Update on emotional progress

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2017, 10:51 pm

I guess this is an update thread and I can still use a bit of hugs and encouragement/support. I say that the last few days have turned me rough for some reason. I have been facing dread/worries about things like nuclear wars and other mass human extinction threats like EMP blasts. I read that they are becoming a more likely threat for the USA (I think we are more vulnerable than other countries are) and that North Korea themselves could be planning a strike like that.

I just need some type of support our encouragement. I know people say there is nothing I can really do to control it. I have been driven mad especially in the last few days. I say that I was usually a more bitter person since I first started high school. This is kind of overlooked. I had tried venting on other forums before, and at worst, I was mocked or gained up on.

I love you guys, though.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 5:59 pm

I dont know what to say other than dont worry about it. Sorry bro. Hope someone can make you feel better.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 9:39 am

Where are you getting your scary information?
I find it very telling that news agencies function on ratings, just like TV stations. They sensationalize whatever gets them watched. It's nowhere near factual. Sensationalism is meant to scare people. Scare you into thinking you need to give up your privacy, autonomy and freedom in order to be "safe."
They get the power to do whatever they like without question if you're scared and convinced you need them.
A bitter conspiracy theory might not be great either, but maybe better than semi-irrational anxiety?
I hope you can chill out some. :)

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 9:58 am

I'm sorry you are going through this level of anxiety! Whatever is going on, it's not likely that your perceived fear of nuclear war is the real source. It could be that your fear of nuclear war represents a feeling that you lack control in your life. Just a suggestion.

In either case, I'd recommend staying away from the news for awhile, and attempting to focus on something that gives you relief from anxiety. If you have any special interests (that don't involve reading/watching the news), I'd recommend you find some solace in them. Us folks on the spectrum are prone to anxiety, and we need some outlet that helps us relieve that anxiety.

These things you are worrying about are out of your control. And, nobody has control over their own life, at least not absolutely. All you can do is make the best decisions you can in your life, and think more about yourself and how you can best support yourself. Just live one day at a time, and make decisions that benefit you (those decisions may be helping others, etc. which can benefit you as well).