Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 10:42 am

I met with a doc that used to be my doc for a long time and now I am seeing her again. I still can't get the courage to actually say ASD to her but I said "Do you think my problem is really meltdowns?" She said " Yes, your bipolar is completely under control IMO, you have meltdowns frequently which trigger sudden suicidal ideation or self harm feelings in you. Your meds do not need to be changed, you need therapy."

Probably I should have asked if they are suspecting an ASD but this is no surprise because the word meltdown was all over my child psych reports. I had a couple previous docs say any ASD symptoms in me did not warrant a diagnosis because I'm not "disabled" by them but now they are saying meltdowns not MI are landing me in the psych ward should along with my social skills deficiencies and narrow interests I made a case for diagnosis? I was given AQ and RAADS by a master's level therapist and they pinged positive before. Dang nov. 1st it's going to be 10 years on this site. Back then I was typing on here on an old computer, now I'm posting from a little phone lol.

What else really causes such severe meltdowns in adults?

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 6:52 pm

You say that previous psychologists have said your symptoms didn't warrant an ASD diagnosis - has the specific psychologist you are seeing now said this? Is it because you are scared she will say the same thing that you don't want to bring it up?

As far as I know (I'm no expert), the only thing that causes meltdowns in the sense used by ASD is ASD. However, there is also the generic word used by the general population, which would probably mean any kind of negative explosive behaviour. Without using the term ASD, Aspergers, Autism, or something like that, I don't think you will be able to determine what kind of meltdown she is referring to.

I'm also curious about what you mean by other psychologists having said you don't warrant a diagnosis. Do you mean they actually did a diagnosis which came back negative, or do you mean they didn't think it was worth perusing a diagnosis because even if you got one, it wouldn't likely result in any kind of accommodations being offered?

I know that, in my case, although I did get a diagnosis, the psychologist did tell me before doing the diagnosis that, although he was pretty sure I was on the spectrum just by talking to me, I was unlikely get any kind of special accommodation because I am very high functioning; we would essentially be doing the diagnosis just to satisfy my curiosity. I decided I did want to proceed with the assessment, which did come back positive.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 1:52 am

If opening up to them in person is too difficult, can you write a couple of pages saying that you think you are autistic, that this makes you have trouble with reading other people's intentions, which has caused a lot of harm in your life, like being scammed by your uncle, etc.. I'd include some reasons why you think you fit the triad of impairments, but mostly focus on how this is affecting your life to the extent that you really need a diagnosis to get the necessary help, because you are very vulnerable.

I would focus on explaining how women often seem less autistic than they are, and that you are very scared of opening up to mental health professionals because your concerns have been brushed aside before, as if they are not really impacting your life, which is patently wrong, when looking at some of the threads you've been making over time.

This thread contains a lot of useful info and resources. Maybe you could even show it to the doctor?
viewtopic.php?t=286363

From reading your posts over a period of time, I get the impression that you have major communication difficulties and have a hard time deciding what information is relevant at any given time. You can quote me on that.

That's why I think writing might help you collect your thoughts.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 1:49 pm

I am just scared she will just brush me aside like she did before. I had one previous doc think I had it but the diagnosis would not change "my treatment plan"

My current doc thinks the appropriate therapy is DBT but in fact one place in town I went to get that type of therapy a few years ago determinded I needed autism therapy instead and the doc (same one I have now) didn't agree with it but I don't know why and I never asked her why she felt at that time I had borderline personality instead of AS. She is suggesting DBT again so I am assuming she still feels the same way.

It still really bothers me though. for example not long ago when I was hospitalized an older lady was bragging to everyone about her adult son, who she introduced as having Asperger's and he's an engineer and very intelligent, I overheard this. Then later she turns to me and after I introduced myself she's like "your so much like my son!" And the lady didn't mention AS to me but she kept comparing me to her son... I mean having a complex with wondering about AS arrrggghhh but at least the lady said nothing negative about him you could tell she loves him a lot

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 2:00 pm

Angnix wrote:
I am just scared she will just brush me aside like she did before. I had one previous doc think I had it but the diagnosis would not change "my treatment plan"

My current doc thinks the appropriate therapy is DBT but in fact one place in town I went to get that type of therapy a few years ago determinded I needed autism therapy instead and the doc (same one I have now) didn't agree with it but I don't know why and I never asked her why she felt at that time I had borderline personality instead of AS. She is suggesting DBT again so I am assuming she still feels the same way.

It still really bothers me though. for example not long ago when I was hospitalized an older lady was bragging to everyone about her adult son, who she introduced as having Asperger's and he's an engineer and very intelligent, I overheard this. Then later she turns to me and after I introduced myself she's like "your so much like my son!" And the lady didn't mention AS to me but she kept comparing me to her son... I mean having a complex with wondering about AS arrrggghhh but at least the lady said nothing negative about him you could tell she loves him a lot

Interesting, that's very much like how I found I am on the spectrum. Someone whose son has ASD had mentioned that I react to certain situations in a way very similar to his son (quite the shock at age 36!).

In any case, I'm interpreting what you said to mean:
1) You have discussed the possibility of being on the spectrum with your current psychologist, and she thinks not.
2) You've never had a formal diagnosis that either confirms or denies this.

If this is the case, can you ask for a formal diagnosis to get the matter settled?

EDIT: Original post accidentally was quoting Angnix twice. Removed one of the two quotes.

Last edited by SplendidSnail on 21 Oct 2017, 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 2:11 pm

I don't know if a formal dx is covered by my Medicaid but I am thinking about calling the University if Michigan autism place or something since they are relatively close and better than a small CMH. Resources in Southeast Michigan or even Toledo would help me tons. Most of the services here are for people that have like severe autism and for sure I'm pretty high functioning despite devistating meltdowns that happen quite frequently. I need to get the right treatment. I do have bipolar but I'm tired of them changing my meds or being hospitalized every single time I get upset/meltdown over stressors.