Training for Autistic Computer Controlled Machinists

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 1:43 am

COC to launch Uniquely Abled Acadamy

Quote:
For individuals on the autism spectrum, there are sometimes challenges in navigating the educational system. College of the Canyons is aiming to meet that need through a new program providing advanced training and support for highly functional autistic men and women in the arena of Computer Numeric Controlled (CNC) machinists. The program is called the Uniquely Abled Academy, or UAA, and will open in spring of 2018.

“The nature of the job is detail-oriented, which needs a great amount of focus,” said Mike Bastine, director of the Center for Applied Competitive Technologies (CACT) at College of the Canyons. “Furthermore, machining tasks can be repetitive, which lends this career to be ideally suited for the high-function uniquely abled population.”

The UAA CNC machining course at COC will be a 12-week program that provides 420 hours of training and instruction to participating individuals, which includes soft skills, open laboratory, job readiness, and 21st century skills training. After completing the not-for-credit course, graduates will be qualified for entry-level positions as CNC operators, machinist apprentices, and machine trainees.

“This CNC machining program is only the beginning,” said Bastine. “This is a pilot program, which can evolve and be replicated at other locations and into other manufacturing career fields, such as robotics, CNC programming, manufacturing assembly, and industry maintenance.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman