How to achieve more social interaction on this site

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

gabemai314
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Location: Loveland, Colorado, USA, Earth, Solar System, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea Supercluster, Universe

15 Oct 2017, 11:11 pm

Hello there. I have just been pondering over potential reasons why I have not been as successful socializing on these forums as I would like to be. I usually post in Computers, Math, Science, and Technology. I feel as if I have been unintentionally ignored. Since I have Aspergers and therefore am socially impaired I feel incredibly inane asking this, but are there any unconscious sub-cultural rules of this forum that I may have broken? What can I do to fit in better at WrongPlanet?

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 11:44 pm

I am probably the worst possible person to answer you because I am so new here, but I looked at your profile and it looks like you've been a member for 8 months... I have maybe been here eight days, so I really have no business talking. BUT, that's never stopped me. (edit in, so fifteen days. But actually on here maybe eight of those.)

Try the game threads and the random threads? I just discovered them and I'm enjoying them very much, they're mostly light and social and it feels nice and warm there. Maybe people you interact with on the game threads will respond to you on the more serious ones, once they feel like they "know" you. That's if you've been posting mostly to serious discussions, which it sounds like you have been.

But again, I'm so new here I should probably just hush; I don't mean to be presumptuous :oops: More seasoned people will probably have more useful input.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

B19
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 12:48 am

Try posting in the general forum.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 2:29 am

I only reply to people when I have something to say and I wouldn't be surprised if others here were the same way... in other words the reason people don't answer your posts might be that they have nothing to add to what you say, don't disagree with your opinions (or if they do they don't know how to express it and stay quiet), they read posts that came after the one you made and forget what they were planning on telling you (happens to me all the time) etc. If there are some unwritten rules on how to communicate here then I've certainly missed them as well.

I'm sure people will reply to you when they have something to say or if you take direct contact first. :)

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 9:03 am

When I first signed up I had someone reach out to me but then I kinda ruined that with my paranoia of the fact that they just hit me up out of the blue and didn't know me.

HughDYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2017, 9:06 am

Eaasy peasy . You can write me :D

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 9:18 am

I'm from Colorado as well, western slope though not front range, so welcome from another Coloradan.

As for getting responses, sometimes a post is interesting/pertinent and requires a response, others people merely read and move on. You'll get used to it. Also, you've only made a few posts here, when you start hitting the triple digits in post count you'll start getting more replies: the longer you're here, and the more posts you make, the better people will understand who you are and this allows them to venture out of their comfort zone to interact with you.

HughDYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2017, 9:30 am

Aristophanes wrote:
I'm from Colorado as well, western slope though not front range, so welcome from another Coloradan.

As for getting responses, sometimes a post is interesting/pertinent and requires a response, others people merely read and move on. You'll get used to it. Also, you've only made a few posts here, when you start hitting the triple digits in post count you'll start getting more replies: the longer you're here, and the more posts you make, the better people will understand who you are and this allows them to venture out of their comfort zone to interact with you.

it is boleshit. dont listen to him.just do something psychopatic that is all :D

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 4:38 pm

Depends on what you mean by "socializing." If you want more responses to your posts, you have to type them clearly, organize them in paragraphs and sentences with proper punctuation, and don't make them very long. Asking a clear question also helps.

If you want to have private conversations with people, PM them or post in your signature or some of your posts that you are open to private messages.