Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 11:49 pm

I posted this over in "Health, Fitness, and Sports," but I didn't get any replies, so I figured I'd try here.

I've noticed that my blood seems to clot significantly faster than most people's, and I was wondering if that might mean I'd be more prone to blood clots where they shouldn't be. Should I wait and mention it the next time I'm at the doctor's for a checkup, or should I make an appointment sooner to have it checked out?

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 11:52 pm

^ Are you drinking enough water?
Dehydration can make blood thicker.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2017, 11:57 pm

If you're worried, I would make an appointment sooner rather than later.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 12:01 am

I don't really pay attention to how much water I drink - I just drink when I'm thirsty. I suppose I can try increasing my fluid intake and see if that helps. We don't have copay for doctor's visits on our insurance anymore, so my parents would rather not make an appointment if it isn't truly necessary.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 12:15 am

I know I always have a lot of trouble with having blood drawn because my blood is sluggish due to low blood pressure.
They told me to drink a litre of water before I went and it seems to help.
But I'm sure there could be many reasons for blood clotting so it's probably best to have it checked out.
If you go sooner or wait depends on how long until your next check-up.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 12:23 am

I'm not sure exactly when my last checkup was, but it wasn't that recently - I think I'm probably due for one sometime in the next 3-4 months or so. I guess it's probably not that urgent of an issue, I'm just perseverating on it a bit.