Online TECH. courses - criteria for employment?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2017, 3:29 pm

How many people are considering, or undertaking online vocational / technology certification as the only criteria for any further career development decisions?

Online education (Udacity has the best track record for reliability as of this writing) might provide good leads towards online work projects e.g., Elance, Mechanical Turk, or even some of the lesser-known platforms as a part of an online education track esp. after receiving vocational/TECH. certification.

Udacity offers courses on a subscription basis $200 per month -- a subscription cost that still puts online education out of reach for many. Udacity offers free-trials in online course delivery.

Earmarking $200 per month over the next several months of study towards certification (in TECH. skills that more often than not are in short supply) might just be that "right path."

wanderlust77
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2017, 3:54 pm

I'm doing an online bachelor degree, software development.
The way I see it, I read a lot about it, in tech if you can prove you have the knowledge, you are okay.
Basically if you have a portfolio, you contributed to open source projects, you have a presence on github as a proof, you should be fine.
Although I really have to work through the interview questions too, practice, practice, practice, to seem confident enough and not like an imposter.

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2017, 3:53 pm

Tyler Cowen is an economist familiar with Aspergers.

Cowen has assessed online-education e.g., TECH./vocational certification. Online education might provide good leads towards online work projects e.g., Elance, Mechanical Turk, or lesser-known platforms as a part of an online education track.

Anybody have experiences with online versions of work/study opportunities?

Cowen's book (SEE LINK), 'Average is Over': Chapter 10, 'Relearning Education' discusses how competition in online education opportunities will lower overall tuition costs e.g., as of this writing, one online education provider (with the best rack-record) offers courses on a subscription basis $200 per month -- a subscription cost that still puts online education out of reach for many.

LINK: http://lymeline.com/2014/12/reading-unc ... ler-cowan/

Further information on economist Tyler Cowen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_Cowen