Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 12:51 am

Where did the connection between liberalism and Hollywood originate? (just curious)

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 2:05 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Where did the connection between liberalism and Hollywood originate? (just curious)

People in the arts and entertainment have often been more liberal than much of the rest of the country, and have had a larger proportion of gays, racial minorities, as well as Jewish people, all of whom had not always been accepted in more conservative circles. It makes sense that those who work in Hollywood would try to gain the support of liberal politicians who would more likely support their values.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 2:26 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

The revolution began in 1952 with Joseph Burstyn, Inc. v. Wilson, wherein the Supreme Court decided movies were protected by the First Amendment. It continued through the 60's and 70's with counter-culture movies surging in popularity, and with the demise of old school directors like John Ford.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 2:30 am

I think it just shows how evil Hollywood is and how most celebs are scum. They gave convicted child rapist Roman Polanski an Oscar and they gave him a standing ovation, these actors still have jobs after brazenly supporting a paedophile. A society that tolerates child rape will tolerate anything.

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Oct 2017, 3:45 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
I think it just shows how evil Hollywood is and how most celebs are scum. They gave convicted child rapist Roman Polanski an Oscar and they gave him a standing ovation, these actors still have jobs after brazenly supporting a paedophile. A society that tolerates child rape will tolerate anything.

It has nothing to do with Hollywood. A large percentage of people are bad in this world. It just seems more prevalent in Hollywood because others put celebs on a pedestal. They're just like us...some bad and some good.

It's tricky when the person is a rapist because we really shouldn't be letting them succeed in society but I feel like maybe some of those actors weren't supporting him they were supporting his art. Can that enable him? Possibly but people in the entertainment industry are often dreamers/emotional people and they hope that the art that he makes and the praise he gets for it will rehabilitate him. So I don't think that makes them scum. I think it possibly makes them gullible or too forgiving. Such is the case with Woody Allen. What he did was sick but people love his movies for some reason (I don't get the appeal of even his movies myself but for whatever reason people like them)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 4:54 pm

I am starting to get sick of the 'if it really happened everyone would have come out sooner' rhetoric I keep seeing on facebook. Yes because I am sure those same people would totally believe the victims had they come out sooner. :roll:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 5:01 pm

Darmok wrote:
Hillary Clinton Says She Can't Know Exactly How Much She Got From Harvey Weinstein. We Can Help.

According to the FEC, Clinton received exactly $1,492,673.45 from Weinstein since 1999. Start writing that check!

For a woman who sold herself as one of the most qualified and intelligent people ever to run for President, Hillary Clinton can certainly play dumb when she wants to.

In a Wednesday night interview with CNN's Fareed Zakaria, Clinton claimed that her longtime pal Weinstein was leading a secret life as a sexual predator, and that she knew nothing about his extracurricular activities. That might be fair - after all, Weinstein seemed to hide his behavior from people in political power, the Obamas and Clintons included.

But Clinton also claimed that she would be unable to return the money Weinstein gave to and bundled for her Presidential campaign because there was no way to give the money back. She'd "re-donate" some of the money she received personally when she makes her regular 10% tithe at the end of the year, instead.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/22207/hil ... ly-zanotti

And your point is what? Would you prefer she write this scumbag a refund check? She should probably donate all of the money he gave to an organization who helps sexual assault victims and keep none of it in my opinion, but she is kind of a scumbag so not going to happen. I am sure right wing politicians he's interacted with/associated with also weren't aware of his criminal activity at the time.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 6:50 pm

The $1.5M figure includes bundling, which are contributions from others collected at events. The host of the event gets credit for bundling the other contributions under some arcane loophole in our election laws.

LupineSnowstorm
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 6:57 pm

I feel like the academy kicking Weinstein out was the right thing to do, but I'm kinda surprised they stripped him of his membership and not Polanski (who's actually been covicted).

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 8:08 pm

Sounds like a magnificent piece of work, I'm just wondering - if it took this long, why now?

The other part - I'm not even sure how relevant it is that this guy was a big-time democrat. On one hand both parties can point to major scandals and idiots and if we decide to emblemize each other on our perverts our system is pretty much toast.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 8:44 pm

Nickchick wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:

It has nothing to do with Hollywood. A large percentage of people are bad in this world. It just seems more prevalent in Hollywood because others put celebs on a pedestal. They're just like us...some bad and some good.

It's tricky when the person is a rapist because we really shouldn't be letting them succeed in society but I feel like maybe some of those actors weren't supporting him they were supporting his art. Can that enable him? Possibly but people in the entertainment industry are often dreamers/emotional people and they hope that the art that he makes and the praise he gets for it will rehabilitate him. So I don't think that makes them scum. I think it possibly makes them gullible or too forgiving. Such is the case with Woody Allen. What he did was sick but people love his movies for some reason (I don't get the appeal of even his movies myself but for whatever reason people like them)

I agree. Having been around other writers, I can tell you that's a point where artists and Aspies overlap. It's no accident that many people involved in the arts are on the autistic spectrum.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 11:01 pm

Democrats also need to reject authoritarianism on their side. Rape under color of authority happens often.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 1:15 am

Our own Courtney Love on the topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g70XbYd0bZ8

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 2:19 am

underwater wrote:

I wonder if she was ignored because she's a drug addict.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 2:21 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
underwater wrote:

I think so. If she was a person that people took seriously, Weinstein would have had his lawyers after her.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 2:26 am

underwater wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
underwater wrote:

I think so. If she was a person that people took seriously, Weinstein would have had his lawyers after her.

Too bad. By the way, not only is she a competent musician, but she's also a decent actor. I especially liked her portrayal of Joan Burroughs in Beat.