Why do I struggle at debates and user to user communication?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Enceladus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2017, 1:04 pm

Even though I'm an experienced forum user on the internet I struggle at debates or user to user communication. I wonder why that is? Could it be related to my autism or Social Phobia or maybe both?

What I typically do in a forum is post opinions or random thoughts or I ask questions. I'm not good at following up questions and just chit chat or keep an argument going for long. It reminds me a bit about how I am away from the net when I'm communicating with other people in my daily life. I think it's some of the reason Why I'm not very good at one to one communication and why I'm also afraid of being with just one person at a time. I'm better at groups, then I'll just pop in and out of a conversation whenever I have something interesting/useful/funny to contribute and then quietly listen to the group continue communicating.

Any one else experience this?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Oct 2017, 4:40 am

Your way of contributing to the forum is totally OK. You are not likely to fall into hot debate - good for you :) You are unlikely to make a fool of yourself.
Oh, maybe here is the issue? I restrict my discussion contribution due to a fear that I could say something inappropriate. Do you?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Enceladus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2017, 9:37 am

magz wrote:
Your way of contributing to the forum is totally OK. You are not likely to fall into hot debate - good for you :) You are unlikely to make a fool of yourself.

I guess so. But how would I know when I make a fool of myself? Maybe I make a fool of my self all the time but I'm not aware of it. I'm not afraid of posting my strange thoughts and questions online to get an understanding of myself and other people. I think that is necessary If I'm to learn anything or get new insights.

magz wrote:
Oh, maybe here is the issue? I restrict my discussion contribution due to a fear that I could say something inappropriate. Do you?

Yes I do the same. I don't want to offend someone or make a fool of myself, I try to think hard about my answers before I post. I usually end up spending a very long time reviewing what I write before I post. But there's so many ways I can write something. It's hard to choose one when there's so many variations I could have made and so many possible answers to a question.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 5:55 pm

Possibly related: The longer the back-and-forth of a conversation goes on, the more tiring I find it to follow even if I'm very interested in it. So all my best contributions are near the beginning. I think it's because communicating is an effort for us, and keeping up that effort wears us out faster than most people.