How should I return my ex-gf's parents' things to them?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 6:27 pm

I broke up with my last gf a year ago almost and as I was doing a lot of cleaning now, I found some of her parents things that I forgot I had, mostly cause I didn't want to go into my ex's things, and was fed up and wanted to not deal with it. But I have some of her parents things and I don't want her parents to think I took them, or never bothered to return them.

However, I feel that if I give them to my ex, it's just going to be trouble. When he broke up, she posted on facebook about how I hit when I broke up with her to everyone, which didn't happen. She also emailed me and accused me of raping her in the relationship, and made me feel terrible and I don't know if she would have told her parents that or not. I am guessing her parents very well could have seen that she posted that I hit her on the break up.

I wrote about our relationship problems before in this past thread, as well as other past threads:

http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=334846

I thought it might be best to return her parents belongings indirectly. My ex has a friend that still talks to me on social media sometimes, and she said she feels she is friends with both of us. She doesn't want to choose a side, and I don't want her to, at all.

I just felt that if I explained that I want to give my exs' parents' things back them, and thought she could do it, since m ex will not talk to me about it, maybe she could give them back for me, or something.

But what do you think, or how should I go about it?

garysoneji
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Oct 2017, 6:35 pm

The mutual friend is probably a better idea if they're okay with it, but I'd just drop them off on their porch and leave a polite note in their mailbox. Depending on what you have, mailing the stuff could also be a better option.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 6:35 pm

Send them back in the mail or UPS with a simple note saying you found them and are returning them and sign your name. Keep it simple.

Keep away from the ex.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 6:46 pm

Well... some of this stuff is rather large, which makes for more costly shipping, and maybe I am sounding cheap by saying, this but my ex already took a good amount of my money, I feel, and I don't want to spend any more on her... if that is not too cheap of me to say.

garysoneji

15 Oct 2017, 6:51 pm

Is it too large for you to haul on your own? Do you need them to be involved? I bend over backwards to not deal with people, but it may be best if you just inform them via Facebook message that you'd like to give it back to them and see how they respond.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 7:18 pm

If I tell the parents that, I feel they will most likely tell my ex, which would cause my ex to call me up and somehow try to intervene, or use this to her advantage to see me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 8:17 pm

If you do return her parents things I would not do it through her, sounds like that would just cause trouble. If you can find a way to return the things without contacting her that would probably be best. But IDK honestly if I were you I'd just donate the stuff to a thrift store or something if you don't want it...if it was a year ago I am sure they have replaced the items if they were anything important. Also your ex should have taken her crap when she moved out, so really it was her responsibility to get her and her parents stuff.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 8:19 pm

ironpony wrote:
If I tell the parents that, I feel they will most likely tell my ex, which would cause my ex to call me up and somehow try to intervene, or use this to her advantage to see me.

In that case for sure just get rid of it or keep it, I get the impression her parents are just as unreasonable/retaliatory as your ex was? So yeah probably best not to contact any of those people again.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 12:20 am

Well I haven't spoken to her parents after the break up at all. During the relationship, they were very nice to me and we all did things together all the time. So I feel I am them their stuff back at least, for all the nice things they did for me.

How they would feel about me now, I don't know, since I haven't talked to them since. As for her taking her stuff when she moved out, I can see that point of view, but this is there stuff, not hers, so the principle is different.

But I feel I owe them their stuff back after all the good things they did for me before. And it's not about the parents being okay cause they replaced the items. It's a matter of principle for me, and I don't think they should think of me as the guy who took off with their things.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 3:39 am

Sounds like a nutcase, I would post it to them or leave it at their door with a polite note, when you know they won't be home. If it was me I'd probably post it.