Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

whitterbug
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Oct 2017, 2:03 pm

I have developed some anxiety over seeking diagnosis after reading how costly it can be. I have jumped from professional to professional seeking what's truly different about me. I know very well how much money my mom has spent trying to figure out this puzzle. I was suspected of ADHD in the 2nd grade after my teacher suggested to my mother that I take a test for it. I was then diagnosed with depression within a year, but my diagnosis switched between depression and ADHD depending on who I was seeing. Then I became an experiment of sorts, trying out medication after medication for one or the other, sometimes both ADHD and depression. I also recall taking antipsychotics, and that was never fun. This seemed to make my life hell and robbed me of my childhood from age 8 to my teen years. In my teen years, I was diagnosed with social anxiety, but sworn off all medications because I would rather feel anxious than numb. I have never considered autism until now, after doing extensive research. I have a step sister who was diagnosed with Aspergers in her early childhood, and she reminds me so much of myself. This is what provoked my research. Plus, I am currently pregnant, so I have noticed my sensory issues are more pronounced and I want to get to the bottom of this before my child is born. I am lucky enough to have a few home videos of past holidays and birthdays from the ages 2-7. I am wondering if it would be worth it to bring these with me to show a professional, so they can have an idea of my childhood behavior and patterns. I have already been analyzing them and I'm noticing things I have never noticed before. Before we just thought I was odd. :lol: My husband watched them with me and agrees there is something that therapists must have missed. My mother didn't actually seek psychiatric help for me until I was at least 12, as I received my early diagnosis from our family doctor, who quite frankly, had no business diagnosing a child! My mom didn't know any better. She didn't have any support back then. I am also thinking I should have her come with me for my assessment, so she can explain some behaviors I may have forgotten. Does anyone else have any tips? I can't financially afford to have more than one assessment, so I found what seems to be the best place close to me and I'm going to try it and accept whatever they tell me. I'm not sure if I could afford a second opinion. Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 10:13 pm

I'm not sure there is any advice to give.

If you've found a psychologist who can give an ASD diagnosis, go and see him or her and talk about what's involved. I don't think you need to bring her with you the first time you see the psychologist, although it's very likely he or she will want to talk to her at some point during the diagnostic process.