Avoid 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
Be friends 42%  42%  [ 11 ]
What's BPD? 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 26

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 2:26 am

I have a diagnosis of BPD. I am wondering what people think of those diagnosed with it?

CharlesRooster
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Oct 2017, 12:47 pm

My sister has it, it's hard to deal with her but she's a good person

W̸̨̨̢̢̡̨̡̡̧̡̢̧̧̢̡̡̡̨̛͍̯̳̹̩̖̮̖̣̤̜̼͈̜͓̱̩͓̞̠̲̻̩̟͙̤̦̠̼̙̯̲͎͈̦͇̼̭̬͓͉̟̬̰̲̩͍̮̗̗̝̺̥̲͚͎͔̙̰͈̘̖͚͇͎̳̠̹̙̫̳̻̳̳̼̞̻̜̱͓̝̗̬͎̬̳͕̭̳͇̬̯̙͎͎̖̞̰̪͖̫̦̟͉͓̲̙̻̥̦̠̺̪̰͈̰͖̗̟͖͉͉̞̲̤̝̪͙̠̳̥̤̼̦̥̳̞̪̙͈̼̹̙͖̘̞͇͔̟̣̝͍͙͈̮̰̱͉̠̤̠̲̫̼̗̫̙̭̙͈̫̺̘̲̗̗̞̩̖̦̞̟͍̘͇͉̝̖̥͔͕̣̩͇̱̪͓̩̹͎̻̙̗̬͈̰̝͕̠͎̩̞̩͛͌̈́͐̈́̌͐̐̉̈̐̍̌́͛͂̈́̾͂̈́̊̃͋̓̃̌̎̈́̏̀̈́̈́͒̀̍̾͐͑͒̋̃̑̇̽̉͊̈̌͗̐̽̅̈́͆̋̂̇̀̀̋͂͑̚̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅͅe̶̡̧̧̨̧̧̡̧̛̛̛̛̛̤̱̬̥͖̹̱̹̦̺͚͙̜͎͈͚̭͙̦̻͚͉̹͙̘͔͍̬̲̦͕̟̯̜̜̗͙͙͈̲̰̯̹̳͖̤͙̥͔̭̼͙͈͈͖̝̥̜̣̼͚̥͔̲̟̤̩͓̹̟͉̬̹̗̩͍͈͈͙̰͎͕͔͖̝̪̞̺̭̤͙̯̻̞͉̙̪̲̼̣̩̥͓̠̭̱͂̈́͆͑̑͌̈́̽̑̄̂̈́́̂̎͒̂͂̋̈́́̓̑̋̀̉̓̆̎̋͐͛̐̃̌́̓̔̌̽̑̀̈́͛̀͌̈́̄̓̍̔̉̄̍͐̀̊̌̒̎̾́̅̌̆̽̆̀́͂͂̄͗̽͑̓͋̄̏̆̐͂̊̀̓̾̒̈́͑͐͆̀̌͒͒̈͛̐̾̂̅̀́̀̇̀̃̒̊͂̇̐̑̎͊̿̂͆̇̃̉̆͒͗̔̽́͗̎͑̓̓̀͆͊̾̐̓̆̇́̊̒͛̀̀̌̏̀͑͗̍͂̑͗̒̄̏̊̍̿͌́̿́͐̍͐̇̿͐͒̿́̽̄͒̊̀̊͛̍̉̂̀̑́̐̀̎̒͛̽͛̆͗̊̄̆̓͗̂͌͐͒̎̈́̋̂̑̓̈́̌͒̅̄̆̓̂̀͊̍̌̏̐͊̉̐̀͌̓͂͛̈́̉̍̕̚̕̕͘̚̕̕̕͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͠͠͠͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅi̸̡̨̛̫̝̹͈͎̩͓̎̄̀̓̂͂͐́̓̔̂̍͑̄̀̀̈̀͌̏̑͑̽́͛̔͊̂͂͋͌̊̎́̄͗́̀̄̒̔̂̏͂̒̿́̀̇͊̾̐͂̏͌͛̓́͆́̏̀̀͊͊̾͒͂͋̅̄̒̽́̑̓̈́̔̔̚̚͘͘͘͘͘̚̕̕͠͝͠͝͝͝ͅř̸̡̧̧̢̨̢̡̢̡̧̡̨̢̨̡̧̢̧̛̛̛̛̛̛̤̗̜̞̝͉̖̯̙̣͕̠̥͚̲̭̯͔̣̥͓̳̳̤̪̲͚̱̤̲͉̭̰̬̙̯̜̜̹͇̱̞̟͚͍̣̲̲̣͇͕̞͕̠̟͓͚̣̠̹͇͔̰̳͓̙̜̹̞͍̺̳͖͈͖̪̬͔̹̗̤͉̥̰͇̘̦͓̩̮͉̬͚̤͇̦͓̹̝̠͔͍̺̪̖͔̱̭̰̻̥̹͎̥̘̯̦̟̤̠͕͚͇͖̞͓̼͉̱̙̱͉̘̮̤̱̩̖̰̤̦̥̝̳̠̳͓̹̥͖̘̹̫̭̲̟͈͚̺͙̠͖̪̠̜͖̟̤̙̗̥̜̯̱̣̩͇͔̰̬̹͕̦̞͇͇͇̺͕̹̜͎͔͎̲̰͕́̈͊̀̒̉̅́͒̉̆̇̓͛̓̃̐̍͌̽͊̑̂͛̏̄͗̑̐̈̿͛͐̈́̔̒̀̽̿́̔̾̔̆͐͌͆͂̒͊̀̈́̔͑͊̔̉̓̇̄̌̒̋̈́̅̾̿̋̊̋͌̅̇̀͆͋̏͐̈́͑͂̀̽́́̋͂̊̌̓̀̈̓̈́́̈́̀̓͆̒̒͗̾̃̃̀̏̒͒̎̀̀̒̈̄̈́͊̀̈́̋͛́̍̀̾͊͆̋͌͊͗͂̊̇̂̌̓̈́̈͂̈̈́̌́̀͛͆̌́̎̅͐̆͋̅̍̃̄̍̎̀́͋́̂̊̈́̓̐́̿̄́̏͂̓̏́̓̔͐̋̑͗̊̒̔͑́̀̊͐̈́̑͌̆̓͌͗̈́͆̄̒͛͒̀̈̆͋̂͑̎͒͒̎̏̑̐̆̐̃͑͛͂̔̚̕̕͘͘̚̕̕̚̕̚͘̚͘͘̚̚͜͜͜͜͠͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͠͠͝͠͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅḏ̵̢̨̨̢̡̧̢̡̧̨̡̢̢̡̢̡̧̧̡̨̧̡̢̨̨̡̡̞̘̼͉̹̥̮͇͎̯͍̲̜̳̥͈̺̪̮̲̠̣̳̭͎͔͉̼͖̮̤̱̘͉̫͖̠̭̝̯͙͍̙̖̪͚̺̬̮̯̱̪̜̤̪̮̙̯̫̩͚͇͓͚̪͖̞͖̫̝̣͎͉͉̮̭̰̭̬̗̲̙̩͇̤͈̩͇̳͈͙̮̱̬̼̙̖̪͔̙̳̬̖̫̱̲̪̺͎̖̣̟̹̙̞̼̹͔̝̞͙͖͈̠͔̲̰̯̫̗̪̰̬̖͍̰̩̮̱͕͎̪͔͓͈͎͍̻͓͇̯͉̫̳̮͉̹̺͈̬̣͕͔͎͖̱̪͈̲͕̰̜̱̺̝̙̰͓̝̤̺̠̘͔̰̣͔̹̰͇̯͚̱̞̥̦͚͍̹̙̦̪̲̤̗̘͔̝̯̲͓̠̺̱̙̲͇̘͈͚͍͍̻̫̱̲͚̠͔̗̪̹̻̝̜̫͚̦̫͙̜̩̽̀̌͒͌̍͛̄̉̎̎̈͂̋̓̌͋͌̒̌̐̍́̇̊͂͗̓̓̓̾̂̓̓̒̽͆́̈͆̑͋̀̅̎͂̈́̄͊̂́̽̽̌̿̀͑̍̍͋͋̊̈̐̈́̈́̌̂͑́̈́͘͘̚̕̚͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͠͝͠͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅơ̶̢̢̧̡̧̨̧̨̢̧͙͉̳̖̘̠͓̙͍͍̞̖̘̠̯͙̗͍̦̰̠̰̜̩̼̬̱͇͈̫̗͙̩̦͚̝͚̞͉̫͔̥̤̩̪̘̫̤̜̩̮̱̹̟̞̻̥̞̼̘̦̙̻̩̼̝͓̠͈̯̼̳̘̮̭̣̖̻̻̳̟̘̰͖̲̝̬͓̰͇̲̞͎̹̱̹̰̳̫͉̭͎͎̙̬̹̗̘̠̱̩̓͂̋̅̂͌͒̿̀͒̋̊͂͊͒̽̆̑̔̋́͋̐͆̊̆̏̈́͊̓̏͂̎̽̌̄̀̄̃̄́̿́̌̒́͒̋͋̍̇̑̍͒̊͆̊̐̉̐̔͋͆͐̎͋͗̈́̍̈͊̾̃́̑̆̅̃͋̀́̊̂̀̑̎̀͆̄̍̓̾̓̽̈́͋̀̿̎́́̆͗͂̐͂̐͗̽́̓̊̂̐̃́̃̇́̿̀̍̑́̐̋̋̂͂͗̇͊̉̊̃̽̆͆͆͑̇͆͒́̀͌̇̓̄̆́̀͆͆̾̾̀́̐̏̄̏̉̀̽̈́̑͊̉̒̄̀͘̚̕͘̚̕͘̚͘̕͘͘͘̕͜͜͜͜͠͝͠͝͠͝͝͠͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͠͝ͅͅ

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 11:07 pm

I apply the same standards to someone with BPD as I would with anyone else. If the interactions are enjoyable we have a relationship. If the interactions are toxic, abusive, cause problems or make me feel uncomfortable, I distance myself from that individual.

At your age, your brain has not cemented into it's final form yet, and is still developing, so if you are receiving counseling specifically for BPD, which may be the result of trauma rather than a fixed part of your personality, I think there is a chance you could grow out of it with mastery of coping mechanisms.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 2:37 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
I have a diagnosis of BPD. I am wondering what people think of those diagnosed with it?

I fit 8/9 of the main criteria for BPD. It's frustrating when people take me being honest about myself as being manipulative it only makes it worse not better. Whenever I tell people what has happened to me there first reaction is to dismiss me as a liar. I fit a lot of the traits for a lot of the personality disorder.

Disorder | Rating

Paranoid | Very High
Schizoid | High
Schizotypal | Very High
Antisocial | Moderate
Borderline | Very High
Histrionic | High
Narcissistic | Very High
Avoidant | Very High
Dependent | High
Obsessive-Compulsive | Very High

URL of the test: http://www.4degreez.com/misc/personalit ... er_test.mv
URL for more info: http://www.4degreez.com/disorder/index.html
My personality seems to change sometimes I more of one than the other. Sometimes I'm narcissitic but others I'm completely self-defeating. I judge people more on their actions. As long as they don't specifically seem to have it out of me I'll keep and open mind but if they steal from me or directly harm me I will avoid them.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 2:39 pm

I don't judge people with BPD just because they have BPD. I judge them as individuals, just like everyone else.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Nov 2017, 7:02 am

I was misdiagnosed with that when I was going through a psychotic dispersion over my 1st relationship ending. I don't think I would meet the criteria now that my mental health is better thou I still have some issues. My girlfriend is on the border of having BPD & her mom probably has it too. I haven't spent alot of time with her mom thou but I spend quite alot of time with Cass & BPD can be difficult to deal with sometimes but for the most part we get along really well. She has other issues besides the BPD so it's hard to look at specif issues as being BPD or not. I like being supportive within a realtionship & was more attracted & interested in women with emotional issues cuz they were more relatable to me since I have a lot of issues myself.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 10:27 pm

My best friend is borderline. I also have a family full of borderline traits/bpd, Aspergers, and narcissism.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2017, 10:40 pm

I don't need idealization/devaluation cycles in my life. No offense intended.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 11:49 pm

It's more common than I think

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 1:40 am

I don't judge anyone with it. I only judge them by their behavior. If you are a decent person and can keep your symptoms to yourself and hold them in and not bring others to suffer around you with it, you're good and I have no problems with you. It's only the toxic behavior and the manipulation and the abusive behavior and cold heartedness and lack of empathy and the gaslighting is when I draw the line and avoid once you step to this line.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 12:24 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I don't judge anyone with it. I only judge them by their behavior. If you are a decent person and can keep your symptoms to yourself and hold them in and not bring others to suffer around you with it, you're good and I have no problems with you. It's only the toxic behavior and the manipulation and the abusive behavior and cold heartedness and lack of empathy and the gaslighting is when I draw the line and avoid once you step to this line.

I wish I had the sophistication to avoid people on that basis.

It took me a minute when I first saw the thread to realize it wasn't about bipolar disorder. I've had a couple of experiences with people going off their meds which left psychic scars. Much like my experience with untreated personality disorders.

Autistic people can act boldly in the world, and still watch out for people who might exploit them. Often, people with personality disorders have interesting friends, so I wish I felt safer.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2017, 3:45 pm

I used to live with a BPDer and they were awesome. Though I wasn’t super close to her we enjoyed each other’s company and always had really interesting discussions. Plus she baked cookies all the time and let me have some. It was good that we could talk to each other about mental health and offer support and insight (without being too dependent of course).

I know that her close friends, family and her love interests have dealt with the uglier side of BPD but they also know her best side as well.

I also know others with the condition. Some are surprisingly high functioning and others are really impaired. Some have a ton of insight and others continually fall into the same toxic patterns again and again. Some are really cool and others are total jerks. At the end of the day it’s a spectrum and you can’t know for sure whether you’ll like or dislike someone purely because of a BPD diagnosis.

kahhh

25 Nov 2017, 10:41 am

My vote would be "other" if it was option. I try to be a little watchful, since I know I can be a little too nice and admittedly someone with BPD can potentially be more likely to be toxic, but people with BPD can still be great people. Out of the 2 I know, one definitely can be kind of... toxic, I guess, at times, but has a great heart. And though I'm not super close to the other, from what I know of them they're a good person, and try really hard to be aware of themselves and their BPD to avoid hurting others.