Only with a lot of effort 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Probably could 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Definitely could 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 42

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 8:14 pm

You are in a soundproof booth wearing headphones. Through the headphones you hear a recording, the same voice speaking two totally different sentences that are played at the exact same time, one in each ear. You only get to hear them once. You then have to recite both sentences in a specific order: first the one you heard in your left ear, then the one you heard in your right ear.

This repeats about 15 times with different sentences each time, with a several seconds in between while you recite the sentences. Immediately after, you do a second round of 15 more sentences, except this time you have to recite the one you heard in your right ear first.

No partial credit. You have to recite each sentence 100% correctly or you lose a point. I can't find the passing score. Let's say you have to get 75% or more correct.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 8:27 pm

I doubt it.
In the test where the audiologist makes you repeat the single sentence exactly as you hear it, I fail miserably.
Two sentences at the same time would sound like white noise to me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 8:37 pm

I already feel overwhelmed when people are talking over each other and I feel that way whenever it happens on Dr. Phil and I just want to yell "shut up and one at a time, don't interrupt, wait until s/he is done talking." I even can't stand it when my kids fight because already I feel overwhelmed. I don't think I would be able to do the test.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 8:53 pm

I couldn't, I have major auditory processing issues. I can't even understand what someone is saying if there's too much background noise that isn't other voices. Processing two voices at the same time isn't going to happen for me.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2017, 11:07 pm

Nope. I can follow a conversation when there's some background noise, such as traffic or music. But if the background noise is other people talking, I can't hear a word.
My boyfriend is getting more and more annoyed that I have to stop the movie or turn down the radio each time he just wants to say something really quick.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 11:21 pm

Embla wrote:
My boyfriend is getting more and more annoyed that I have to stop the movie or turn down the radio each time he just wants to say something really quick.

I do that too! I never really thought about that as a symptom of auditory processing.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 11:28 pm

Embla wrote:
Nope. I can follow a conversation when there's some background noise, such as traffic or music. But if the background noise is other people talking, I can't hear a word.

I often tell my son to talk louder so I can hear him. That happens when there is other noise.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 12:56 am

Multitasking hell

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Oct 2017, 1:35 am

starkid wrote:
Embla wrote:

I do that too! I never really thought about that as a symptom of auditory processing.

Me neither! I just found out last week.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 2:27 am

I'd be really impressed if anyone could pull this off and get results for both sentences that even begin to approach perfection. This coming from someone with no audio processing deficits.

I'd hear one sentence and bits of the second, or parts of both.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 2:38 am

DataB4 wrote:
I'd be really impressed if anyone could pull this off and get results for both sentences that even begin to approach perfection. This coming from someone with no audio processing deficits.

I'd hear one sentence and bits of the second, or parts of both.

Well that is apparently common. I got 17/30 correct for one ear and 16/30 correct for the other ear, and that was considered abnormal by more than one standard deviation, so "normal" people must score a good deal higher. The test wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, so maybe you'd find it easier than it seems.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 6:59 am

I put "probably not." It sounds hard, but if the sentences would be short and only have familiar, common words that I use in every day life then I might be able to do it.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 8:22 am

I think I would find that test really difficult as it's part of an issue I have but couldn't say for definite ( I think anxiety affects my processing so it might flaw the test ) , is there an online test ?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 10:47 am

Looks like a good litmus test for one of the Aspie traits. I'd be interested to see the spread of results that Aspies and NTs would get. I doubt the NTs would get it perfect, though I don't much doubt that on average they'd do better than I could. ASD is such a subjective thing that I'd like to see what happens with such a stark and objective test. Not that it would be diagnostic on its own of course. I often wish my DX procedure had involved some direct practical testing instead of self-assessment and hearsay.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 10:58 am

No. I could probably do 3-4 tries max, if any. 30 tries sounds like huge effort at first, then desperate fighting for focus, then losing focus and getting into sensory overload and then finally experiencing a shutdown for the rest of the day.

garysoneji
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Oct 2017, 11:10 am

Absolutely not, but with my ADD, I don't think I could do well with just 30 of the same sentence before losing focus and panicking. I also have a hard time believing many people could pass the test. Most of the people I've encountered can't even repeat what I said accurately; they always translate it to what they understand.