs (indeed.com) is one of the sites where you can upload a resume so employers can find you instead of the other way around, but I'm afraid I'd have a bunch of people trying to get me for jobs I'm not capable of performing. I'm very uncomfortable saying no to people, although I suppose that would be good practice, and it's entirely possible someone would contact me about a job I can perform. Thank you, you've given me some things to consider.

I have had the same problem with people who say they will contact me & then I never hear from them again. It is very annoying.

Craig's List has a lot of advertisements for any kind of product or service you are looking for. I have not used it in a long time, but it has new advertisements posted every day, and I think they expire after one week. I know that a lot of people use it to look for jobs.