Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

jim reaper
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Oct 2017, 3:22 pm

Oh, this feels oh so wrong.
I'm just trying to attain clarification about me...who or what I am. I feel somehow that this is an selfish act and I'm wrong for wanting this. Am i?
I'm 56 and have, for far too many years been the oddball, the strange person who didn't fit in, the joke of the classroom, the wallflower at parties, the family joke, the one my parents looked down on and talked about nearly behind my back , the odd one out!
The thing that sent me on the road to clarification was when I chatted to someone online a year or so ago on a general knowledge quiz site and they said I had what he had....what was that? Rickets? Bad Breath? a limp? He said he thought I was an Aspie. Wow, what was that? Should I be offended? He saw I had certain personality traits that leaned towards being an Aspie. He sent me some links to online tests. I tried them as I was so curious as to what being an Aspie was, and I was very surprised to see I scored 48 out of 50. What a strange feeling, suddenly finding out I was something that I hadn't even heard of before BUT it answered all the queries I had had from the age of...well, 4 years old. I used to sit and look at my mother as she helped me get dressed as a 4 year old, I thought..."I know I am real but I don't know you are". You are just an image that appears about me. There must be a question that I can ask you that will tell me that you aren't real. Hmmm, I thought about this for along time. Years in fact. Existence is of course relative, so I would find it difficult to fathom these questions.
Moving to the relative present, I was still dubious about the quiz results and tried to skew the results, but I still came out 48 out of 50. I ended up with a higher score than my referer did.
So it seems I am different for some very good reasons. I've a high IQ and some specific interests that the (or so it seems) rest of the planet fail to find the slightest bit interesting.
I'm still trying to finalise my diagnosis, but Im informed that that will take 10 months (10 months!) or more as the UK NHS is over stretched.
I'm not sure what will come out of all of this. But I hope that having a name and perhaps a reason for what has been an achingly painful and perplexing confusion for me will relieve some pressure.
Perhaps this will answer why I was ridiculed by my teachers and told to shut up and give the others a chance to answer. Others? there were no others wanting to answer.
My wife says I'm not normal (how nice), and that I'm alien, not of this world, abnormal...she says when I die she wont have to do anything as the Mother ship will come and take me back...and she is somebody who allegedly cares for me.
I'm not sure why I am writing this to you all. Perhaps it's cathartic. But in some small way I feel a small connection with all you aliens. A stronger connection to all of you, than them! :D

thebelgradebelief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Oct 2017, 8:17 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet. I'm glad to see you've found some answers to life's oddities, I think many of us here can relate to your sentiment. I know the feeling of waiting, it's been about 3 months now I've been waiting for my evaluation. Best of luck to you.

High school student with Autism and ADHD.
Diagnosed 3/22/18.

Special Interest: The Beatles

The Abdominal Snowman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Oct 2017, 2:19 am

Quote:
..."I know I am real but I don't know you are".

If you converged upon metaphysics independent of formal education then you're definitely an Aspie.

Endling
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2017, 4:19 am

Hi Jim, welcome.

jim reaper wrote:
Oh, this feels oh so wrong.
I'm just trying to attain clarification about me...who or what I am. I feel somehow that this is an selfish act and I'm wrong for wanting this. Am i?

I believe that is what everybody wants out of life; to find out who they are and how to be happy. So no, there is nothing wrong with that. In fact, it is your right to find out!

The Abdominal Snowman

24 Oct 2017, 9:00 pm

Quote:
was ridiculed by my teachers and told to shut up and give the others a chance to answer.

You knew more than the teacher.

BCTucker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Oct 2017, 1:55 pm

The Abdominal Snowman wrote:
Quote:
..."I know I am real but I don't know you are".

If you converged upon metaphysics independent of formal education then you're definitely an Aspie.

Huh, I'm undiagnosed but suspect I'm an Aspie. Didn't know this was common among us. When I was somewhere around 5 or 6 I spent lot of time wondering whether I was actually moving in space or the world was moving under me, like a treadmill where I stayed in one place forever.