Is There Anyone Here Not Bullied In School ?

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 4:17 pm

I was never bullied in school.

blast335
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Oct 2017, 4:29 pm

The fact that I went to a small school (graduating class of 70 people) and my intelligence together actually made highschool a very pleasant experience.

I never really got bullied, because news spread quickly at my school, and anyone who would've bullied me didn't because they didn't want the student council (who were smart, popular, related to teachers, as well as friends with me) to find out about it.

Everyone knew that all the teachers, especially the ones who wouldn't hesitate to bomb someone's grade, liked me. (One of them literally would address me as "the king") Besides that, most of the people knew that I knew how to pick locks.

But honestly, I was well liked in school. My intelligence let me pull off some impressive pranks and everyone knew I wouldn't hesitate to help someone understand something in their homework.

I was quite blessed, in fact, I actually miss highschool.

I speak on behalf of no-one but myself. For how can I represent anyone else? If someone shares my opinion on a topic, are we now the same person? With the same opinions on all topics? No, of course not.
-Blast335 (me)

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 5:53 pm

Pieplup wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
It seems like the majority of people on the spectrum got bullied in school and school life was a lonely time.

Is there anyone here who was not a constant target for bullies ( I'm sure everyone has been bullied a few times ) and felt school wasn't that bad an experience.
Define bullying.

That's a difficult question to answer as it's very subjective to the person being bullied. I think the definition I was going for is the type that makes school a nightmare, so I was going for being constantly the butt of jokes , intimidated , teased and picked on.
The only reason I asked is it seems to be a common thing for someone on the spectrum to experience. I've encountered a few bullies in my life but not to the extent as the majority of people here. It's just another one of the typical questions that someone without a Dx asks to try and see parallels , I know everyone's different and it's not very scientific but it's all I have until my assessment.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 6:01 pm

I once ignored someone who tried to bully me who was actually a lot bigger than me. He moved on to a target he could read.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 7:35 pm

Bullying wasn't as bad at my actual school as it was online. At school wasn't a really major problem. I did get into online communities that would have members who were bullies, and I used to get extremely mad. But in retrospect, I don't think the online virtual bullying was as severe as I thought it was then.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 9:36 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would bet that virtually all kids were bullied in some way in the course of their school careers.

Yes, especially now that everyone has a video camera and instant access to sharing video with millions of people. Old school bullies had to at least be horrible enough to say whatever to the person, now they just shoot from across the room and post.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 9:44 pm

I was never bullied. Is it easier for girls to blend in?

What I see as a teacher is that people who have severe and obvious challenges are not really bullied because the other kids get it. It's the people who are just a little off that get targeted. Like the NT kids can sense the other kid doesn't understand that they're being mean so they dig in and push the limits.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2017, 11:44 pm

I went to a small private catholic school k-8. There was no opportunity for it. The classrooms were all in the same short hallway. We went from class to class. There were no free periods. I always stayed inside during recess reading. I didn't really interact with the other kids. I was just a quiet kid that mostly no-one noticed. The nuns were very very scary. Even on the buses, if kids started stuff the driver pulled over and got up. It was all very strict. I guess I got teased for things. I had the nickname "tedious" for an entire year for using the word in a pedantic reply to a teachers question.

In high school, not being diagnosed at the time, I had a lot of problems at home, and I got really into drugs. I had a "pack". They weren't really friends. I used to punch people for touching me. I punched a kid in the head once over some minor incident so there was also the whole "he's crazy" deterrent. It took me six years to graduate.

College ... well, it was so big I just kind of flew under the radar. Every class was a different group of people and classes changed very few months so no-one knew me. I expect everyone was too absorbed in academics and no-one had time for that kind of childishness. Those were my best school years.

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Oct 2017, 8:47 am

I wasn't really bullied at all. There were a few small incidences, though nothing serious.
I probably made it through due to being so quiet I had multiple people ask if I ever spoke. I was almost always reading, either that or with my friend. I was mostly known as either "friend's name"'s friend or "boyfriend's name"'s girlfriend. My friend probably also helped deter unwanted attention as she was (still is :P) bubbly, crazy, loud, and was friends with people who could and would beat you up if you messed with them or their friends. Also, in general we were part of the misfits group, which was made up of subgroups that overlapped with certain people, that consisted of goths, metalheads, artists, punks, druggies, furries, geeks, nerds, gamers, etc.

So, rambling made short, I really think being nearly invisible and being a part of a rather large group of misfits (albeit a very quiet part) was the main reason I was left alone.

Edit: I have to add that taking advanced classes could also have helped as most of the people in those classes were there to learn, not cause trouble.

"I do not wish to evade the world
Yet I will forever build my own" - Tuomas Holopainen

CharlesRooster
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Oct 2017, 12:08 pm

I'm unsure of whether I'm actually autistic(probably am but idk), but I was never bullied at all, I guess because I was practically invisible to everybody.

W̸̨̨̢̢̡̨̡̡̧̡̢̧̧̢̡̡̡̨̛͍̯̳̹̩̖̮̖̣̤̜̼͈̜͓̱̩͓̞̠̲̻̩̟͙̤̦̠̼̙̯̲͎͈̦͇̼̭̬͓͉̟̬̰̲̩͍̮̗̗̝̺̥̲͚͎͔̙̰͈̘̖͚͇͎̳̠̹̙̫̳̻̳̳̼̞̻̜̱͓̝̗̬͎̬̳͕̭̳͇̬̯̙͎͎̖̞̰̪͖̫̦̟͉͓̲̙̻̥̦̠̺̪̰͈̰͖̗̟͖͉͉̞̲̤̝̪͙̠̳̥̤̼̦̥̳̞̪̙͈̼̹̙͖̘̞͇͔̟̣̝͍͙͈̮̰̱͉̠̤̠̲̫̼̗̫̙̭̙͈̫̺̘̲̗̗̞̩̖̦̞̟͍̘͇͉̝̖̥͔͕̣̩͇̱̪͓̩̹͎̻̙̗̬͈̰̝͕̠͎̩̞̩͛͌̈́͐̈́̌͐̐̉̈̐̍̌́͛͂̈́̾͂̈́̊̃͋̓̃̌̎̈́̏̀̈́̈́͒̀̍̾͐͑͒̋̃̑̇̽̉͊̈̌͗̐̽̅̈́͆̋̂̇̀̀̋͂͑̚̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅͅe̶̡̧̧̨̧̧̡̧̛̛̛̛̛̤̱̬̥͖̹̱̹̦̺͚͙̜͎͈͚̭͙̦̻͚͉̹͙̘͔͍̬̲̦͕̟̯̜̜̗͙͙͈̲̰̯̹̳͖̤͙̥͔̭̼͙͈͈͖̝̥̜̣̼͚̥͔̲̟̤̩͓̹̟͉̬̹̗̩͍͈͈͙̰͎͕͔͖̝̪̞̺̭̤͙̯̻̞͉̙̪̲̼̣̩̥͓̠̭̱͂̈́͆͑̑͌̈́̽̑̄̂̈́́̂̎͒̂͂̋̈́́̓̑̋̀̉̓̆̎̋͐͛̐̃̌́̓̔̌̽̑̀̈́͛̀͌̈́̄̓̍̔̉̄̍͐̀̊̌̒̎̾́̅̌̆̽̆̀́͂͂̄͗̽͑̓͋̄̏̆̐͂̊̀̓̾̒̈́͑͐͆̀̌͒͒̈͛̐̾̂̅̀́̀̇̀̃̒̊͂̇̐̑̎͊̿̂͆̇̃̉̆͒͗̔̽́͗̎͑̓̓̀͆͊̾̐̓̆̇́̊̒͛̀̀̌̏̀͑͗̍͂̑͗̒̄̏̊̍̿͌́̿́͐̍͐̇̿͐͒̿́̽̄͒̊̀̊͛̍̉̂̀̑́̐̀̎̒͛̽͛̆͗̊̄̆̓͗̂͌͐͒̎̈́̋̂̑̓̈́̌͒̅̄̆̓̂̀͊̍̌̏̐͊̉̐̀͌̓͂͛̈́̉̍̕̚̕̕͘̚̕̕̕͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͠͠͠͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅi̸̡̨̛̫̝̹͈͎̩͓̎̄̀̓̂͂͐́̓̔̂̍͑̄̀̀̈̀͌̏̑͑̽́͛̔͊̂͂͋͌̊̎́̄͗́̀̄̒̔̂̏͂̒̿́̀̇͊̾̐͂̏͌͛̓́͆́̏̀̀͊͊̾͒͂͋̅̄̒̽́̑̓̈́̔̔̚̚͘͘͘͘͘̚̕̕͠͝͠͝͝͝ͅř̸̡̧̧̢̨̢̡̢̡̧̡̨̢̨̡̧̢̧̛̛̛̛̛̛̤̗̜̞̝͉̖̯̙̣͕̠̥͚̲̭̯͔̣̥͓̳̳̤̪̲͚̱̤̲͉̭̰̬̙̯̜̜̹͇̱̞̟͚͍̣̲̲̣͇͕̞͕̠̟͓͚̣̠̹͇͔̰̳͓̙̜̹̞͍̺̳͖͈͖̪̬͔̹̗̤͉̥̰͇̘̦͓̩̮͉̬͚̤͇̦͓̹̝̠͔͍̺̪̖͔̱̭̰̻̥̹͎̥̘̯̦̟̤̠͕͚͇͖̞͓̼͉̱̙̱͉̘̮̤̱̩̖̰̤̦̥̝̳̠̳͓̹̥͖̘̹̫̭̲̟͈͚̺͙̠͖̪̠̜͖̟̤̙̗̥̜̯̱̣̩͇͔̰̬̹͕̦̞͇͇͇̺͕̹̜͎͔͎̲̰͕́̈͊̀̒̉̅́͒̉̆̇̓͛̓̃̐̍͌̽͊̑̂͛̏̄͗̑̐̈̿͛͐̈́̔̒̀̽̿́̔̾̔̆͐͌͆͂̒͊̀̈́̔͑͊̔̉̓̇̄̌̒̋̈́̅̾̿̋̊̋͌̅̇̀͆͋̏͐̈́͑͂̀̽́́̋͂̊̌̓̀̈̓̈́́̈́̀̓͆̒̒͗̾̃̃̀̏̒͒̎̀̀̒̈̄̈́͊̀̈́̋͛́̍̀̾͊͆̋͌͊͗͂̊̇̂̌̓̈́̈͂̈̈́̌́̀͛͆̌́̎̅͐̆͋̅̍̃̄̍̎̀́͋́̂̊̈́̓̐́̿̄́̏͂̓̏́̓̔͐̋̑͗̊̒̔͑́̀̊͐̈́̑͌̆̓͌͗̈́͆̄̒͛͒̀̈̆͋̂͑̎͒͒̎̏̑̐̆̐̃͑͛͂̔̚̕̕͘͘̚̕̕̚̕̚͘̚͘͘̚̚͜͜͜͜͠͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͠͠͝͠͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅḏ̵̢̨̨̢̡̧̢̡̧̨̡̢̢̡̢̡̧̧̡̨̧̡̢̨̨̡̡̞̘̼͉̹̥̮͇͎̯͍̲̜̳̥͈̺̪̮̲̠̣̳̭͎͔͉̼͖̮̤̱̘͉̫͖̠̭̝̯͙͍̙̖̪͚̺̬̮̯̱̪̜̤̪̮̙̯̫̩͚͇͓͚̪͖̞͖̫̝̣͎͉͉̮̭̰̭̬̗̲̙̩͇̤͈̩͇̳͈͙̮̱̬̼̙̖̪͔̙̳̬̖̫̱̲̪̺͎̖̣̟̹̙̞̼̹͔̝̞͙͖͈̠͔̲̰̯̫̗̪̰̬̖͍̰̩̮̱͕͎̪͔͓͈͎͍̻͓͇̯͉̫̳̮͉̹̺͈̬̣͕͔͎͖̱̪͈̲͕̰̜̱̺̝̙̰͓̝̤̺̠̘͔̰̣͔̹̰͇̯͚̱̞̥̦͚͍̹̙̦̪̲̤̗̘͔̝̯̲͓̠̺̱̙̲͇̘͈͚͍͍̻̫̱̲͚̠͔̗̪̹̻̝̜̫͚̦̫͙̜̩̽̀̌͒͌̍͛̄̉̎̎̈͂̋̓̌͋͌̒̌̐̍́̇̊͂͗̓̓̓̾̂̓̓̒̽͆́̈͆̑͋̀̅̎͂̈́̄͊̂́̽̽̌̿̀͑̍̍͋͋̊̈̐̈́̈́̌̂͑́̈́͘͘̚̕̚͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͠͝͠͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅơ̶̢̢̧̡̧̨̧̨̢̧͙͉̳̖̘̠͓̙͍͍̞̖̘̠̯͙̗͍̦̰̠̰̜̩̼̬̱͇͈̫̗͙̩̦͚̝͚̞͉̫͔̥̤̩̪̘̫̤̜̩̮̱̹̟̞̻̥̞̼̘̦̙̻̩̼̝͓̠͈̯̼̳̘̮̭̣̖̻̻̳̟̘̰͖̲̝̬͓̰͇̲̞͎̹̱̹̰̳̫͉̭͎͎̙̬̹̗̘̠̱̩̓͂̋̅̂͌͒̿̀͒̋̊͂͊͒̽̆̑̔̋́͋̐͆̊̆̏̈́͊̓̏͂̎̽̌̄̀̄̃̄́̿́̌̒́͒̋͋̍̇̑̍͒̊͆̊̐̉̐̔͋͆͐̎͋͗̈́̍̈͊̾̃́̑̆̅̃͋̀́̊̂̀̑̎̀͆̄̍̓̾̓̽̈́͋̀̿̎́́̆͗͂̐͂̐͗̽́̓̊̂̐̃́̃̇́̿̀̍̑́̐̋̋̂͂͗̇͊̉̊̃̽̆͆͆͑̇͆͒́̀͌̇̓̄̆́̀͆͆̾̾̀́̐̏̄̏̉̀̽̈́̑͊̉̒̄̀͘̚̕͘̚̕͘̚͘̕͘͘͘̕͜͜͜͜͠͝͠͝͠͝͝͠͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͠͝ͅͅ

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 3:24 pm

I have never been bullied in my life so far.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

shilohmm
Raven
Raven

20 Oct 2017, 12:52 pm

starcats wrote:
I was never bullied. Is it easier for girls to blend in?

According to the books, girls tend to bully girls in very different ways than boys bully boys, so that may be part of it. I don't remember the specifics at the moment (read a bunch of books on bullying when my kids were approaching school age), but for sure it's less physical, and I think it's more about implying you're low on the hierarchy through verbal teasing or something. I do remember thinking, "Oh, yeah, that happened, but I never cared."

I did deal with some bullying from boys, but the biggest bully in my life was my dad, and compared to him nothing at school remotely compared. I could stand up to my dad somewhat, and all of the school bullies were smaller, less intimidating, and less important to my life. I did have a running, mostly one-sided feud with a guy all through fifth grade -- I'd be upside down on the jungle gym he'd grab my glasses and stomp on them -- which had my dad wondering why I was all of a sudden breaking my glasses so often, which it was obvious enough the teacher gave us a stern talking to, but while I found it annoying I don't remember every being scared of him or anything.

And I was bullied by a friend of mine in sixth grade, but I knew she was doing it to try to impress someone else, and I'd always felt kind of sorry for her for various reasons, so while that was the most emotionally painful bullying (because she was supposed to be my friend), in one sense it still wasn't a big deal (I'd always known we were friends mostly because of convenience -- only two girls our age in the area combined with our dads working together). But most of the bullying I dealt with that I was aware of was either short lasting or intermittent -- my brother dealt with far worse and far longer.

OTOH I dealt with a lot of sexual harassment, which I tend to think of as a form of bullying (both bullies and people who sexually harass tend to target those they perceive as flaunting social norms, for instance), although it's not what the term bullying usually calls to mind.

mauloch_baal

20 Oct 2017, 2:29 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
It seems like the majority of people on the spectrum got bullied in school and school life was a lonely time.

Is there anyone here who was not a constant target for bullies ( I'm sure everyone has been bullied a few times ) and felt school wasn't that bad an experience.

When I started high school there were some that bullied me or at least tried to initially. This one kid put a bee on my neck which stung me. The following day in first period the teacher left the room I got up with hardcover textbook in hand and whacked the same kid hard enough to knock him out of his chair. His response was that didn't hurt so I said how about I do it again, he replied no. No problems after that, although high school was still a lonely time though.

EverythingAndNothing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Oct 2017, 4:59 pm

I was never bullied. Looking back, it still baffles me that I wasn't since I never had any friends but I was always just left alone. I played by myself, ate lunch by myself, did everything by myself and I don't remember any instance where I was ever picked on. I can only attribute it to the fact that I was always so much in my own head that I wasn't much of a target- there was simply no way to get any kind of reaction out of me. I also viewed myself intellectually equal to adults from a very young age so I stood up straight, kept my head high, and acted so overly mature that if anyone had tried to pick on me, I would have done little more than raise an eyebrow at them for being so childish.

That's about all that I can think of, though. The only other thing that might have helped me is that I was so content to be by myself that I never even made an attempt to play with other kids. I imagine it's hard to pick on a kid for being friendless who hasn't shown any signs of wanting friends in the first place.

byakuugan
Raven
Raven

20 Oct 2017, 5:20 pm

I feel like I wasn't bullied any more than the average student, though I only attended grades K-8 before going to college. I think the biggest form of bullying was when the teachers would give me more severe punishments compared to my peers, due to my analytical personality. My more impulsive, emotional peers could get away with more, as long as they promised to try and control their emotions next time.... whereas my analytical personality prevented me from getting away with as much.... I guess the teachers assume that someone with a more analytical personality should know better, but if that's the case, then why aren't aspies automatically appointed positions of leadership?

GraysonTerry19
Raven
Raven

21 Oct 2017, 9:50 am

Don't remember much about middle school & junior high (except the fact that people just pitted me which I hate the most), I did have one bully who stalked me a lot & he would be sarcastic about wanting to be gay with me...that started around 2010 (I think) & ended around September of 2013 during first semester of my junior year in high school.

Their were other bullies too (even in high school too) but hopefully karma will get them eventually.....I doubt karma will get them though.