Parents could face fine, jail under city’s anti-bullying law

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 1:12 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/parents-could-face-fine-jail-under-citys-anti-bullying-law/2017/10/09/a7ee2a7a-acf7-11e7-9b93-b97043e57a22_story.html

Quote:
Parents of children found bullying other minors could face jail time under a new law approved in a western New York community.

The law went into effect Oct. 1 in North Tonawanda, a city just north of Buffalo.

Members of the North Tonawanda Common Council hope the new law will put a stop to bullying by holding parents accountable for their children’s actions. Parents could be fined $250 and sentenced to 15 days in jail if twice in a 90-day period their child violates the city’s curfew or any other city law, including bullying.

North Tonawanda officials say the law is geared toward minors who repeatedly bully other children in public places.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 6:44 pm

This is stupid.

While I don't deny that parents can influence their kids negatively, the consequences should fall on the child. Of course I'm not talking about jail (or young offenders' institution) unless it's very serious, but bullying is a serious problem and it should be tackled through the offenders.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

snollygoster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2017, 1:41 pm

I would much rather see the bullies themselves get jailed.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 10:18 am

I think it depends how far it goes, if the school has brought it to the attention of the parents and they have failed to discipline their children then I think its reasonable to punish them.

blast335
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Oct 2017, 12:09 pm

I think that if all of the following are true
1. The parent has been informed of the problem for a reasonable amount of time
2. The parent has made little to no attempt to discipline their child and change their behavior
then I think that the parent should be punished

However if any of the following are true
1. The parent is not been informed or was only recently informed
2. The parent has made reasonable attempts to stop the bullying behavior and has disciplined their child, yet the bullying continues
then it should not fall onto the parent.

I speak on behalf of no-one but myself. For how can I represent anyone else? If someone shares my opinion on a topic, are we now the same person? With the same opinions on all topics? No, of course not.
-Blast335 (me)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 9:31 am

Parents, tell your kids now that if they bully anyone, you can be taken away and so will they and that is a scariest thing for a child to hear and having that thought of being taken from their home and put in a new home with random strangers.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 2:54 pm

The internet has taken bullying to a whole new a dimension, and simultaneously made it easier to classify more things as bullying.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 8:44 pm

whatever happened to reform schools?