Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Oct 2017, 6:15 pm

bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09b1zbb/chris-packham-aspergers-and-me

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 6:46 pm

Highly recommend this to anyone who can view it.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 6:54 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Highly recommend this to anyone who can view it.

watching it for a 2nd time now :lol:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 5:41 am

I only found out about this by seeing a thread for it on Digital Spy last night.

Of course I had already missed it by then, so I'm going to watch it on catch up.

May as well do it now.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 10:51 am

It's great, definitely keeping my DVR recording of this!

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

18 Oct 2017, 2:50 pm

Just about to watch it for the 2nd time. Great documentary, made me a bit tearful, when Chris was talking about his thoughts of suicide and it brought back my old memories :cry:

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 6:08 pm

I liked it, overall.

I loved the various animals, especially the porcupine.

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

20 Oct 2017, 12:52 am

I just spotted this on iplayer yesterday. The crazy thing is, even as a kid I really liked Chris Packham. I thought he was interesting and cool and intelligent. Finding out he's an Aspie does not really come as a surprise.

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 2:24 am

I'm looking forward to seeing this. I love it when people in the public eye come out and talk about being in the spectrum. I love it because it demonstrates in the most powerful way how diverse the spectrum is. Soon, perhaps in a decade or so, we (those of us who are high functioning) will no longer be be told, "well, I would never have guessed." Or, "But you look so normal to me."

Even here on WP I have observed how challenging it is for people in the spectrum to be accepting of difference. Difference of expressions of autism. Often it frustrates me how even people in the spectrum can be so judgmental and lacking in acceptance of their fellow brothers and sisters. This obsession with black and white thinking over rational mindedness.

When people as high functioning as Chris Packham talk about their life, we can all wake up a little more to the deeper truth that autism is not quite what you see. It's an experience that cannot be put into a convenient one size fits all box.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Oct 2017, 2:53 am

Brilliant programme. The girlfriend had to chuckle at some of his "quirks" as they were similar to mine.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

20 Oct 2017, 5:13 am

Just watched this last night and found it quite interesting. Best bit being that he is/was into punk! Also enjoyable to see someone else hanging their clothes in a specific way :D

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 7:23 am

I've noticed that the Digital Spy thread on this very programme, has brought all of Digital Spy's own Asperger's population out of the woodwork.

Hitherto unheard from on DS as they were in the closet about their Asperger's until this documentary aired.

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Oct 2017, 6:37 am

I was sceptical at first because the BBC iPlayer image showed a black dog, as if comparing it to depression. But I've since seen that he explains the condition very well and does a good job at presenting the anti-cure message to a mainstream audience.

Link for non-UK users: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_tn0GFlwwI

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 11:20 am

I enjoyed it too, found it relatable, the first part about his younger life and his sisters observations from their childhood was very interesting.
It's by no means perfect, considering the 14% full time employment rate but I'm glad the UK leans towards a social model of disability instead of promoting ABA/cures.
"No one should be imprisoned by this condition, they should be allowed to exalt in those aspects of the condition which empower them"

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 3:46 pm

Loved it!

He's so like my Dad.

I understand that feeling of thinking there was something wrong with me, but i didn't know why. I like that he doesn't think it is 'something wrong' just a different way to be.

For the international users who can't access iPlayer here's an interview so you know what we're going on about.

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

26 Oct 2017, 1:44 am

hurtloam wrote:
Loved it!

He's so like my Dad.

Now that just makes me feel old! Thanks for the link though, I have now just had a mini-obsession hour of watching Chris on youtube. And I still think he's amazing.