Good Evening from Somewhere in England.

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 5:34 pm

Hello All,

I am quite excited to have finally registered with Wrongplanet after many attempts and rejections. If the recaptcha didn't get me then some other form of virtual security did.

I have read quite a few thread and posts already whilst waiting to get on here - I have a feeling I will be at home here.

I was diagnosed only about a year ago, in my forties, and at a very prominent and crucial time in my life. My reaction was 'you are telling me this NOW!'.

So I am looking forward to learning more about people and what I can do to help others in the future (as well as enjoy the support I will naturally get from being around like-minded people).

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 5:36 pm

Welcome! :D

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 5:49 pm

Thank you - that was rather quick. Bless you.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 10:11 pm

Greetings, another Brit here diagnosed late, settle in, it is a good site

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 4:46 am

Hi.
Did you get your name from the Naomi Novak novels?
I've got the first one here on my shelf waiting to be read.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 5:22 am

Hello and welcome! I was also diagnosed fairly late only three months ago in my 40s here too.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 6:49 am

Thank you guys, it is nice to meet you all.

Mrs Peel, you are in for a real treat with that series of books. Yes my username was inspired by the main character.
I am absolutely saddened to my core that I have read the last book in that series. Even better than the Pern books by Anne McCafferty. I am looking for another series but I doubt I will ever find a dragon series like that again.

It is good to here from others who were diagnosed late. I am still trying to work out if this is a blessing or curse.

Thank you all, again, for taking the time to say hi x

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 8:03 am

Temeraire wrote:
I am still trying to work out if this is a blessing or curse.

A bit of both, I think. Except the gifts are less obvious than the curse and I have to remind myself they're there.
And the whole deal so hard to explain! I'm still trying to pin down exactly what ASD is... and why... and how...?

Ha, yes, I used to read the Pern books, too. The White Dragon was a favourite.
I'm a bit of a fantasy and sci fi addict (if you ever want to have a chat about books)

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 8:42 am

Oh I love fantasy and scifi, Mrs Peel and would most certainly be up for a chat in this area.

Although Game of Thrones was/is good to watch on the TV, the books were difficult for me to get into and not much dragon enough for me. I wish I could be a bit more expansive with my current obsession with dragons and less particular in what I want from a book but I feel I have been spoilt with some the of books I have read and expect the same level of exitement and stimulation.

I also like Robin Hobb and her dragon books - I was able to get into the madship series too as this was related to dragons. Reading about live ships was outside of my usual interest but the perseverance was worth it and paid off.

Do you have any suggestions as to where I might find another good series of dragon books?

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 9:43 am

Welcome, Temeraire. Please never mind being diagnosed late in life, so was I and numerous others in these forums. Simple reason for late diagnosis is that the whole thing was poorly understood some decades back. And there certainly was no Internet to search for information when we were teenagers.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 10:08 am

Actually, Krabo, I do sometimes wonder if being diagnosed later in life helped me to become more independent and tackle life head-on without the worry of being 'different' or having to fit in. I feel as though I have had a good life and it was interesting enough. And thank you for saying Hello too.

My only regret is that I wasn't understood around my school years and so considered a troublemaker instead. I was passionate about science and maths but most of the teachers didn't want me in their class so I bunked off instead.

I could have been a scientist but could not bear to experiment on animals which would have been part of my training so I went for a job as a forklift driver instead.

As I said, I regret nothing but the misunderstanding in my school years which is just sad now and a very long way away.

I have a new exciting life ahead of me, perhaps better than I have experienced so far and I am looking forward to it.

Krabo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 10:25 am

Temeraire wrote:
(...) I could have been a scientist but could not bear to experiment on animals which would have been part of my training so I went for a job as a forklift driver instead. (...)

Comrade-in-arms! Image

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2017, 2:15 pm

Hello Tem,

I was also diagnosed relatively late at 35, only a few months ago. I definitely get that feeling about only just finding out now, but better late than never :)

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 3:10 pm

Hi Lostgirl

Yes it is better than never I guess, but I was only expecting perhaps some mild dyslexia (You were only supposed to blow the doors off!).

I am having some time off work soon and making it a long break so I can have lots of time to myself and replenish my stocks of energy. This will give me plenty of time time to reflect and just chill out.

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2017, 3:54 pm

I am off work too on long term sickness. I feel better than I did even a month ago but I still feel very week mentally. It's almost like my head has gone and I just really can't cope with any kind of stress or pressure anymore. I guess I toughed it out for too long and now it's come back to haunt me. Personally I think I am very burnt out so I am just doing my best to chill and not worry. Easier said than done though! A break sounds like a very good idea

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 4:13 pm

Hello. But windy out there tonight eh?