Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Oct 2017, 4:48 am

Simple Question.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Oct 2017, 4:57 am

There are lots of USA-specific issues... but I wouldn't like to restrict them, it mirrors the distribution of WP users.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 8:58 am

No, not for me anyway.

If there appears to be more Americans talking about obviously American-based issues, that only stands to reason because the US is a country with a huge population. Naturally it's going to be over-represented in the member demographics here.

But there's also a good spread of other countries. There are people from all over Europe and the British Isles. There are people in the middle and far east. There are people on the Indian subcontinent. It's not like it's all Americans all the time.

Besides, American culture is probably the most universally familiar one around the world. Most people in other countries still know what's being discussed because they've been at least exposed to knowledge of it even if it's something that only happens in the US, originates in the US, or regards US customs or laws or diagnosis, etc.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 9:17 am

I'm an American----but I do believe other countries and cultures are represented well. But not so much in most of Asia and (especially) Africa outside of South Africa.

Most of the membership is either North American (US and Canada), from the British Isles area (UK and Ireland), or from Europe. There is a well-known, prominent guy from Lebanon. There's an American who lives in Turkey. There are quite a few Australians and New Zealanders. There are some Brazilians and a few other South Americans. There's a guy originally from Trinidad and Tobago who lives in the US.

It would be interesting if some person from, say, Ghana, would sign up with us.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 9:28 am

Oops yes I forgot about the Australians and New Zealanders! Some of which this place would not be the same without!! Embarrassed face here! :oops:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 9:33 am

WrongPlanet.net is where the heart is.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 2:38 pm

Too American for what?

Its an American based English language website that attracts English speakers from around the globe. Which has the effect of skewing towards the English speaking nations of the world -the largest of which is the USA.

So it biased towards the folks who use the site - Americans. And secondarily for Brits and other Anglosphere countries (Canada, NZ, Aus, South Africa, etc). So its just right for the folks who use it.

There are a fair number of nonAngloshere users from Europe, Asia, the middle east, and Latin America. Asian Indians have come and gone. We had one young lady from South Korea (who seems to have gone awol).

The Scandanavian countries , and Finland, are well represented despite their small populations.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 7:59 pm

I'm an Australian and have been told by some posters to not post my comments on American issues on a few occasions.

With that in mind I would like an Australian/New Zealand (UK as well?) thread to post news relevant to our local region if that's not too much trouble. We could double up with the UK to beef up the numbers as we are culturally closer to the Brits than we are to the Americans

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 8:02 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
So it biased towards the folks who use the site - Americans. And secondarily for Brits and other Anglosphere countries (Canada, NZ, Aus, South Africa, etc). So its just right for the folks who use it.

I think there's a lot of local US stuff that doesn't really interest us

Perhaps regional discussion threads could be divided
America -
Oceania -
UK -
Europe -
Asia -

RikMayall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2017, 8:04 pm

YES.

So much.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 10:51 pm

Australia is often not thought of.
I get asked if I live in the UK or Canada instead.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 11:04 pm

I always feel that I must mention what country I'm from frequently on WP, Youtube, Facebook, and just about anything American-dominated (which is practically everything) so I won't be mistaken for an American. Because most Canadians do not like that at all. Sometimes Canadians will even act extra-polite and stereotypical around people from elsewhere, especially Americans, just so we won't be mistaken for them. I read that some Americans mean it as a compliment when they say we're just like them and don't know why we get offended. That is just part of our culture.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 12:10 am

Raleigh wrote:
Australia is often not thought of.
I get asked if I live in the UK or Canada instead.

To be honest even we Aussies don't really get into deep and meaningful discussion about ourselves. Just watch an episode of Q&A on the ABC network

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2017, 12:28 am

Nah.
Most conversations demands that you know the subject to be able to join in on it, and since there are a lot of american-specific discussions, us outsiders aren't always able to follow them. But there are obviously many other discussions going on that has specific topics that not everyone can relate to. American or not.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 8:11 pm

I do get stuck into American stuff as it often resonates with similar issues "down under"
If I get it wrong at least I learn something

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 7:32 pm

As someone from Asia... Even I'd say 'no'. :lol:
I might as well perceive my current country's capital more 'American' than this very website.
Yes, most urban NTs from where I live are culturally confused to some degree, or at least colonial mentality is more pronounced.

This website, from my perspective, is 'neutral'. Even if most sets of data, discussions, issues, and representations came from America, it doesn't make it American.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.