Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 1:27 am

Comedy gone too far Has comedy gone to far with Stand up Comedian mocking his Autistic Child’s Behavior

The video of the performence in question is toward the bottom of the article.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 6:56 am

I feel that the jokes about his son are in very bad taste. His son didn't choose to be autistic. The type of attitude that father has towards his son is a throwback to the Rainman days. It's really quite disgusting and it only gives Autism Speaks fuel for their pathetic fire.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 7:40 am

I suppose it's a matter of opinion (and, ultimately, it will be between Mr. Funnypants and his kid).

Frankly, I'll admit before God and everybody that I'm laughing. Based on my experience of myself, his observations are somewhat accurate, at least from the outside looking in.

But, then again, laughing at myself (even somewhat unkindly) is the best medicine I have found for deflecting the contempt of others and keeping my own self-hate at bay. If they're laughing, whether with me or at me (and the distinction seems to be largely a matter of whether or not I am laughing too), then they're not sneering or judging or assuming I'm either a gold-digger or Adam Lanza. If they're laughing, then they are somewhat at ease. If they are somewhat at ease, I have a better chance of being accepted (or at least tolerated).

I have no expectations of being treated with the kind of respect that would be due to someone who does all the things I do with a lovely frosting of social graces; laughing at myself and the whole situation, even derisively, keeps me from going mad. That's me. Think I picked up the coping mechanism from ten years of unremitting school bullying and old episodes of M*A*S*H. It might not work that way for someone else.

I notice nobody complains about Kathy Hoopman comparing autistic children to cats (All Cats Have Asperger's) or ADHD children to dogs (All Dogs Have ADHD). Her observations are, frankly, quite accurate as well. I guess the warm fuzzy packaging makes a difference.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 12:02 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
I
I notice nobody complains about Kathy Hoopman comparing autistic children to cats (All Cats Have Asperger's) or ADHD children to dogs (All Dogs Have ADHD). Her observations are, frankly, quite accurate as well. I guess the warm fuzzy packaging makes a difference.

Now that I know about it I am going to complain. The idea that we are not fully human is toxic on many levels, the good packaging and possible good intent just masks the offense. Similar in a way to the "good" rewards based ABA.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 12:41 am

comedian Ron Funches bases a lot of his humor on his autistic son
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh9LH2HFjKQ
I personally found it humorous (largely because I could relate as a father) but now that I look back I could see how it could be offensive. Would be interested to hear other views on this?

I found it amusing (his line) that looking after an autistic kid is like looking after an eccentric billionaire!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 11:06 am

cyberdad wrote:
I personally found it humorous (largely because I could relate as a father) but now that I look back I could see how it could be offensive. Would be interested to hear other views on this?

I found it amusing (his line) that looking after an autistic kid is like looking after an eccentric billionaire!

I do not think it is offensive as much as it is the wrong thing to do. This will be on the internet forever and be used to bully him.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 11:10 am

...I haven"t looked at the video yet.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

beady
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 11:31 am

There are boundary lines in acceptable free speech that are constantly changing. Yes you can say whatever you please but if I stand up and walk out of that club because I'm offended and others believe as I do and they walk out also, then our message reaches the bottom line and the club owner doesn't invite the offender back. No one knows if no one speaks up.
His dialogue made me sad.
Would people have laughed if he mocked his child with down syndrome because that child could not grasp the concept of toilet use?
Many years ago yes but not anymore.
It's a long slow process to teach those who are willing and able to listen.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 2:43 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I do not think it is offensive as much as it is the wrong thing to do. This will be on the internet forever and be used to bully him.

I have to disagree, comedians often use their children/wives or parents in their sketches so I don't know if it's the "wrong" thing to do?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 8:06 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I have to disagree, comedians often use their children/wives or parents in their sketches so I don't know if it's the "wrong" thing to do?

People, especially in this social media era, often use their kids as public comedic fodder. That does not make it right. I do not care if I am the only one left on the planet that feels this way which is probably close to the truth at this point. I will always believe doing this is very very wrong. I believe the same about using their kids to score political points.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 3:48 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
People, especially in this social media era, often use their kids as public comedic fodder. That does not make it right. I do not care if I am the only one left on the planet that feels this way which is probably close to the truth at this point. I will always believe doing this is very very wrong. I believe the same about using their kids to score political points.

Comedy is about cutting through the BS in a "safe space" where political correctness can (temporarily) be thrown out the window. This is indeed the origin of theater/comedy where pantomimes would ridicule even kings without fear of retribution

Its basically an outlet for the NT masses. Getting back to parents of autistic kids I think there are always boundaries in terms of good taste and when the child is being exploited. As far as the child being bullied over their parent's comedy that is something that certainly should be considered and taken into account. That's why I was interested to hear other points of view on this.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 7:54 am

Comedians used to make jokes based on race and rape,, some still do, there is no place where this should be ok. It's all about acceptance. Your family can certainly make you laugh when they do silly or quirky things. That is not their life struggle. The issues unique to an autistic child are not acceptable fodder.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 8:49 am

well, that's easy to see where the child got it from
:roll: