Interesting video for toe-walkers - medieval walking style

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 3:06 am

https://pictorial.jezebel.com/this-vide ... 1819217663

Now, you may or may not agree with this, but his reference to historical illustrations and art make a lot of sense.

Also, anyone who's ever done martial arts has learnt to use their feet mote actively.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 11:01 pm

I'm going to go back to being a ball walker.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 1:27 pm

Haha! I tried it, and now my back is sore, but it actually gives you a better workout than a regular walk, and I have to say it does wonders for poise! I'm being converted!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 1:32 pm

You should balance a book on your head....one of those big hard-bound volumes...

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 3:11 pm

I never wore shoes when i was a kid. That is exactly how I walked. You cannot run/walk barefoot on gravel or in the woods by landing on your heel first. It hurts!

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 8:22 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You should balance a book on your head....one of those big hard-bound volumes...

Sounds good, like what they used to learn in finishing schools :mrgreen: Fancy that.
Trouble with that technique is that is doesn't quite let the body move freely. My back's a bit of a mess, so this works better for me.

I just thought that although a lot of autistics have bad posture, maybe it doesn't quite have to be that way?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 9:50 am

If one becomes a hunchback, one's view of the world becomes extremely limited.

I would definitely agree. For most people, bad posture is something which could be corrected.

Would you, in Scandinavia, say "The Rain In Spain Falls Mainly on the Plain?"

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 1:44 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If one becomes a hunchback, one's view of the world becomes extremely limited.

I would definitely agree. For most people, bad posture is something which could be corrected.

Would you, in Scandinavia, say "The Rain In Spain Falls Mainly on the Plain?"

Oh, no.....wrong language, for starters :D And the snobbery was absolutely illegal when I was little. Returning with a vengeance today, though. I was recently lectured on the pronounciation of certain words by someone who moved here as an adult. She was wrong, of course, but as she was my boss at the time, I avoided lecturing her on the linguistic origins of certain place names :mrgreen:

I just hate it when I notice that I slouch.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 9:50 am

Yeah...me too.

When I walk these days, I feel sort of "old." I don't want to give off an "old" image; I value my youth too much LOL

I'm also rather short, so slouching is an absolute no-no with me. I try to make sure I stand and walk erect--but also try to make sure I don't seem stiff while I do this.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 2:45 pm

Well, I'm tall, so slouching isn't any better for me. Just gives me a bad back. So far, I've been walking like a damsel for a couple of days and amazingly my back is a lot better. Who'd have thought it? I'm just really interested in stuff like that. Working on posture, breathing and footwork has made my life a lot better - I'm as clumsy as they come, all the kids think it's hilarious :wink: Helps with public speaking and keeps me from tripping over things....to some extent. :oops:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 7:16 pm

I agree. Slouching for tall people is probably worse than it is for short people.

I'm wondering if societal considerations caused you to slouch previously. I've known tall women who slouched because they didn't want to seem as tall as they are. I've even known tall men like that.

In a different sense, I really can't afford to slouch---I'm 164.5 centimeters tall (5 foot 4.75 inches). if I slouched, I'd probably go down to 160 centimeters or something. I'm only close to 5 foot 5 because I have a big head LOL

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Oct 2017, 2:51 am

I must examine how I walk barefoot outdoors, it is natural and pleasant for me.
Barefoot at home I easily switch between ball walking and heel walking, depending on pace - fast barefoot is ball walking, slow is a bit marine-style not-losing-contact-with-the-ground heel walking.
I've been prefering barefoot since early childhood so probably I learned it naturally.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 8:39 am

I like walking barefoot...but not on pebbly concrete.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 12:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I agree. Slouching for tall people is probably worse than it is for short people.

I'm wondering if societal considerations caused you to slouch previously. I've known tall women who slouched because they didn't want to seem as tall as they are. I've even known tall men like that.

In a different sense, I really can't afford to slouch---I'm 164.5 centimeters tall (5 foot 4.75 inches). if I slouched, I'd probably go down to 160 centimeters or something. I'm only close to 5 foot 5 because I have a big head LOL

Yeah, I've heard that theory a few times - for some reason men seem attached to it. I just have poor muscle tone, and when I forget myself, I slouch, or I get stressed and sort of pull into myself. To compensate, I've developed a habit of sitting and walking ramrod straight, but when I am stressed or distracted I forget myself. Am always on the lokout for hacks - posture is one of the things people react to a lot, I think, when it comes to seeing you as confident or not.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 9:44 am

Of course you know I was stating only a theory--that is based upon what both women and men have told me.

I knew a guy who slouched on purpose--even though he was only about 190 cms tall--only "average" tall, not extremely tall.

I'm "attached" to the above based upon the above. Of course, it might not apply to you.

Have people found you too "stiff" when you consciously seek to have perfect posture? In my case, they have.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 2:49 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Of course you know I was stating only a theory--that is based upon what both women and men have told me.

I knew a guy who slouched on purpose--even though he was only about 190 cms tall--only "average" tall, not extremely tall.

I'm "attached" to the above based upon the above. Of course, it might not apply to you.

Have people found you too "stiff" when you consciously seek to have perfect posture? In my case, they have.

Sorry, sorry, was irritable, and it's not your fault. The truth is, a couple of guys have asked me, ever-so-politely, whether I slouch because I don't want people to see my tits. Just being helpful, you see. Which tells you a lot about what these guys think about.

The answer is a combination of poor muscle tone, vitamin D deficiency and a back injury, that destroyed my previously good posture. Recently, I seem to be getting better. I lost a bit of weight, and also, although it seems weird, the diagnosis thing was such a positive development for me that I simply feel stronger and happier, and I'm standing up straighter.

It's possible that people have found me 'too stiff', but honestly, for a woman, that's all right. I think I am about averagely attractive, but I've never had to deal with a lot of the sexual harrassment that a lot of other women on the spectrum have had to put up with, and I think that partly has to do with looking a bit 'scary'. I'm ok with that.