SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 10:06 pm

eric76 wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Here's the layout for Cisco's connected workplace:

This looks incredibly similar to the office where I work.

When I started, I had a private cubicle with high walls. Then we moved to shared cubicles with low walls. Around May of this year, we moved to completely open office. It feels too crowded when everyone's there.

I could work from home a good portion of the time if I wanted to, but I find it hard to be in a working frame of mind when I'm at home.

One big difference with this -- they aren't cubicles. There is no place in there that is "your cubicle", "your office", or whatever -- you are free to go sit (or stand) and work pretty much wherever you wish in the work area.

Think of it more like working in a large library.

That's exactly what I have now. Cubicles completely are a thing of the past in my office, there are no assigned desks, and only very, very senior managers get offices.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 2:01 am

I think the science is pretty conclusive on this topic - that it leads to an all over drop in productivity, and that almost everybody hates it.

It really is just about saving money spent on space.

Open plan offices have really sabotaged my work life. It's actually not so much the sound, as I tend to be more able to block out noise than most people. What destroys me is having to have my social skills on 'standby' all the time. And yeah, I hate people walking behind me too.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 1:05 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
eric76 wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:
eric76 wrote:

When I started, I had a private cubicle with high walls. Then we moved to shared cubicles with low walls. Around May of this year, we moved to completely open office. It feels too crowded when everyone's there.

I could work from home a good portion of the time if I wanted to, but I find it hard to be in a working frame of mind when I'm at home.

One big difference with this -- they aren't cubicles. There is no place in there that is "your cubicle", "your office", or whatever -- you are free to go sit (or stand) and work pretty much wherever you wish in the work area.

That's exactly what I have now. Cubicles completely are a thing of the past in my office, there are no assigned desks, and only very, very senior managers get offices.

That sounds great to me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 1:18 pm

Trueno wrote:
I always sat in a corner. I hated sensing that anyone is behind me... still do. And I like to see whoever is coming into a room.

I also have this problem...its so freaking irritating, and impossible to turn off. I certainly don't like if I go out to eat and get assigned a table right smack dab in the middle of the restaurant, though typically me and my boyfriend don't go to places that assign you a table. Or having someone sit behind me in the movie theater...i usually just sit in the back to avoid that.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 1:19 pm

eric76 wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:
eric76 wrote:

I like that a lot, I mean I don't have an office type job...but if I did I think that would be a cool set up.

Insania2016
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Oct 2017, 5:52 pm

I agree. Horrible idea perpetuated by those silly extroverts in HR.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 6:01 pm

eric76 wrote:
There is no place in there that is "your cubicle", "your office", or whatever -- you are free to go sit (or stand) and work pretty much wherever you wish in the work area.

I'd have hated that when I was working. A piece of territory that was nominally mine was pretty much essential to me and the way I worked. Where would I have left my papers, laptop, teacup, tea bags, headphones, pens, stapler, etc. when I went into the lab to tend to an experiment? My efficiency would have sunk. I'd have come back to the space I'd been using to find my stuff had been strewn around and the stapler would be empty or jammed. Luckily it was recognised that we each should have a personal desk, lockable cupboard, and lab bench space.