olympic official proposes microchipping athletes

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

who here is opposed to forced chipping of athletes?
I'm OPPOSED! I'm not a PET! :x 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
It's time to do this. :thumleft: 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I dunno, need more data. :shrug: 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Where's my ice cream? :chef: 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 8

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 12:40 am

(clicky)Chief of World Olympians Association Mike Miller proposes mandatory chipping of Olympic athletes

Mike Miller, the World Olympians Association chief executive, claimed that radical anti-doping methods – including implants to recognise the effects of banned substances – are needed to protect clean sport.
Some people say we shouldn’t do this to people,” Miller said. “Well, we’re a nation of dog lovers, we’re prepared to chip our dogs and it doesn’t seem to harm them, so why aren’t we prepared to chip ourselves?”
Miller claims a breakthrough in microchip technology is on the horizon and testers need to be aware of developments. His fear is that drug cheats could exploit the technology to avoid detection through self-monitoring, alerting them when their blood has returned to “normal” levels before testers arrive.
Speaking to anti-doping leaders at a Westminster forum on integrity in sport, Miller said: “In order to stop doping we need to chip our athletes where the latest technology is there. Some people say it’s an invasion of privacy, well, sport is a club and people don’t have to join the club if they don’t want to, if they can’t follow the rules.

IMHO this is so wrong on so many levels, I wouldn't know where to begin to pick. the ramifications are alarming to me. once this evil genie is loosed from the bottle, where does it stop? who else will the PTB decide to chip?*
[*the 1%, of course, will never be chipped]
if this isn't "the mark of the beast," then nothing is. 8O anybody else worry about this?

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Oct 2017, 2:07 am

I think it's invasive and I have to agree it has negative ramifications. We do it to pets for a specific reason. I disagree with his comment that sport is a "club". Maybe people who play golf think that way but that's an old-fashioned, snobbish attitude. Most athletes do it because they love their sport and it's a big bonus when they have the honour of getting selected to represent their country.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 4:28 am

Well....when you become an Olympic athlete you become a public figure. So your life is public.

Maybe they should microchip elected officials as well.

Keeps tabs on ..ya know...what they do with interns, how many Russian officials they talk to that they don't report talking to, what they put on the tax forms, etc. :lol:

But seriously...they taught us in business law that famous folks get less protection from libel and slander laws, and have slightly less "right to privacy" than do regular folks like you and me. This is because if you have striven all of your life to get into the lime light then you get less legal protection from the lime light.

Doesn't seem like such a hideously awful thing to me to ask of someone who has devoted their lives to become famous for doing some arcane sport like shot putting to be monitored electronically to see if they are an honest shot puter.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 7:38 pm

The majority of athletes adhere to drug regulations. Why go so draconian because of a small minority (this applies virtually everywhere BTW)?

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 7:48 pm

There is a company in Wisconsin that decided to offer chips to its employees. A surprising number were on board with it.

Chicago Tribune Story on Three Square Market Microchipping Staff

Scares the living crap out of me, to be honest. I'm a technoLuddite when I'm at home. No Siri, no Alexa, no self-driving car, no smart anythings in the house, minimal use of credit cards. Before I moved where I am now I couldn't prevent the power co from installing a smart meter in my previous home, but I flatly refused to install a programmable thermostat (so they could not control my heat and A/C, and yes, in the area where I lived then the power companies were starting to do this to customers). I do not trust the internet of things. I do not love Big Brother.[/rant]

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 11:39 pm

I'll have some chocolate soft-serve ice cream.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 11:56 pm

mee too :chef:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 4:08 am

On the other hand maybe it sets a bad precedent. You might argue that it pushes us down the slipperly slope to Walmart putting chips in each of its employees.

But the thing is this: with the Olympics is not just individuals competing against other individuals. Its also nations with huge expensive programs backing their teams competing against other big organizations and against countries. A nation might dope its athletes to get more medals for propaganda reasons. So this idea also keeps tabs on countries and institutions.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 20 Oct 2017, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Oct 2017, 4:28 am

Personally I think Russian athletes are so good already they don't need any enhancing drugs. Both male and female Russians have frequently dominated our Comrades ultramarathon over the years and certainly weren't taking anything illegal as the CMA governing body is very strict and have on one or two occasions disqualified winners who failed their tests.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 8:40 am

how do any of us know if these things can't be maliciously tampered with or hacked?

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 9:02 am

auntblabby wrote:
how do any of us know if these things can't be maliciously tampered with or hacked?

We don't. But like driverless vehicles and service robots, there is still a strong push to implement this stuff. Go figure.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 9:11 am

^^^all things considered, i'm living in the wrong times....

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 9:32 am

Let's microchip the official.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 10:13 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Let's microchip the official.

i'd pay to see that.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 12:19 am

...Do you know what the Teen Titans and Speedy did at the 1964 Olympics :mrgreen: ?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 12:38 am

I have no idea, please edumacate us on that :mrgreen: