Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 7:56 am

Here's the weird irony: I used to make a joke about wanting to be buried in my local Target store parking lot because I really love that store. I even buy bread there. Here's what happened: I was stopped at a stop sign ready to make a left out onto this long, curvy corridor of a parking lot exit that leads into a major highway. For some reason, my foot didn't want to press the gas. It was locked on the break. I couldn't move my foot. My butt felt really heavy even heavier than it actually is. I can't explain it. Well, some big SUV used this exit to enter!! She was going really faster that she should have been going. If I had gone at that very second as I technically should have, I would have been killed or very seriously injured. I can't frickin' believe it. The previous week, I remember saying to myself as I entered that very same parking lot, of what a shame it would be if somebody came in the wrong way. I had to call the store and have them reach the people in charge of cutting down shrubs. If those shrubs were cut, I would've seen her coming. Even then, it may have been too late. Nonetheless, I'm here by the grace of God. The benefit of this was that I seriously thought about forgiving all the mean things people have done to me and my family. Also to forgive myself too because I'm NO saint myself. I'm turning my life over to God. This feeling I have right now might disappear but I'll try remind myself of how good it is to be alive and to come home to my family. To forgive and forget but within reason simply for self-preservation.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 8:42 am

Wow, that's a very scary thing to have happen to you! I can see how your life could have been over in the blink of an eye -- there's no telling when someone else is going to drive right into you even when you're in the correct place.

Last weekend, for the second time, a driver of a car swerved directly into my path as I was cycling on my pushbike. He was turning into the side street I was riding past and he had not even seen me coming along. It was only by a sliver of lucky timing that I did not smash right into the side of his car and go flying; it's also lucky I was riding slowly enough that I could brake to avoid that impact. We both stopped, in total freakout, then he just pulled back into the main road and drove on!!

It does make you realize how easily you could just be DEAD in one instant just from ONE thing happening in your day.

I've given up on it being a transformative moment though. I'm too busy just keeping on struggling with practical issues to care about appreciating still being alive after that. I'm just angry these f*****g drivers aren't even bothering to look.

By the way, I worship Target. I now live in a country that doesn't have Target and I miss it. The shops here can't even hold a candle to Target in terms of selection and the balance of quality versus good pricing.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 8:48 am

Whew! You certainly are fortunate to be alive! Backing out in a parking lot is always the most nerve-wracking part of driving and people like that make it even more so.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 6:53 pm

It has to be some kind of intervention, divine or otherwise, that kept you from pressing that brake.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 8:39 pm

EclecticWarrior wrote:
It has to be some kind of intervention, divine or otherwise, that kept you from pressing that brake.

I can't explain it. I just could not move - felt like I was waiting for something but just didn't know what it was.
"a Reprieve". 8O

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 8:49 pm

Good lord... and thank God. I hope they do cut the shrubs back...

I like Target too but mine has a non-lethal parking lot (so far) (touch wood)

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 9:52 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:
EclecticWarrior wrote:

I can't explain it. I just could not move - felt like I was waiting for something but just didn't know what it was.
"a Reprieve". 8O

I totally agree with EclecticWarrior. And I think a reprieve is a good way to look at it.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 8:17 pm

I've had a similar thing where I didn't do what I would usually have done and it saved my life.

Mine was right after I bought my new bike several years ago. I needed to cross a very busy road so decided to use the light/crosswalk for safety. I got the walk sign and was getting ready to ride my bike across like usual and paused and thought, technically, legally you are supposed to walk the bike across not ride, so I got off and started to push my bike across. I got one step into the road, and a car going about 50 mph (waaaayy over the speed limit) comes over the hill and runs the red light. The side of the car was less than one foot from my front tire. Had I ridden the bike across instead of pausing to dismount I would have been killed as I would have been directly in the car's path. I kind of froze right there in the middle of the road for several seconds then realized I should probably finish crossing the road. And then just stared at the road for like 10 minutes as I couldn't believe I was alive and not lying dead in the middle of it. It's crazy weird as I had never walked my bike across an intersection before and doing so that one time literally saved my life.

I'm glad for some reason your foot stayed on the brake :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 10:46 pm

Sweet Pea hugs

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 7:34 pm

THANK YOU ALL FOR CARING AND SHARING :D