Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Romansky123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Oct 2017, 1:31 pm

Does anyone else have problems with cleaning and or keeping your area clean when I have to clean my room I see everything thrown everywhere and don't know we're to start or what to do and I can't seem to keep my room clean anyone else have problems with this.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 2:04 pm

Yes. I have a large apartment that is partially a mess.

The trick is to do a little cleaning every day, and over time that amounts to lots. I've also gotten rid of crap that just is in my way or does not contribute to my life, no need to clean what isn't there.

Days
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Oct 2017, 3:03 pm

Yes! I can tidy and clean (once I start I don't stop) however it's keeping things tidy and clean I struggle with. I tend to focus on one thing then before I get chance to put it away I move onto something else and completely forget what I was previously doing or I'll say I'll move things later but forget and by the time I remember it's a mess again.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 3:16 pm

Not so much. My room gets messy fast but the mess is mostly consistent: clothes, trash and dishes. So it isn't that difficult to clean if I decide to.

Dishes to the kitchen, clothes to a bin or closet, trash to another bin. OK. Much better. Now lets wipe the floor and I am done.

Other stuff are more problematic. Fortunately I have a lot of decorative storage boxes so I just put the stuff inside them, hoping I find them when I need them. I have some system, there is a box for:
- pens, scissors, papers etc.
- medicine,
- cosmetics,
- repair/MacGyver stuff,
- documents,
- snacks,
- everything else that is useful but doesn't fit any category x2.

There is still a lot of stuff outside the boxes - ones I use a lot or used a lot but didn't bother to clean up when I stopped because I didn't have any occasion to do a major clean up - but my room is certainly one I can live in.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 5:01 pm

Days wrote:
Yes! I can tidy and clean (once I start I don't stop) however it's keeping things tidy and clean I struggle with. I tend to focus on one thing then before I get chance to put it away I move onto something else and completely forget what I was previously doing or I'll say I'll move things later but forget and by the time I remember it's a mess again.

This!

And I think partly because of this, I'm reluctant to start cleaning because I know I'm going to be at it for a long time.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 7:29 pm

When you paint a bridge or a ship, you start at one end and work your way to the other. Then you go back and do it again, because it took years. I have six rooms or areas thereof. Usually, one is pretty fresh, and one is pretty much a mess. I don't like just sweeping up a few crumbs, but sometimes it takes quite a build up to inspire me to go look for the original surface. Sometimes, there are several overdue cleaning jobs, but it is the brassware that winds up gleaming, or an old pile of papers getting sorted.
In general, I have a hard time knowing where to put things, and then figuring out where I put them, so having one corner of everything visible, and piles that are still in chronological order can save me time. I'm pretty clean, though. I enjoy silversmithing, and half the stuff I do makes a lot of dirt, and the other half has to be super clean, so I learned separation.
As a lad, I hated to tidy up because it was always imposed by a timetable, and spoiled the fun. I'm finally learning that it makes a lot of sense to put things away soon after a job is done. Having at least one table surface clear to use right away if inspired is encouraging.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 10:13 pm

Not really. I like to be active so I clean to keep active and burn more energy. That keeps me motivated than putting it off.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 11:15 pm

Romansky123 wrote:
Does anyone else have problems with cleaning and or keeping your area clean when I have to clean my room I see everything thrown everywhere and don't know we're to start or what to do and I can't seem to keep my room clean anyone else have problems with this.

I have always had a problem with the cleaning thing. I can't clean my toilet bowl or bathtub and vacuuming is always a trying time. Perhaps this is because I'm a germaphobe and obsessive compulsive as well as this being an ASD issue.

I am not entirely sure of the reason for all of this.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 11:36 pm

I also have a problem with cleaning. I don't know where to start and I don't give myself the time I need to give my place a good cleaning. When my one of my friends dad is gone hunting for a couple of weeks, I plan to do a really good cleaning.

AbleBaker
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2017, 11:59 pm

I'm innately neat - things get put back where they belong when I'm finished with them - but cleaning is another matter so dust tends to build up.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 2:10 am

I don't have a problem with organizing my stuff since I always put everything back in place after use (well, my closet and the like are a bit messy, but that's because my apartment is too small and there isn't enough storage space), but I do have trouble with vacuuming, washing the floors etc. The apartment is small so it's not really hard or that time consuming, but... well, I always tend to tell myself "it's not that bad yet; I can do it tomorrow", so sometimes it can get pretty bad before I clean. I'm trying to set a routine that I'd do all the basic cleaning every friday, so I'll see how that'll work out.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 9:16 am

Tidying up can be overdone. If a place is picture-perfect, there's a temptation to not use it. I knew a ship's captain who was afraid to put a magazine down when he was at home. When Feynman transferred to Princeton, he was delighted at the cramped, messy lab, which was getting better results than the crystal palace at a newer institution. There was one university professor who used a 4 X 8' sheet of plywood for a desk to have room for all his papers, and when it got too full, he'd add another sheet on top, with a pulley to access the older work. Creativity involves the juxtaposition of odd ideas, and having them rub elbows in the physical can help.
There was a university student doing field work for the summer, and using one table for his kitchen, toiletries, and lab. So, his wind-up shaver and his balance were close enough that it was trivial for him to weigh his growth of whiskers each day. He discovered that going to get supplies and coming into casual contact with women doubled his production.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 10:57 am

My room is kept in extreme order at all times; I get restless and twitchy if I can see mess in my periphery! Cleaning up one's living space a little each day would be how I'd go about setting up a new routine of preserving tidiness, however. When I do go on a big clean I tend to do everything at once, which is highly tiring and not always what I should be prioritising that day.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 3:33 pm

crystaltermination wrote:
My room is kept in extreme order at all times; I get restless and twitchy if I can see mess in my periphery! Cleaning up one's living space a little each day would be how I'd go about setting up a new routine of preserving tidiness, however. When I do go on a big clean I tend to do everything at once, which is highly tiring and not always what I should be prioritising that day.

I think the key here is how small a mess one is inclined to tackle. For me, moderate disorder is good for the continuity of a work in progress. However, shifting priorities cause several projects to run concurrently, and the build-up can easily become far beyond the scale of "a little each day." For me, that can produce a small area of order, but it fades as the focus moves on.
One friend used to rate her degree of depression by the pile in her sink, and I've found that to be a pretty good clue. Five years ago, I only had a path through my shop, and now there's a well-organized project, and room to dance in there.