Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 12:54 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
We just want healthcare and government getting out of the bedroom is that really so bad?

You want your standard of living to rise.

However, the "neo-liberal" Democrats appear to have embraced the "free market", and mostly abandoned the working class, because they think that "globalization" cannot be stopped (or they aren't willing to stop it).

The trick will be harnessing globalization for the good of all workers. Despite what Steve Bannon tells you, globalization is here to stay, and no amount of isolationism is going to keep the rest of the world out.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 6:55 am

The_Walrus wrote:
I think your interpretation of the Libya conflict is well off-base. It was absolutely moral and the sands of time have clearly shown that (to my embarrassment I was strongly against it at the time due to my post-Iraq teenage pacifism).

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Arab Spring something more like the ISIS Spring? From what I've been able to see we botched the whole thing terribly in either one of two ways - a) both Gaddafi and Assad were quite often fighting people as bad or worse than themselves and we intervened on their behalf or b) through a combination of going in to both Libya and Iraq and not stabilizing the countries properly in the aftermath (we gave a more honest try in Iraq perhaps) we made it a great place for ISIS et al to flood into and exert their influence. The Middle East seems to be a powder-keg of radical vs. more radical, we've seen that unfolding all too vividly over the last four or five years, and it seems like the only place where things got more liberal along the path of the Arab Spring was Tunisia.

Any which way I've seen the suggestion floated a lot that we exacerbated the situation in North Korea with our adventurism over there. North Korea is also sitting on top of up to $10 trillion in rare earth minerals which is another thing to make Kim Jong Un consider that his days are numbered or that his best bet is to try extorting North Korea's economic relationship with the rest of the world to both stay in power and moderate the outflow of those resources at a price he gets to decide on.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Oct 2017, 8:21 am

A lot of the Syrian opposition were significantly better than Assad. If we'd properly supported the Kurds and the Free Syrian Army in setting up a new government then who knows, maybe they'd have stamped out ISIS the same way that the Libyans did (ISIS currently control no territory in Libya).

HughDYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2017, 8:40 am

no future. i hope.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 7:11 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
A lot of the Syrian opposition were significantly better than Assad. If we'd properly supported the Kurds and the Free Syrian Army in setting up a new government then who knows, maybe they'd have stamped out ISIS the same way that the Libyans did (ISIS currently control no territory in Libya).

Just going through last month's Google feed right at the top:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/24/politics/ ... index.html
http://www.dw.com/en/thousands-of-stran ... a-40866412

It's not sounding anything like a resolved conflict.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

HughDYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2017, 5:39 am

this is the future of democrates. :D

"Don't be told what you want, don't be told what you need
There's no future, no future, no future for you"

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Oct 2017, 3:56 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Just going through last month's Google feed right at the top:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/24/politics/ ... index.html
http://www.dw.com/en/thousands-of-stran ... a-40866412

It's not sounding anything like a resolved conflict.

The question isn't "is Libya bad?", it's "is Libya better off than it would be if we hadn't intervened?"

To quote your articles:
Quote:
While the ISIS presence in Libya has been much reduced following a nearly five-month-long US air campaign against the terror group in the final stretch of the Obama administration, small groups of ISIS fighters had begun to reconstitute themselves in remote desert areas

Doesn't sound much like Syria, does it?
Quote:
The militia, known as Anti-ISIS Operation Room, wrestled control of the Sabratha from the al-Ammu armed group after about two weeks of heavy fighting. On Sunday, the victorious faction reported finding over 4,000 migrants in various locations across the city, where they have been reportedly trapped by clashes.

This is several orders of magnitude below the situation in Syria. The chances are that many of these migrants aren't Libyans, but Nigerian, Eritrean, Somalian, and Ethiopian refugees trying to get to safety in Europe.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 7:11 pm

Fair enough if your criteria is comparing it to Syria at present, just that I don't think it's an open-and-shut case that going into Libya was a brilliant idea. In part of that math I don't think it can be directly argued that without toppling Libya we'd have two identical Syria's going on right now, particularly with Libya being a fair geographic distance from the heart of most of the jihadi action and the Shiite/Sunni war whereas Syria's right in the center of it. It might have more realistically looked like Nigeria's face-offs with Boko Haram but much more organized military response.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 11:35 pm

HughDYork wrote:
this is the future of democrates. :D

"Don't be told what you want, don't be told what you need
There's no future, no future, no future for you"

Told what we want and need? That certainly isn't Trump.

HughDYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2017, 1:21 am

Nobody will ask you what you need anymore.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 1:37 am

HughDYork wrote:

If they want my vote they will.

HughDYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2017, 4:13 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
HughDYork wrote:

no, they dont. now they dont.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 2:36 pm

HughDYork wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
HughDYork wrote:

As long as I and others have the vote - and use it - elected politicians need beware of us, as we can boot them out of office, and undo what they've accomplished. That's why blacks were so easily treated like trash by whites during segregation, because they didn't have the vote, so nobody cared about their concerns till Lyndon Johnson put an end to Jim Crow.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 2:49 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
HughDYork wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
HughDYork wrote:

As long as I and others have the vote - and use it - elected politicians need beware of us, as we can boot them out of office, and undo what they've accomplished. That's why blacks were so easily treated like trash by whites during segregation, because they didn't have the vote, so nobody cared about their concerns till Lyndon Johnson put an end to Jim Crow.

Even though LBJ was the biggest d!ckcheesing sonfab!tch that ever held the office, until the orange Cheeto came into office?

HughDYork
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2017, 3:08 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
HughDYork wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
HughDYork wrote:

You have no clue. You and other decide nothing. I dont want to be rude i just say true. Honestly time of votes in the past. Something changed drasticaly. Not everyone noticed it yet. The modern world goes to hell. Something realy horroble came. The time of pure chaos. And you did not notice. It is here. Now :lol:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 5:01 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
HughDYork wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
HughDYork wrote:

Even though LBJ was the biggest d!ckcheesing sonfab!tch that ever held the office, until the orange Cheeto came into office?

But he was a wonderful dancer. :lol: