It's hard to enjoy when things are working out...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 2:04 am

IDK I just can't help feeling like that, like recently me and my boyfriend rented an apartment, we haven't moved in yet but everything is set to go...and it just seems so perfect that we were out searching for places and one my boyfriend had called which he wasn't even sure which one it was called us and said they had an apartment that was perfectly in our price range. So we went and looked at it and even though it has a pretty tiny living room we decided it was the best deal we were going to get and it has a back door going out to a patio and yard so if either of us ever feel too cramped in there we can always step out.

I mean those are all good things, I just worry about it being too good to be true...like I have just had a lot of things go downhill in my life after getting all excited for it only to be dissapointed I am just used to it I guess. So I guess I just can't help worrying this will be one of those things that is too good to be true because it actually is...or if I am just letting worries from my past get to me. It's probably the latter, because also after so much crap why shouldn't this work out well? I am not in a bad enough mental state to self sabotage any of it, so there is that.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Oct 2017, 5:11 am

I felt that way when I found a bf who genuinely loved me - that it is too good to be true, that I would end up with even more severe trauma because that is my f*cking destiny. But it worked. Not the "and they lived happily ever after" fairy tale way but good enough.
Finding the right apartament will not change your life to a chain of success but it is a good thing. Just a good thing. It will not end your toil and struggle but it is a good change.
Anyway, does it come with all the furniture or are you going to buy some equipment on your own? I like the patio thing, I wish I lived in a warmer climate to have one.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 7:42 am

I know exactly that feeling; I know what you mean. How you can get so used to things always being sh***y or difficult, that when something comes along where it actually goes right, gets better, or is the lucky break you had hoped for, the right apartment, the right person even -- it's hard to enjoy it because you're wondering what the catch is!

I get so used to things being difficult that when one thing is just what I wanted I almost can't be present in that feeling, it's so foreign to me.

I don't know what to tell you except just keep trying to be glad you found the right place. It's very exciting to move into a new place especially when it's going to be an improvement on life as it was before then.

I can only dream right now of actually finding a better living situation. For many reasons it's just not possible for me, but it's become my only longing and yearning. My life would instantly be halfway better in a number of really key ways if I were to be able to find another apartment and get away from where I am. I'm serious, a lot would be transformed. Not all my stress factors would be gone, I'm realistic, but there are several big ones that would vanish overnight.

Anyway, just to say, try to enjoy it, it's such a great feeling to get into a better place. I have had that in my life in the past and I wish I could have it again.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 7:45 am

Whether it turns out or not, you will get through it - if it doesn't work, you will learn from it; if it does, you will experience joy. Go with flow for now. You seem to have grown in inner strength over the past few years, and maybe it was so gradual to you that you hardly noticed. I noticed... :)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 1:51 pm

magz wrote:
I felt that way when I found a bf who genuinely loved me - that it is too good to be true, that I would end up with even more severe trauma because that is my f*cking destiny. But it worked. Not the "and they lived happily ever after" fairy tale way but good enough.
Finding the right apartament will not change your life to a chain of success but it is a good thing. Just a good thing. It will not end your toil and struggle but it is a good change.
Anyway, does it come with all the furniture or are you going to buy some equipment on your own? I like the patio thing, I wish I lived in a warmer climate to have one.

We'll have to buy more furniture, we do have some already that we can bring but we'll need more. But yeah there is no real reason this shouldn't be a good thing. So may as well just enjoy it.

AusWolf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Oct 2017, 2:09 pm

I know the feeling. I bought my dream car about a month ago, and I was feeling the same while driving home - it just couldn't be true. Even thought I had to spend £800 on break repairs, tyres and whatnot after two weeks, I still feel like it's my dream car, and I can still hardly believe that it's just outside the house, and all mine. The weird thing is, I still act like someone without a car - I haven't gone on road trips, though I always wanted to, and I still do my shopping on foot at the supermarket just around the corner. I have only driven to work so far. :D

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 2:25 am

B19 wrote:
Whether it turns out or not, you will get through it - if it doesn't work, you will learn from it; if it does, you will experience joy. Go with flow for now.

Agreed. Things will happen - either this will work out or it won't. If it does, great. And it can. I often find that using something as an example of something that did in fact work out - a bad situation that got 100% better - helps convince you. I rest a hand over the scar where I had the surgery that ended my chronic pain condition. Just think to myself about how much pain I was in, how sick I was, how hopeless everything seemed - and then things got better. It all worked out. I'm healthy now. Good things do happen.
But if it doesn't work out - then you don't have to be married to it, and hang all your emotional balance on that one issue. If it doesn't work out, then something else is bound to happen, and maybe that'll be just as good, or different. You and your boyfriend will have each other. Life goes on. Just because something doesn't work out doesn't have to be so bad.
... But I hope it does anyway. :)