Teacher had class vote on whether Autisic boy is annoying

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 1:35 am

Suit: PBG teacher made class vote on whether autistic boy was annoying

Quote:
A Palm Beach Gardens elementary school teacher forced a 9-year-old autistic boy to stand in front of his class twice last year while classmates voted on whether the boy was “annoying,” a federal lawsuit alleges.

When the boy began crying and turned away to hide his tears, the Marsh Pointe Elementary teacher physically forced him to face the class, compounding his humiliation, the suit claims.

The suit, filed against the school district by the boy’s mother, claims that the teacher, Julie Salvatoriello, violated federal bans on discrimination against the disabled and had a track record of complaints from parents about her previous treatment of children.

The county school district was negligent, the suit says, for allowing her to “be in a position to cause severe emotional harm to (the boy) by intentionally humiliating him in front of the other children in his class.”

School district officials declined to comment on the case. Salvatoriello did not respond to messages seeking comment.

At the time of the incidents, the boy was known to suffer a speech impairment, and his individual education plan acknowledged that he “needed assistance focusing in the classroom and following classroom rules,” the suit says.

While he had not yet been formally diagnosed with autism, the suit argues that “it was clear from the symptoms exhibited to his teachers” that he was likely on the autism spectrum.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 3:18 am

One of her punishments should be having to stand out in public wearing a sandwich board that says "I abuse disabled children".

B19
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 6:15 am

I am glad that this teacher has been named and the subsequent publicity will come up in all Google searches etc. Hopefully it will not only stop such sociopathic behaviour on her part but encourage other offenders in teaching to review their own tendencies re abuse of power and the abuse of targeted children.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 2:30 pm

I fear she might not receive a civil penalty or it will be a "slap on the wrist" because he was not diagnosed at that the time this occurred.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 2:30 am

the fascists on top set the tone for the fascists on the bottom.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 3:54 pm

In Australia there is a habit of transferring such teachers to other schools if she works in the government sector

A bit like the police and catholic church do with wayward priests and cops - move them until the heat dies down

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 4:14 pm

It happens here too. The analogy is apt.