Good Evening from Somewhere in England.

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

lynysys
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Nov 2017, 8:21 am

Hi Temeraire,

Great to have you on the site. Mid Thirties Aspie from Sunny Norwich, Norfolk.
Not Diagnosed, but as soon as it was suggested, it made too much sense not to be the case.

See you around!

Lynysys

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 8:56 am

Hi Temeraire

looks like you've settled in nicely. That's great :)

Hope you stick around. I enjoy your posts so far.

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2017, 9:48 am

Welcome! I think I know how you feel, I'm 35 and haven't officially been diagnosed, although there was talk of it when I was a child, but I figured it out when doing some research to help my 3 year old son who was diagnosed. So I'm actually scared to get an official diagnosis, as I'm in the process of divorcing his father, and his father is playing dirty and I don't want him to use it to get full custody.

But what helps is viewing it as a great lesson to pave the way for the younger generation who is on the spectrum, in such a way where we couldn't if it was diagnosed and nipped in the bud as much as possible while we were still kids. I'm trying to do that anyway.

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 6:21 pm

lynysys wrote:
Hi Temeraire,

Great to have you on the site. Mid Thirties Aspie from Sunny Norwich, Norfolk.
Not Diagnosed, but as soon as it was suggested, it made too much sense not to be the case.

See you around!

Lynysys

Hi Lynysys,

Nice to meet you, thanks for saying hi.
Glad you know where you are now with it all making sense.

See you around indeed.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 6:24 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
Hi Temeraire

looks like you've settled in nicely. That's great :)

Hope you stick around. I enjoy your posts so far.

Hi Spectrum,

I am glad you have enjoyed my posts so far (there is still time for anything).
I hope I can stick around too. I like it here. I love the diversity.
I have also noticed your post and I enjoy them too, so far.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 6:45 pm

Shakti wrote:
Welcome! I think I know how you feel, I'm 35 and haven't officially been diagnosed, although there was talk of it when I was a child, but I figured it out when doing some research to help my 3 year old son who was diagnosed. So I'm actually scared to get an official diagnosis, as I'm in the process of divorcing his father, and his father is playing dirty and I don't want him to use it to get full custody.

But what helps is viewing it as a great lesson to pave the way for the younger generation who is on the spectrum, in such a way where we couldn't if it was diagnosed and nipped in the bud as much as possible while we were still kids. I'm trying to do that anyway.

Hi Shakti,

Sorry to hear you are going through a nasty divorce. Yes it can get very dirty. Sounds like a wise decision to hold off on getting an official diagnosis.
I am hoping to help in the future by working with people on the spectrum. I feel I need to do more before I am ready. This place helps me to see that there are so many differences within autism and not to take anything for granted. I have read some dodgy material which simply does not fit what I have experienced.
If things get really tough for you at least you have this place to come and get some support. Good for you.

Cratilla
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Nov 2017, 7:44 pm

Hello, also from somewhere in England!

Edit: Oh, I didn't check the date on the first post. A very belated hello, then?

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 8:08 pm

Cratilla wrote:
Hello, also from somewhere in England!

Edit: Oh, I didn't check the date on the first post. A very belated hello, then?

Hello Cratilla,

It is very nice that people are still saying hello - I feel honoured.
I guess it keeps getting bumped.

Cratilla

17 Nov 2017, 8:19 pm

Temeraire wrote:
Hello Cratilla,

3 years from now, will still being said "hello" to :P

And I guess I'm not the only one still awake here in the early hours..

Shakti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2017, 12:52 am

Temeraire wrote:
Hi Shakti,

Sorry to hear you are going through a nasty divorce. Yes it can get very dirty. Sounds like a wise decision to hold off on getting an official diagnosis.
I am hoping to help in the future by working with people on the spectrum. I feel I need to do more before I am ready. This place helps me to see that there are so many differences within autism and not to take anything for granted. I have read some dodgy material which simply does not fit what I have experienced.
If things get really tough for you at least you have this place to come and get some support. Good for you.

I think most of the material comes from the point of view of neurotypical people not being tolerant of people who think differently. Hopefully you, and lots of people, can help by empowering autistic people, and getting people to see it's not a disease or a disorder! :)

New Facebook community to help us mange and thrive on the spectrum, using food as medicine, exercise, herbs, and more. All are welcome, just click here to join: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1117754195026933

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 7:41 am

Cratilla wrote:
Temeraire wrote:
Hello Cratilla,

3 years from now, will still being said "hello" to :P

And I guess I'm not the only one still awake here in the early hours..

Ha yes that would be funny in 3 years.
I do have a late sleep pattern at present.
It is ok on here because everyone wakes up later at night.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 7:48 am

Shakti wrote:
Temeraire wrote:
Hi Shakti,

I think most of the material comes from the point of view of neurotypical people not being tolerant of people who think differently. Hopefully you, and lots of people, can help by empowering autistic people, and getting people to see it's not a disease or a disorder! :)

I passed on Tony Attwood and Luke Jackson to my counselling friend who was interested but I also told her to keep away from a certain book on how to counsel people on the spectrum as it was rubbish. I doubt there is anything worth reading around therapy as it is very diverse and everyone is individual/unique. It would be a difficult book to write, unless it was written by someone like Tony Attwood. Even then there are parts where he could now update his book. I am sure he will be aware of this. He is NT but I do wonder if he is closer to the cut off point than he knows.

Perhaps we can make a thread to help encourage this kind of thinking and progress? Where would it be best placed?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 7:58 am

I believe, at some point, Attwood stated that he, at the very least, has Aspergian traits.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2017, 12:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I believe, at some point, Attwood stated that he, at the very least, has Aspergian traits.

I have read about his son who is now writing a book about being in prison with autism. I would be interested in reading that.
I am careful what I take in from news reports as we all know how these can be sensationalised.