Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 3:10 pm

Do people here have a sibling that you want to run away from? I wish I could run away from my sister, we have a love-hate relationship, we never got along REALLY GOOD, I was very close to my mother. My sister is in charge of my trust fund, she is also in charge of my rent & bills, but I’m paying my rent & bills. She thinks she knows everything about me, she thinks she knows how I feel, she wants to put words in my head. She was never like this before my mom & my aunt died. My sister is older, she thinks she is smarter than me, my dad thinks she is smarter too, I finally had enough from my dad, I stopped talking to him over a month ago. My dad swears, yells at me & wants to control me sometimes, he makes me feel so bad & he makes me cry too. I wish I can get away from my sister & my dad, getting away from my sister will be very hard. I feel like I’m trapped, there no way out, I’m struck with her. If my grandmother finds out that I’m not talking to my dad anymore & I don’t want to talk to my sister, my grandmother would not like it, she thinks family is very important & we should all get along.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 4:38 pm

Similar situation. Except all four grandparents dead. And my sister does not just think she is smarter than me. She :D is :heart: smarter than me. She is a medical doctor. And I have only a BA in Cognitive Science from ucsd. 2.19 (out of 4) gpa. It took six years. I am 34. She is 38. Regardless of the definition and measurements method of intelligence, she is smarter than me.

So what?

Intelligence is not a choice or moral failing

Intelligence is just a job skill

Nothing more, nothing less

Just like someone physically stronger than me

Does not mean they are morally superior to me

:lol:

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 9:30 am

I don't have anything to do with siblings. They're just not relevant.
Like you I am also forced to stay trapped with controlling relatives though. I'm trying to subtly alter this as much as possible, slowly, cumulatively, without causing drama because it's gradual, but by the time I have removed several key areas of dependence, I will be completely independent before they can stop me. Would such an approach work for you? Proverbially chip away at whatever it is that is keeping you trapped and tied to them, until you can take all control for yourself? Once you identify those key areas I believe it to be clearer and easier to get the hooks out of your life.