I Prefer Jumping Into the Game Instead of Leveling Up

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 6:22 pm

I find some games making it a chore to play it. You have to constantly level up to achieve some things. I mean it makes sense and goes along with the story, but it can be kind of annoying sometimes. The Elder Scroll games I hate going through the beginning to start the game when I'm at a friends house. I like games that throw you into it without the need of leveling up or any tutorial, and the best tutorial is in the pause menu.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 6:02 am

Clearly enough, RPGs aren't your cup of tea.

I don't mind the genre in and of itself, but some RPGs - especially JRPGs - can get unnecessarily grindy, which I do think detracts from the experience.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 2:44 pm

Games with leveling up? Sure, its a chore at first...then it turns into a one-sided massacre lol
unless you're playing some Elder Scrolls BS, in which case everything else levels up with you...

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 2:52 pm

Personally I like the sense of achievement I get when I level up, although I get bored/annoyed if you have to keep going through things over and over to get to a high enough level to move on (like I have to do with Bloodborne - or maybe I'm just not a skilled enough gamer for it). And there are also things like Pokemon where I spend so much time in one place (like trying to catch every kind of Pokemon in an area) that I'm at a much higher level than I'm supposed to be and things are too easy.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 7:17 am

I grew up with games that maybe required a bit of grinding here and there, so it never really bothers me. Especially if you can play those games on a handheld, you can grind and watch TV at the same time B)

As long as the game has good leveling mechanics, anyway. I really like when games that aren't RPGs have stats you can level up, like System Shock 2, or Deus Ex, or even Puzzle Quest. Heck, even GTA: San Andreas had stats you could work on.

I'm not really into min/maxing though, I just like having the sense that your character is actually improving throughout the game.

ZachGoodwin wrote:
I like games that throw you into it without the need of leveling up or any tutorial, and the best tutorial is in the pause menu.

Ugh, yes, forced tutorials are the worst. I have played very few games where the tut actually teaches you anything, and I have played plenty of games where the tut annoyed me enough to quit playing before the actual game even started >_<

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 10:00 am

Yeah, I tend to agree.

My most played genre is roguelikes, both turn-based and real-time, and while they sometimes have level-up systems, most of the time they do not. And not only is grinding not necessary in them, but it isnt even possible. They're usually specifically designed to prevent any form of grinding, because it breaks the challenge entirely.

But also they dont obsess with story stuff, so there's no lengthy starting bit that takes like two bloody hours before you get to the actual gameplay. With this genre, you jump in, and get started instantly, simple as that.

I will tend to min-max the hell out of things though, but.... that works very differently in one of these than it does in a JRPG.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 2:54 pm

I never really had a problem with leveling up, it gives me something to do and it makes me feel like I'm actually progressing somewhere. I do hate unnecessary grinding though(Disgaea I'm looking at you.) I think games like Demon's Souls and Dark souls and Bloodborne does it pretty well.

In Skyrim I tend to level up without even noticing it. I never notice, and when I finally look I think to myself "I'm level 30 already!?"

For the people that hate leveling up, if you play old school games then do not touch 7th Saga! You will have to grind like crazy to even go through the game and the enemies are really hard to kill! Expect to die MANY times trying to play that game!(But at least you don't have to go through a tutorial.)

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 12:32 am

AquaineBay wrote:
For the people that hate leveling up, if you play old school games then do not touch 7th Saga!

Here's a patch that changes the difficulty back to how the original Japanese version was: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/264/

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 5:52 am

This is why I mostly play fighting games.

I do like when fighting games have unlockables like costumes, but when these don't really affect damage.