D you know of any way to decrease things that overwhelm you?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2017, 6:07 pm

Things like noise, being touched, being called 'hon' or 'dear' by strangers (pet peeves of mine), bright lights, etc.

Do you know of ways to increase your ability to handle them and be less likely to have a shutdown or meltdown if you are around them too much?

I'd love any ideas you have.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 5:17 am

I don't know of any ways to increase your tolerance towards them, but when it comes to things like noise, you can simply avoid them as best you can. A simple solution to a simple problem.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 6:07 am

You could always try to back away if someone tries to touch you... it might come across a bit rude, but isn't it very bad manners to touch other person without their permission in the first place? Or is it not so where you're from?

Also, is it normal for strangers to call others "hon" or "dear" where you're from or do you only get that from men who are being too forward with trying to hit on you?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 8:26 am

Take every 'exposure' as a form of event that 'clicks', not as quantity/quality alone.
In other words, change the context input in social stuffs. And, let it past through and come it may, instead of 'constantly catching' sensations that one might end up micromanaging oneself. That's how I 'take' stuff that supposed to overwhelm me -- that is, instead of shear willpower as a shield or guard by focusing externally, which itself is exhausting as walking in eggshells -- take said willpower to absorb these senses by focusing and working internally with it.

But if that's too incoherent (which is, because what I was supposed to suggest is something done internally and rather intangible enough to describe in a vague fashion), :( I guess you had to find ways to desensitize yourself -- through therapy, self regulation, and conditioning.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 8:31 am

God I wish I had the answer to this question. Well short of sedating the hell out of yourself with pharmaceuticals my only real way is to avoid overstimulating situations altogether. But to be real and honest most of the time I can't avoid the overstimulation as hard as I try. This is something I've struggled with for more than 40 years.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 12:42 pm

Wearing earplugs &/or headphones helps with noise when I can. Drawing is also an interest/distraction I use.

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2017, 2:01 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
You could always try to back away if someone tries to touch you... it might come across a bit rude, but isn't it very bad manners to touch other person without their permission in the first place? Or is it not so where you're from?

Also, is it normal for strangers to call others "hon" or "dear" where you're from or do you only get that from men who are being too forward with trying to hit on you?

It is usually people like cashiers at stores, anyone who works at a stores (like if you ask where something is, you get 'It's over there 'hon'' or something like that. And as far as touching people it is considered normal for people to come up to you and as they say hi they touch your arm or shoulder or sometimes waist. Even if I say that I don't like to be touched, some people forget or are 'touchy' by habit. A lot of people can't say hi to you without putting their hands on your shoulder.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 3:24 pm

Disaccociation, disconnection, derealisation.
It worked for me for decades.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 3:31 pm

How about choosing tops with shoulder pads and other lining, so you can think of it as armour, upon which a touch does not matter? The terms of endearment are probably better than the alternatives, unless you relish alienation. Hearing them, I'd feel safe, if not really recognized.
Perspective is not easy to control, but it can really help. My wife and I once received a letter accusing us of being, in separate paragraphs, both communists and fascists. I considered the combination to be self-cancelling and neutral. My wife was less sanguine.

Romansky123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Oct 2017, 5:29 pm

I would try stim toys stimming always helps me calm down but it's not approved of in Public there's a great site that sells stuff so you can stim without people staring at you I wanna get one actually and for noise invest in noise cancelling headphones

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 6:06 pm

My sensory overloads have decreased over time, but when I feel one coming on I generally try to escape the situation if I can.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

rileydaboss2000
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2017, 5:46 pm

I have many things that overwhelm me, and I have good methods like having a time out, get peace and quiet along with having a chilled break from all the stress. It helps me relax and maintain my composure, there have been some other ways but this is the main one, it helps me a lot :)

capa
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 11:02 am

~Noise: listen to classical music.
~Sensory/Light overload: shut youself in a dark room,put a pillow on your face and relax.
~Strangers' akwardness: take a step back and keep your distances.
That's how I deal with discomfort.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 10:20 pm

Uhura wrote:
Things like noise, being touched, being called 'hon' or 'dear' by strangers (pet peeves of mine), bright lights, etc.

Do you know of ways to increase your ability to handle them and be less likely to have a shutdown or meltdown if you are around them too much?

Being called hon' or dear too much causes shutdowns/meltdowns for you, or you were just including them as general annoyances?

Nuttyshelf
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Oct 2017, 1:28 am

Uhura wrote:

When I want to be away with things or people that distract me, It's my habit to listen to my fave songs. All I need is an earphone and a relaxing place to stay.