Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

emilyemily
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Oct 2017, 2:29 pm

Apologies if there is already a post about this, I wasn't quite sure what to search for.

My 11 year old daughter is undiagnosed but suspected Aspergers - she copes pretty well, hence not seeking a diagnosis yet, but watching her sing in the school choir last night reminded me of one of the issues she has that I'm not sure whether I should get checked out or not.

She has what I would describe as low muscle tone and general clumsiness, but one aspect of her posture is that she 'wobbles' slightly - much as a young infant does when they're first sitting up to try to maintain the position, she makes lots of small adjustments to keep upright. I'd say most people wouldn't notice looking at her, but seeing her in amongst her peers, it was visible to me.

In general I'm not too worried about her movement - she plays badminton, cycles and participates in other sports, and aside from the occasional 'how on earth did you manage that?' accident the clumsiness isn't too much of a problem. I just wondered whether it was something other parents of Aspergers children had noticed and whether it was worth trying to do something about it?

Thanks for any replies!

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 2:42 pm

Does it look like a lack of core strength or something else? If it is an issue of core strength and you don't think it is something neurological, or something worrying, you could try having her do exercises that improve core strength and see if it helps. That is probably what physical therapy would do anyway.

emilyemily
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Oct 2017, 4:06 pm

I suspect it's down to core strength but can't be sure. I'll see if I can find any exercises that would be suitable, or if anyone has any links, that would be great :)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 4:12 pm

If she is physically active and plays some sports and rides a bike then chances are she is not 'wobbling' to stay upright. Perhaps its more like the rocking some autistic people do which is more of a stim, than something done to maintain an upright position.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 7:04 pm

Horses! Core strength activity and the best therapists a girl could ever meet. I don't know how I would have survived childhood without them.