Is it weird that I kind of miss Bob and his pies?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 5:08 pm

It's a shame really, I had all these ideas planned in my head about the wacky pie-filled adventures of Bob and his roommate Alex. But alas, the original thread seems to have died. I should probably move on...but something in my mind keeps thinking about that thread (and also the follow on thread) since when I get stuck on a concept and/or story idea I just want to explore and flesh it out for awhile.

So...to summon back the 99 or so pies, I think I'll call upon Bugsy Malone...

:D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 5:23 pm

Don't miss 'em. Because I never heard of them before.

But now that Ive seen that clip, and want more of 'em. :D

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 5:56 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
It's a shame really, I had all these ideas planned in my head about the wacky pie-filled adventures of Bob and his roommate Alex. But alas, the original thread seems to have died. I should probably move on...but something in my mind keeps thinking about that thread (and also the follow on thread) since when I get stuck on a concept and/or story idea I just want to explore and flesh it out for awhile.

Are you are talking about the thread about the maths quiz involving 99? pies ( started by the user with a wolf avatar , I can't remember their name , something like Solaha? or something like that.). I don't remember any follow on thread though.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 6:06 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:

Are you are talking about the thread about the maths quiz involving 99? pies ( started by the user with a wolf avatar , I can't remember their name , something like Solaha? or something like that.). I don't remember any follow on thread though.

The first thread (created by Soloha, so you weren't far off) was this: viewtopic.php?t=352304

Then, Naturalplastic created this thread which was a follow on: viewtopic.php?t=352521

:)

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 6:20 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:

The first thread (created by Soloha, so you weren't far off) was this: viewtopic.php?t=352304

Then, Naturalplastic created this thread which was a follow on: viewtopic.php?t=352521

I'm trying to forget those threads :lol: it just highlights my deficiency in maths problems

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 7:05 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:

I'm trying to forget those threads :lol: it just highlights my deficiency in maths problems

Well, you're probably not as bad as me. That's not saying much though. :D

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 7:20 pm

I had a different picture in mind...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 8:47 pm

Go for it.

Embrace your inner math geek, and forge ahead with the further adventures of Bob, and his roommate, and their pies, and whatever else!

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 2:32 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Go for it.

Embrace your inner math geek, and forge ahead with the further adventures of Bob, and his roommate, and their pies, and whatever else!

Loading inner math geek..../ERROR 404/... whilst loading file "inner math geek".exe was not found on server, attempting to back up files....please be patient...

Previously, on the wacky pie-filled adventures of Bob and his roommate Alex:

Alex: So, how many pies do you have?

Bob: The square root to the number you have.

Alex: Did you order it that way?

Bob: Yes, the guy on the till sure seemed confused.

Alex: Why do you overcomplicate everything?

Bob: Well, why do you question everything I do?

Alex: That's it, I'm kicking you out. You can find a new roommate, and I'm using your old room to store my 99 pies.

Present day:

Alex: (Looking into Bob's old room, he sighs) I thought that I'd be happy to see the back of him, but whenever I look into this room I am reminded of all the good times we had together. I should really clean in here more often. (He grimaces at the rotting pies, and at several flies that are wandering about the room).

*Pie falls to the floor*.

Alex: Instead, kicking him out seems to have driven me to insanity... I doubt many people talk to their pies as much as I do.

(Meanwhile, somewhere in a crowded city)

Bob: (after telling the story of how he got thrown out of Alex's apartment)...and I've lived in the city ever since.

Therapist: How long has this hoarding behaviour been going on for, exactly?

Bob: Well, I don't like where this is going.

Therapist: So, awhile then?

Bob: How do you feel about croissants? Yeah, let's talk about croissants.

Therapist: Perhaps you should just stay away from baked goods for awhile.

:lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 7:11 pm

The two room mates run into each other on campus, and make up.
Both agree to leave the topic of baked goods behind them.

But no sooner than they agree to that they get into another dispute.

The dispute over "how long would it take a school kid to sing "A Billion Bottles of Beer On the Wall'?"

Bob insisted that a human could sing "A Billion Bottles of Beer On the Wall" within a human lifetime. His roommate screamed that he was "full of it!", and that that would be an impossible task to complete in even a 100 years.

So which one of them was right?

How long does it take to sing even "A Hundred Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

And how long would it take to expand that to a million, or a billion bottles?

Could a billion be sung in less than a 100 years?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 7:46 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The two room mates run into each other on campus, and make up.
Both agree to leave the topic of baked goods behind them.

But no sooner than they agree to that they get into another dispute.

The dispute over "how long would it take a school kid to sing "A Billion Bottles of Beer On the Wall'?"

Bob insisted that a human could sing "A Billion Bottles of Beer On the Wall" within a human lifetime. His roommate screamed that he was "full of it!", and that that would be an impossible task to complete in even a 100 years.

So which one of them was right?

How long does it take to sing even "A Hundred Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

And how long would it take to expand that to a million, or a billion bottles?

Could a billion be sung in less than a 100 years?

"A Hundred Bottles of Beer on the Wall" can be sung in approx 13.2 minutes ( average of 8 seconds a line )

"A Million Bottles of Beer on the Wall" can be sung in approx 13 weeks ( no sleep )

"A Billion Bottles of Beer on the Wall" can be sung in approx 250 years ( no sleep and a map to the fountain of youth )

So my answer is Alex was right

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 8:52 pm

Very good start.

However I suspect that you haven't gone all of the way yet, because I suspect that you just took the amount of time it takes to sing "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall", and just multiplied for the larger numbers.

However, don't know, but I suspect that you may have failed to take into account the extra time it takes to sing each line with the larger than 100 number songs.

The line for the quantity 99 is one of the longest lines in the song "100 bottles of beer on the wall", but it would be one of the shortest to sing in a million, or a billion. The second verse of the Billion would be "nine hundred, and ninety nine million, nine hundred and ninety nine thousand, and nine hundred, and ninety nine... [pause for abreath]...bottles of beer on the wall. Nine hundred, and ...."

Not only are the numbers bigger, but also in proportion to those bigger numbers, it would take longer to sing.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 6:08 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Very good start.

However I suspect that you haven't gone all of the way yet, because I suspect that you just took the amount of time it takes to sing "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall", and just multiplied for the larger numbers.

However, don't know, but I suspect that you may have failed to take into account the extra time it takes to sing each line with the larger than 100 number songs.

The line for the quantity 99 is one of the longest lines in the song "100 bottles of beer on the wall", but it would be one of the shortest to sing in a million, or a billion. The second verse of the Billion would be "nine hundred, and ninety nine million, nine hundred and ninety nine thousand, and nine hundred, and ninety nine... [pause for abreath]...bottles of beer on the wall. Nine hundred, and ...."

Not only are the numbers bigger, but also in proportion to those bigger numbers, it would take longer to sing.

Originally I didn't take the extra time taken to sing the larger numbers into account , I asked my GF to check my calculations before posting and she pointed this out , I thought "approx " would cover it lol

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 6:28 am

Alex: Well, I guess I better throw out all these rotting pies then.

Bob:Perhaps we should save up to buy a brewery.

Damn, these two sure do get in a lot of arguments.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 6:56 am

Lost_dragon wrote:

Damn, these two sure do get in a lot of arguments.

Must be true love

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 6:57 am

Pie riddles are a piece of cake.