Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ritualdrama
Toucan
Toucan

18 Oct 2017, 9:14 pm

So, recently I was talking to a friend of mine who is into the whole "the secret"/"law of attraction"/"new age" stuff.

I was talking to her about slavery and racism and white "supremacy". Telling her things most people don't know about because they don't care to read a book or an internet article at the least.

She's a white person. She tried to bring up how "the law of attraction" had to have had something to do with it. I'm really tired of white pretentious hippies who try to heal everyone but can't handle talking about the crimes that Western "civilization" is built on.

What do you all think of neurotypicals and their "positive thoughts"/"law of attraction"? I have some people like that on my FB who are acquaintances and I feel like they're trying to "heal" me...Let's face it, being a "healer" these days is trendy.

I'm a firm believer that the dark side has to be delved into in order for real healing to happen. But these people only want to look on the bright side and I find it enraging.

Would like to hear some thoughts on the subject.

http://bit.ly/1L29X77

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Oct 2017, 10:26 pm

What is Law Of Attraction :?:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 10:52 pm

ritualdrama wrote:
So, recently I was talking to a friend of mine who is into the whole "the secret"/"law of attraction"/"new age" stuff.

I was talking to her about slavery and racism and white "supremacy". Telling her things most people don't know about because they don't care to read a book or an internet article at the least.

She's a white person. She tried to bring up how "the law of attraction" had to have had something to do with it. I'm really tired of white pretentious hippies who try to heal everyone but can't handle talking about the crimes that Western "civilization" is built on.

What do you all think of neurotypicals and their "positive thoughts"/"law of attraction"? I have some people like that on my FB who are acquaintances and I feel like they're trying to "heal" me...Let's face it, being a "healer" these days is trendy.

I'm a firm believer that the dark side has to be delved into in order for real healing to happen. But these people only want to look on the bright side and I find it enraging.

Would like to hear some thoughts on the subject.

Disclaimer: I am very, very cynical about this stuff, and my perspective is very dark.

In my opinion, it's magical thinking, driven by fear. I put it in the same category with prosperity theology and a variant of Buddhism popular in the 1960s/70s that involved chanting for material gain.

Folks who are attracted to these practices seem generally terrified by the idea that the universe is big and not subject to their control, so they embrace a version of reality that allows them to believe they can call the shots. And/or they want an excuse to turn their backs on friends and relatives who experience misfortune, so as not to expend $ or effort to help, while feeling superior (telling themselves that whatever-it-is will never happen to *them* because *they* are special, or enlightened, or whatever). These philosophies allow them to do both.

Told you I was cynical. But I've known people like this for over 40 years now, espousing various forms of the same thing. I have never managed to get through to even one person with this belief system - and I've watched people twist themselves into Moebius strips to preserve this belief in the face of their own misfortunes. Don't be too hard on yourself if you can't get through to someone trapped in this mindset; there is no magic phrase that will make things clear to them; reality itself may be unable to get through.

I think you're on the right track. You do you.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 11:00 pm

the prosperity gospel IMHO is the bright shiny side of the counterfeit Objectivist coin.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 11:19 pm

Yep. Prettied up to fool a different set of suckers - and oh my does it. It can be heartbreaking to watch people bankrupt themselves for the sake of a church or a minister who wouldn't p--- on them if they were on fire...

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 12:00 am

IMHO the prosperity gospel as well as objectivism are the philosophies of malignant narcissists. when I saw pat Robertson imply strongly that poor people would burn in hell because god had rejected them, that sealed it for me.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 12:02 am

Total agreement.