Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 2 Jan 2017
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Posts: 917
Location: NOVA

12 Oct 2017, 2:44 am

Anyone have any Heirloom plants. I have plants from family that I grow.



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,564
Location: Aux Arcs

12 Oct 2017, 10:25 am

I grow several types of heirlooms, both veggies and flowers.
Just grew a new tomato variety this year,Coyote.Its a Native American heirloom cherry tomato.Prolific growth,heavy yield, disease resistant and its is the best tasting cherry tomato I've ever grown.
If I like a variety I save the seeds.


_________________
"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller


underwater
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2015
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,456
Location: In my garden

12 Oct 2017, 10:28 am

I grew an old sort of sweet pea this year, Carouby de Maussane. The taste and texture is really superior to anything I've found in the shops. And it's really pretty!


_________________
I sometimes leave conversations and return after a long time. I am sorry about it, but I need a lot of time to think about it when I am not sure how I feel.


envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 16 Sep 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,569
Location: Keshron, Super-Zakhyria

12 Oct 2017, 1:37 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I grow several types of heirlooms, both veggies and flowers.
Just grew a new tomato variety this year,Coyote.Its a Native American heirloom cherry tomato.Prolific growth,heavy yield, disease resistant and its is the best tasting cherry tomato I've ever grown.
If I like a variety I save the seeds.



Great idea! So many veggies and fruits from the past have superior taste and are more resistant to diseases.

Today, it's very difficult to find a rose with any scent. I love scented roses! Nowadays the emphasis seems to be on looks and colour alone.


_________________
If life were a bed of roses, we'd all be aphids!


my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,564
Location: Aux Arcs

12 Oct 2017, 2:34 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I grow several types of heirlooms, both veggies and flowers.
Just grew a new tomato variety this year,Coyote.Its a Native American heirloom cherry tomato.Prolific growth,heavy yield, disease resistant and its is the best tasting cherry tomato I've ever grown.
If I like a variety I save the seeds.



Great idea! So many veggies and fruits from the past have superior taste and are more resistant to diseases.

Today, it's very difficult to find a rose with any scent. I love scented roses! Nowadays the emphasis seems to be on looks and colour alone.

The old roses do have the best smell.Some only bloom once a year but it's worth it.It seems like many modern roses are bred to produce lots of flowers,but little aroma.There are nurseries that specialize in the old fashioned roses.I have a few of them,the deer also enjoy them.The dogs help,but every now and then one sneaks up and eats some leaves.


_________________
"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller


Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Apr 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,084
Location: USA

12 Oct 2017, 3:07 pm

If you want heirloom plant porn I recommend:Baker's Heirloom Seeds.



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,564
Location: Aux Arcs

12 Oct 2017, 4:59 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
If you want heirloom plant porn I recommend:Baker's Heirloom Seeds.

Yes,I love that catalog!!They are about a three hours drive from me up in the MO Ozarks.One day I'll get up there to one of the events they host.


_________________
"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller


Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Apr 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,084
Location: USA

12 Oct 2017, 8:04 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
If you want heirloom plant porn I recommend:Baker's Heirloom Seeds.

Yes,I love that catalog!!They are about a three hours drive from me up in the MO Ozarks.One day I'll get up there to one of the events they host.

They're just a good business all around, the young family on the opening page are the actual owners. I've never had a problem with anything I ordered there and I buy a lot of seed from them. It's reasonably priced, quick delivery, and great selection. I know I sound like an advertisement, but they are one of the few companies I truly trust.



BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2013
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,536
Location: If not here, then where?

12 Oct 2017, 8:07 pm

I read that as "Heirloom Pants," lol.



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,564
Location: Aux Arcs

12 Oct 2017, 8:32 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
If you want heirloom plant porn I recommend:Baker's Heirloom Seeds.

Yes,I love that catalog!!They are about a three hours drive from me up in the MO Ozarks.One day I'll get up there to one of the events they host.

They're just a good business all around, the young family on the opening page are the actual owners. I've never had a problem with anything I ordered there and I buy a lot of seed from them. It's reasonably priced, quick delivery, and great selection. I know I sound like an advertisement, but they are one of the few companies I truly trust.

If I remember right he started that business when he was just seventeen.I've also had very good luck with everything I've ordered from them.The house that Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote her books at is near there,Rocky Ridge Farm.


_________________
"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller


BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,500

12 Oct 2017, 8:57 pm

I grow Apothecary's rose. The dried petals are fragrant.



underwater
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2015
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,456
Location: In my garden

13 Oct 2017, 7:51 am

I want to grow 'Louise Odier'. It has a wonderful scent.


_________________
I sometimes leave conversations and return after a long time. I am sorry about it, but I need a lot of time to think about it when I am not sure how I feel.