Annoying things people at stores do...

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 12:42 pm

I'll go first...When people make a point to stop right in the entry way of the store on their way out, to talk or check their phone/purse or who knows what so then you have to wait for them to move along before you can get through the door or you can try and maneuver around them.

The exit is not a place to hang out, I don't understand why people do that. at least wait till you're out of the door and move off to the side if you need to do something before leaving the store grounds.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 12:53 pm

Put their items on the checkout conveyor belt (in front of you) then go waaaaaaaandering off foreverrrrrr, seemingly, in search of the two or three or ten or twelve items they just suddenly remembered that they forgot.

Double points if they actually do this after the cashier has begun to ring them up, so that there's no way to let other folks go ahead and the line grows and grows...

Triple points if the store opens another register after n=10 or so, but you end up stuck because you're trapped at the front, with n=9 or so behind you, so you get to choose between waiting behind one wandering soul or 9 unknowns who changed queues ahead of you and could be contemplating who knows what deviltry when it's their turn at the cashier! :P

Quadruple points if the original offender comes back with one or two things and then goes waaaaaaandering off agaaaaaaaain.

Quintuple points if you have one item and are paying cash. :roll:

Yes, I've experienced all of the above. More often than I care to think about. Doesn't matter if I change stores, it's endemic.

This affects all ages. I try to excuse most of it on the basis of exhaustion and general frazzlement, but gah.

(edit in: permission to laugh is granted. Rereading this, I just did. It's still true, though.)

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 4:52 pm

Chatty people who strike up an entire conversation with the cashier, which then continues even after the transaction!!

And the cashier, instead of politely wrapping it up so that they can start checking my items through now, just sits there nodding and smiling and continuing the chat as if the rest of us are not even standing there in line, waiting, with our cold goods defrosting up on the conveyor belt while these two casually explore their social interaction.

I think it's all very nice for cashiers to be friendly, but they ought to be instructed in ways to get moving onto the next customer's items instead of just stopping everything dead to keep talking to that other customer. And other customers need to learn some consideration -- I can't believe how they don't even realize they're holding up everyone else's day!

And yes, I can't stand people who stop dead right in the doorway.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 7:24 pm

Put their shopping on the till WHILE I'M STILL BEING SERVED! Just because I struggle with handling money doesn't mean you can cut in front of me.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 5:10 am

People who want their receipt sent to them by email, and stand there for ages giving their email address and answering questions. Just get a receipt on paper you div, you're holding up the flippin' line!!

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2017, 7:16 am

I always put my items on a row, with the barcode facing towards me, because it makes it a lot easier for the cashier, which makes the whole process a lot faster.
And it annoys me so much that everyone else just puts all their things in a big pile on the band. Or even worse, pushes my things forward to make room for their own, because they think the right way to do it is the pile!! I've had lightbulbs and icecreams crushed because someone couldn't wait to get their stuff on the band. As if it would get them out of there faster -.-

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2017, 7:27 am

Oh! And the freakin' people in line who feels the need to stand as close to the person in front of them as possible (that person in front is me).
Why???? Do they enjoy rubbing their bellies on strangers?? Do they think that it's unclear that they're standing in the line, and so they have to make sure there are no gaps in it? Are they just terrified that someone might cut in front of them?

I have seriously encountered people that seemed to be moving even closer, to purposely mess with me when I've gotten noticeably uncomfortable.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 7:50 am

Yes, the "close standers"! !

I hate this with a passion! Nobody seems to give anyone or themselves "personal space" anymore. A great very many number of years ago, people did actually used to stand further apart from each other in a line /queue or even in a crowd, depending on how crowded. People used to at least attempt to leave a token space.

Nowadays, nobody leaves any space. People stand right behind me and when I shift forward to distance myself, they move right up to me again. I have actually turned around and given them a look, or sometimes even spoken about how close they're standing, and I've received a hostile and puzzled "WHAT??" from them. They don't even get it.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 8:18 am

Last week, I was (once again) the subject of some commentary between a grocery cashier and a customer in a different check-out lane. "He sure got a LOT of food stuffed into that [smaller, upright] cart!" "It is like Tetris with the items being stacked perfectly!" They seemed to be flattering me, but I also wondered if they were trying to suggest that I am a hoarder (the grocery is near my home, but closer to an elite neighborhood where customers visit the grocery every day apparently for social reasons).

"No," I thought, "I am simply trying to be as efficient as I can be by shopping just once a month for my own groceries (same items every month) because I am the primary caregiver for my post-strokes 86-year-old mother, and I don't have time to fritter away my daily chores by talking about others."

Thankfully, I spent my conversational time chatting with the bag boy who apparently has ID (the grocery employs some workers with disabilities).

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 11:01 pm

They exist. :evil:

Okay, that's too obvious. I've had the problem of cashiers having long intricate conversations with the customer in front of them, people being nosy and asking dumb questions or even making rude comments about what I'm buying, people in the 10 items or less lane having at least 20 items when I only have 1 or 2, cashiers moving at the pace of a snail, probably because all they can think about is how much longer until their smoke break. And for some reason when it finally gets to be my turn there's some kind of problem with the cash register or the price of the item won't show on the scanner and they to leave and find out what it is. Or when I've been stuck in a line up for an excruciating ten minutes and then they suddenly open lanes and the people who have spent a lot less time waiting rush over to them. Or I tell them I'm paying with cash, not credit or debit, and they act almost as if I was going to pay them in bottle caps. And not the valuable, collectable kind.

One time, however, an older lady asked me to watch over her cart because she had to go outside for some reason, so I did. She was gone for a while but I watched over it until she got back, and she thanked me. It actually felt good to do something nice for someone I didn't even know. :)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 8:28 am

People that sneak more items into the ten only express lane.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 6:50 am

When people let their kids run around.
When people let their kids push the shopping trolley, ramming it into everyone.
When people step back right on your toe, like they think they're the only ones in the whole supermarket.
When people don't give way or look where they're going.
When there's like 15 tills and only like 5 are open, on busy days.
When people are exiting the supermarket really slowly, while I'm trying to get out as quick as I can.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 8:27 am

Embla wrote:
Why???? Do they enjoy rubbing their bellies on strangers??

Heh, it's as good an explanation as any for an inexplicable behaviour.
- People who let children scream, have tantrums, run, knock things off shelves, push trolleys, crash into and annoy other people.
- People who move i n c r e d i b l y s l o w l y whilst doing their level best to be as in the way as possible. I walk fast. Get the hell out of the way. I swear it's like driving 10 miles below the speed limit in the fast lane. I have no problem with people who want to go slow. Just don't do it in everyone else's way.
- People who park trolleys horizontally across the aisle, hold onto the handle, and start looking at things on the opposite shelf, thereby blocking the entire aisle and forcing others oncoming to tell them to move.
- People who stop directly opposite an obvious obstruction in an aisle (replenishment trolley, boxes, shelf-stackers) and thus block it completely, when stopping a few steps forwards or backwards wouldn't cause a problem at all, forcing others to tell them to move
- People standing too close, and only moving closer again when you move away
- People who push in front of you to grab at things on shelves if you're standing looking at an item, instead of having a shred of manners and moving away and continuing their shop until you've finished in that area and moved on
- People who stand in front of the only item you want in an otherwise empty aisle, doing something pointless like reading a magazine or fiddling with their phones for AGES, thereby forcing you to tell them to move
- People who stop in, obstruct, or loiter around exits/doors
- Adults who go shopping in pyjamas, slippers, gowns, boxer shorts or swimmers
- people who want to socialize with me randomly and hold me up, telling me all sorts of sh!t I don't care about when I am a complete stranger
- Store greeters. I know it's a horrible job they shouldn't ask people to do, but just leave me alone. I don't need to be harassed and forced to interact socially before I've even got in the door.
- Sales people who jump on you and quiz you on what you're doing in there, what you want, what you're looking for, who it's for, how you are and how your day's been the minute you set foot in a shop. Go away.
Yeah ... so I'm a bad-tempered prick and I hate shopping.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 5:09 pm

CV2, you have just reminded me why I shouldn't go shopping tomorrow and that I would be better off doing it online instead with a nice cup of tea.
Thank you to you and everyone else for saving me the stress.

(the lighting in stores make me unwell too - "stay away from the light")

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 4:24 pm

I really hate when people shove an arm right past your face to grab something off the shelf in front of you, without even speaking or saying so much as a quick "Excuse me, just getting this. . ." They could say something just to announce they're doing it, or to ask you to move, or they could wait the few seconds before I am moving away anyway having picked out my item, but nooooo, they just shove their hand right past my face or body as if I'm empty space.

I just want to be treated like I do exist, and if you need to get something please just say so instead of treating me like it doesn't matter or I'm not even there.