Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 12:40 am

I almost never say it out loud. Sometimes there thought does come to my head, like I feel like "oh that person is cute" if it's one of the three people I wanted to date or the more sibling love I guess, I want to hug my brother and sister all the time, but they won't have it. :( Speaking is always difficult, especially as someone who did not benefit from speech therapy.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 1:59 am

The name thing is weird... I still can't use people's names, it just feels so awkward.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 2:05 am

I dislike the name thing too. I will often refer to people by their function, or position - the neighbour, the doctor, the boss. It seems more succinct to me anyway, especially if that person only fills that role in my experience.
People have told me that's "depersonalizing," especially coupled with the fact that I often refer to people inanimately - saying things like "what did it say?" Instead of you/he/she, or "when are you creatures coming back?"
I don't mean anything negative by it. I just avoid the more intimate terms.

stevet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Oct 2017, 3:14 am

Total agree with the name thing, I find it too personal and get really freaked out if someone I am not really close to uses my name, i think I always think people using my name are trying to get round me or have me over in some way maybe because those sales type people are encouraged too address possible customers ect by name to make out they are friends ect.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 3:25 am

asdmayb26 wrote:
I can't get myself to say anything affectionate even if it is through text message. When I want to, like right now, I fear that I will be rejected even though I probably won't be rejected. I get this feeling in the pit of my stomach and panic. Any other aspies go through this? :cry:

This is a really big one for me as well and I'm not entirely sure why although I know for a fact that it's a fundamental Autistic trait.

If I had to surmise my reasons for lack of affection I would say intense panic takes over that I will be acting inappropriately or I've noticed that NTs see kindness and affection as weakness so I'm afraid that someone will see the opportunity to take advantage of me somehow.

Also perhaps that my relationship with whoever I showed affection to will turn weird and then they will socially isolate me and figure out my Autistic secret.

As well I think it's because that I don't have any emotional control that I will turn into a weeping and sobbing and crying mess in front of them if I I show affection and I will simply take it too far.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 1:23 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Shilohmm, me too! I, too, feel uncomfortable when someone uses my name to me in sentences!

One of my sisters had that habit!

I'll give an example using my username here -- it would be like this: "But the weather report said it will rain, BirdInFlight, didn't it?" Or "I didn't say that though, did I, BirdInFlight?"

It made me cringe. I hate it. And coming from her, at least, it always, always sounded....like criticism. She managed to make my own name - or the using of it -- feel like criticism.

There's a way that people can insert your name for emphasis that is definitely meant to kind of poke at you in some way. And if someone has done that to me, then even when other people use it without that intention, it feels a bit like it.

I outgrew discomfort of using other people's names when having to address them, call them over, refer to them to someone else, etc, but I definitely still have discomfort when someone inserts my name into what they're saying to me, yes. Strongly relate to that.

I definitely cringe when someone says my name. I didn't think about it before that I don't use names, but now that I'm reading this, I know I do avoid it.

Broken Sun Beam
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Oct 2017, 9:27 pm

asdmayb26 wrote:
I can't get myself to say anything affectionate even if it is through text message. When I want to, like right now, I fear that I will be rejected even though I probably won't be rejected. I get this feeling in the pit of my stomach and panic. Any other aspies go through this? :cry:

I was always the cold uncaring type... well that's how I came off and I admit I was a little bit. Not that I did NOT care but I didn't understand certain things that others cared about. I learned that if I wanted to be close to others that I should say affectionate things even if I didn't understand them. Even the really cheesey things that seem to be played on repeat like a record and go without saying. But I learned after awhile that they are important and even I need to hear them... I guess that seems obvious to some folks but not to me! I still struggle with it sometimes though and I have to remind myself to say them. They mean the world to my family and show that I care.

I suppose though your issue is feeling worried and anxious about saying them. That I can't really help much with. All I can suggest is to start with small little digestible bite size pieces. For instance praising people for doing well at something even if it's a small accomplishment and then work your way up. I hope this helps...

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 10:54 pm

stevet wrote:
Total agree with the name thing, I find it too personal and get really freaked out if someone I am not really close to uses my name, i think I always think people using my name are trying to get round me or have me over in some way maybe because those sales type people are encouraged too address possible customers etc. by name to make out they are friends etc.

With me it depends on how people use my name, it might be genuinely affectionate and it might not be. Sometimes I can see that they need to use my name when addressing me in a group, just for the practical purpose of clarifying who they're talking to, and I don't mind that. Otherwise, I feel good about my name being used when they seem to be using it in a genuinely warm, friendly or caring way, when their words are welcome, but not when their surrounding words are overbearing, threatening, insincere or otherwise nasty. So I guess for me it works as an amplifier to what's already going down, it makes what they're saying more personal, which I suppose is why they use my name. I remember telling an acquaintance "don't use my name when you're having a go at me, it only makes it worse."

I don't use people's names much in "good" social situations, mostly because I can rarely remember them - sometimes I'm not sure I've remembered the name right and then I avoid using it because of the risk of getting it wrong (which I gather can come over as quite an insult) but when I can remember them, I like to use them as long as it's definitely a friendly, cordial situation. If it's not, it depends on how high a regard I have for the person. I like to be respectful to most people, so if I'm criticising or contradicting them, I'll usually avoid rubbing it in with their name - don't know if that does any good or not, like I said I appreciate it if it's the other way round, but I don't know if most folks feel the same way as I do. Maybe somebody can tell me? Occasionally I'll be dealing with somebody who is pissing me off, and I'll use their name just to add force to my counter-attack.

The Abdominal Snowman

22 Oct 2017, 10:56 pm

Quote:
I can't get myself to say anything affectionate even if it is through text message. When I want to, like right now, I fear that I will be rejected even though I probably won't be rejected.

It never occurred to me until now, reading this, that somehow fear of rejection is the actual reason for not being able to say "I love you", or give complements, etc.
It's as if, in spite of the autism, some part of us (instinctively) knows that when we say this stuff it's like were kinda hitting on them or asking them out.

It's similar to the way you sorta know that when you ask a person you're not attracted to for directions, change for vending machines, etc. that it's not asking them out BUT if that person is someone you're attracted to then you feel like you kinda are.

The Abdominal Snowman

24 Oct 2017, 7:30 pm

Quote:
sales type people are encouraged too address possible customers ect by name to make out they are friends ect.

Oh, the times a salesman has tried to say he knows someone in my family to try and loosen me up.

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2017, 7:43 pm

I've always had issues in properly verbalizing my emotions, regardless of what they are.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2017, 7:45 pm

Canadian Penguin wrote:
I've always had issues in properly verbalizing my emotions, regardless of what they are.

I do too.

larteaga
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Oct 2017, 7:59 pm

It makes me feel awkward. Worse yet, when they are being overly affectionate using words like sweety and dear, it makes me feel disgusted.

thewheel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2017, 8:04 am

I'm strongly alexithymic, I don't really think about saying affectionate things as I'm not really "in touch" with this side. I don't think about giving compliments either and am uncomfortable receiving them.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 11:21 am

When I grew up with a few exceptions males were expected not to show emotion. It was considered a sign of weakness and homosexuality which was very heavily stigmatized at the time.

Front-Runner Ed Muskie's Tears (or Melted Snow?) Hurt His Presidential Bid

Quote:
Reporters saw tears. Campaign aides said it was melted snow. While they disagreed over what exactly happened that February day in 1972, all now agree that Edmund S. Muskie's emotional outburst that snowy morning helped to ruin his presidential bid.

Earlier that year, the Maine senator was the front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination

"We thought he was the only one that could most easily beat Nixon," says Barry Wanger, Muskie's New Hampshire press secretary.

And then came what Muskie himself later called "a watershed incident." A few weeks before the New Hampshire primary, William Loeb, the influential, conservative publisher of the Manchester Union Leader newspaper, ran two scathing pieces. An editorial accused Muskie of using an ethnic slur against French-Americans, a large voting bloc. Loeb published as evidence a letter from a Florida man that would later be determined a hoax planted by the Nixon White House. The next day Loeb implied that Muskie's wife took an unladylike pleasure in drinking and telling jokes.

Exhausted by the campaign but furious over the accusations, Muskie organized a press conference in front of the Union Leader offices. During a morning snowstorm, with shoulders heaving and voice breaking, Muskie called Loeb a "gutless coward" for attacking his wife. Muskie denied that he cried at that press conference. Any water on Muskie's face was melted snow, aides would say, but the damage was done. National newspaper reporters wrote that he wept, and many voters wondered if Muskie had the strength and composure to run the nation. Muskie would go on to win the New Hampshire primary, but it was Sen. George McGovern's strong performance that made headlines. For Muskie, it was the beginning of the end.

I remember that occurring vividly.

Wow have times changed. Now when male politicians(not women) cry it is seen as a positive, a sign he has empathy.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 1:06 pm

Canadian Penguin wrote:

So do I, I can never find the right words to express my emotions.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"