Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Lelu_4
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Oct 2017, 7:41 pm

Since I can remember I have always wanted long hair, all the pretty girls have or want long hair or so it seems to a child.
And my Mum always wanted me to have long hair...
But as long as I can remember as soon as it got past a certain length I have an overwhelming desire to cut it all off!
It is a default for me when I am feeling overwhelmed or out of control in my life to go and cut my hair shorter.

Having recently been diagnosed as an Aspie, I am not wondering if this is actually a sensory issue?
Are there other people/girls/women who have experienced this?

I still want long hair, but as soon as it's long enough all I do it where it up in a pony tail all the time because I can't stand it out, getting all in my face and on my neck/back. But then I get headaches from wearing it up all day and my scalp feels bruised from it for hours after I take it out.

Is there any way around this?
I am thinking at this point maybe I am just better off finding a nice short hair style and calling it a day!

Exuvian
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2017, 8:03 pm

I might be imagining things, but I thought at one point Amythest, author of the "Ask an Autistic" series mentioned sensory issues as prompting her change to a "pixie" style.

Hair blowing in your eyes, whispering in your ears, or otherwise misbehaving certainly could get aggravating, just as other tactile bothers (tags/labels, scratchy clothes, etc.). I'd say go with what makes you most comfortable.

candleghost
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Oct 2017, 8:04 pm

I used to be the same way -- I always wanted long hair but I always ended up chopping it off when I was overwhelmed or feeling out of control. I've been growing my hair out now for almost four years without cutting it at all (except for trimming the ends every now and then). Part of it is because I developed a fear of having it cut for some reason but I also became determined to grow it to my waist (I have four or five more inches to go and don't know if I'll end up cutting it at that point or keeping it). It does get annoying sometimes, almost to the point of being over-stimulating. What has helped me the most is watching Youtube videos on how to put it into buns and braids and different hairstyles.

I hope that's helpful in some way but if nothing else, I can relate!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 8:13 pm

For most of my life I've been the opposite -- I had long hair and liked it because it was my shield and something to hide behind. I felt protected somehow by that long cape of hair around my face and around my shoulders. It was definitely a hiding thing for me, so the more around my face it was, the happier I was to be shielded from the world. I had no sensory issues with it -- I think my liking of feeling it was something to hide behind actually over-rode and cancelled out any sensory issues with it touching my face. I still had clothing sensory issues but not long hair sensory issues.

Now, however, ill health and aging has actually changed the texture of my hair. It used to be straight and silky and didn't feel bad at all against my neck and face and arms. But now it is coarser and can be frizzy, and that DOES now produce sensory issues with me.

However, I look horrible with short hair, so I keep it long but just wear it loose for a few limited hours per day when I'm out of the house -- and as before, the desire to have it to hide behind when out in public overrides any sensory issues. Once I get back home, I put it up in a bun to get it out of my face and neck.

candleghost

12 Oct 2017, 9:37 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
For most of my life I've been the opposite -- I had long hair and liked it because it was my shield and something to hide behind. I felt protected somehow by that long cape of hair around my face and around my shoulders. It was definitely a hiding thing for me, so the more around my face it was, the happier I was to be shielded from the world. I had no sensory issues with it -- I think my liking of feeling it was something to hide behind actually over-rode and cancelled out any sensory issues with it touching my face. I still had clothing sensory issues but not long hair sensory issues.

Now, however, ill health and aging has actually changed the texture of my hair. It used to be straight and silky and didn't feel bad at all against my neck and face and arms. But now it is coarser and can be frizzy, and that DOES now produce sensory issues with me.

However, I look horrible with short hair, so I keep it long but just wear it loose for a few limited hours per day when I'm out of the house -- and as before, the desire to have it to hide behind when out in public overrides any sensory issues. Once I get back home, I put it up in a bun to get it out of my face and neck.

I can relate to this. My hair has become something to hide behind now, something akin to a security blanket.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 10:00 pm

I stopped cutting my hair when my hair cutter broke. it has been halfway down my back for several years now. have to wear it in a ponytail or else it is totally out of control in any breeze. even tied up, loose stranges get in my eyes and mouth and it sometimes bugs me, but my overarching goal is to grow it as long as it will grow. so I put up with the sensory things.

Exuvian
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2017, 10:10 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I stopped cutting my hair when my hair cutter broke. it has been halfway down my back for several years now. have to wear it in a ponytail or else it is totally out of control in any breeze. even tied up, loose stranges get in my eyes and mouth and it sometimes bugs me, but my overarching goal is to grow it as long as it will grow. so I put up with the sensory things.

Gotta trim the split-ends off every few months though, or it'll continue to fray and be prone to tangling and breakage. That would ultimately be a limiting factor to overall length.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 10:12 pm

Noting my age...I will tell you that I've never had particularly " long " hair ever :|, even thugh I liked rock 'n' roll music 8O. More later.

Walk with crutch , . Only two teeth , 5&1/2 toes , haven't had prescription glasses in so many years , no passport , no bank account...Wounds post-my last amputation that still haven't healed...If only I could rest and get some treatment!
I'd like to go back to college SO much<sob> - but making the applications would take help (not financial) which people have not been willing to give me:-(.
So many things stolen/otherwise disappeared from me , having to replace them over & over , spending my money to do that:-( .
SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS (in fact, more than that.) stolen & taken from me in these last months:-(.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 10:14 pm

Exuvian wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Gotta trim the split-ends off every few months though, or it'll continue to fray and be prone to tangling and breakage. That would ultimately be a limiting factor to overall length.

thank you for the info :flower: I already know it won't grow longer than halfway down my back as it has stabilized at that length since 2015. as long as I use Pantene and brush it twice per day then ponytail it, it behaves.

xatrix26
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Oct 2017, 10:56 pm

Lelu_4 wrote:
Since I can remember I have always wanted long hair, all the pretty girls have or want long hair or so it seems to a child.
And my Mum always wanted me to have long hair...
But as long as I can remember as soon as it got past a certain length I have an overwhelming desire to cut it all off!
It is a default for me when I am feeling overwhelmed or out of control in my life to go and cut my hair shorter.

Having recently been diagnosed as an Aspie, I am not wondering if this is actually a sensory issue?
Are there other people/girls/women who have experienced this?

I still want long hair, but as soon as it's long enough all I do it where it up in a pony tail all the time because I can't stand it out, getting all in my face and on my neck/back. But then I get headaches from wearing it up all day and my scalp feels bruised from it for hours after I take it out.

Well I'm not a woman but I have had long hair before and I can definitely tell you that I always felt over-stimulated with all that hair on. Always getting in the way, sometimes all the hairs don't behave as I want, do I have split ends, does it draw too much attention, etc etc. When I actually managed to get it all cut off I felt as if a great weight had been lifted not only from my head but from my psyche.

Being an Severe Aspie myself I can definitely say that long hair is a sensory overload issue like anything else is like light, the feel of certain fabrics, and noises. Apparently Aspies like us need everything, including our hair, to be neat and efficient or else it weighs on our minds and overstimulates.

Overstimulation can lead to meltdowns and that kind of thing is extremely hard on the heart. Take it from a guy who has had a heart attack at only 34 years old (42 now) and I can attest to this.

Last edited by xatrix26 on 14 Oct 2017, 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Embla
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Oct 2017, 12:53 am

Yes! I've had it exactly the same way!
Couldn't stand it once it got to that certain length, and shaved it all off in frustration.
I'm not sure if this is a sensory issue, as I have NT friends who's had the same "problem".

Right now my hair is longer than it's ever been. I've just forgotten to cut it off, and I believe it is because it passed that certain annoying length over the winter. Since I have no heating, I wear a hat at all times in that season, which it why I didn't notice it. Seems like you only have to fight through those few months of annoying length, and once it's passed that, it's no problem anymore.
Or, It's still a bit annoying when let out (just keeping it like this 'cause the boyfriend likes it) but as long as it's always tied up I don't really notice it. And it's great to have in the winter. Like an extra hat :D

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 5:49 am

I'm like that too. Feeling the tips of my hair on my face disturbs me too much especially if they're unhealthy. Last time when I cut my hair I was so blinded by anger that I cut it too short and really badly. Literally chopped it off. My boyfriend needed to fix it for me.