Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Beep Boop
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Oct 2017, 1:49 pm

Hello everyone!

Ah, I'm not sure how much I can say here. I mean, in this post on this part of the forum. Just tell me if my post should be deleted!
Well first, I guess I've got to say that I am not diagnosed but I suspect I'm on the spectrum. Oh I should precise that I'm a girl and I'm 22 years old.

So... the thing is, if we refer to the triad of autism, I obviously have what you would call troubles with social communication. I don't have too much trouble interpreting facial expressions and body language, but I have trouble participating in a conversation, especially if there are 3 persons or more for example. It's hard thinking of what to say, when to say it and stuff like that I suppose. And I'm not shy! For instance I'm comfortable with oral presentation in front of large groups because the unilaterality of the exchange makes it easier.

BUT I don't think I have a lot of empathy issues. I can often feel very vividly the emotions of someone else. Hmm, I guess I just always have difficulties with understanding when people are angry even if they explain it to me? Also I've been told a few times that I was being annoying with someone I thought I just had a great conversation with? So I don't know, maybe my thinking I don't have empathy issues is biased.

On the topic of highly-focused interests, I'm not sure about that too. I do get obsessed easily when I discover something new and interesting but it usually only lasts a few days tops. There are things I was always very interested in since I was a child or at least young, but I don't think I'm that knowledgeable in them? Animals / insects, anatomy, programming and art.

There are a lot of things I've read about autistic people that I can relate to but I won't list them all here because that would just be too long.

However, something else I wanted to mention is that if I happened to officially be considered autistic, that would explain a lot of things about my life history and my personality.
More precisely, that would explain my psychiatric history : depression, suspicion of schizophrenia / psychosis, agoraphobia, stuff like that.

Anyhow! I'm here to find people I can relate to, maybe find some help and help me determine if there is a chance (or not) that I'm on the autistic spectrum.
My psychiatrist is on holiday and I won't be able to see her until the start of november and I have just to many things that I think about to keep it to myself until then.

Have a great day everyone!

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 1:55 pm

Welcome! Being able to feel the emotions of others doesn't mean you're not autistic. In fact, there is a theory that some autistic people experience hyperempathy, which means they feel others' emotions so intensely that they shut down. As for the interests, that doesn't disqualify you from being autistic either. I often experience the same thing: being really into a certain subject for a few days, but then losing interest somewhat as I move on to other things. And you don't have to be an expert in your special interest to be autistic. So there is a chance that you are. Best of luck. :D

Beep Boop
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Oct 2017, 2:01 pm

Thanks! Ah it's great to be able to talk here.
Because I've been looking at books at my local Autism Ressource Center but most of the documentation I can find there is about children, development of the autistic children, testimony of parenting, stuff like that...
One of the persons that works there told me that it was complicated to get a diagnosis at my age.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 8:42 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 9:46 am

Welcome to the ASD and Aspie group! Those of us, and perhaps yourself too in time, who have Asperger's Syndrome have found a great deal of comfort in these forums so be as honest as you can and enjoy!

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)