Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 1:06 am

mpersonal Space Brings the Autistic Experience to the Stage

Quote:
ught to life by Company AT with support from Tutti Arts and written by local playwright Emily Steele, Impersonal Space aims to show audiences what life is like for an autistic child. The story follows ‘Nameless’, a nine year old girl with a fondness for star-gazing and hot chips, as she makes her way through school. Nameless is bullied for her difference from others, and her hyper-intelligence makes her a target even more so, leading to feelings of isolation and confusion.

A medical diagnosis confirms that Nameless has autism, and with that clarity she takes comfort in luminary geniuses like Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton, who some speculate might have been on the spectrum themselves.

Impersonal Space’s director Julian Jaensch tells The Adelaide Review that he expects audiences attending to learn not just about the experience of autism in general, but “about how to understand the individual identity of an autistic person and more importantly, what makes them a person.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman