Risk genes for autism overlap with those for ADHD

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 7:43 pm

Quote:
People with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) carry rare, harmful mutations in many of the same genes as people with autism, an analysis of thousands of sequences suggests.

The findings suggest that mutations in these genes increase the risk of both autism and ADHD, says Kyle Satterstrom, a computational biologist in Mark Daly’s lab at the Broad Institute in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Satterstrom presented the unpublished results today at the 2017 American Society of Human Genetics Annual Meeting in Orlando, Florida.

Scientists have long suspected that autism and ADHD share genetic roots. Up to 80 percent of people with autism also meet the criteria for ADHD. Both conditions are highly heritable and often co-occur in families. And some large deletions or duplications of DNA seen in people with autism overlap with those found in people with ADHD.

https://spectrumnews.org/news/risk-gene ... n-deficit/

Results of Your Adult
Attention Deficit Disorder Quiz

You scored a total of 19

Inattention Subscale: 15
Hyperactivity/Impulsivity Subscale: 4

Based upon your responses to this adult ADD/ADHD screening quiz, you appear to have some symptoms consistent with a possible diagnosis of attention deficit disorder, but may not qualify for a diagnosis of ADD/ADHD. Some people with scores similar to yours have sought professional treatment for this concern; others have not.

If you were diagnosed with ADHD, it would likely be of the Inattentive presentation, as you indicated primarily significant symptoms of inattention.

Possible mild adhd

https://psychcentral.com/quizzes/addquiz.htm

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 11:27 pm

I scored pretty high on this test, but am still reasonably convinced that I don't have ADHD, firstly because, although I answer a lot of the questions on the high end of the scale, the answers were very conditional on the situation. For example, I might have difficulty focusing on one task...if it's outside of my interest zone. If it's within my interest zone, I can focus on it for hours.

Second, and probably more importantly, my ASD diagnosis explicitly states that during the assessment, I was able to remain focused for long periods of time and followed instructions well. I'm pretty sure that if I had ADHD, I wouldn't have been able to remain focused for long periods of time during my ASD assessment.

That said, here's my results:
------------------------------------

You scored a total of 37

Hyperactivity/Impulsivity Subscale: 22

Based upon your responses to this adult ADD/ADHD screening quiz, you have replied in a way similar to people who have symptoms of moderate to severe attention deficit disorder. People who have answered similarly to you typically qualify for a diagnosis of ADHD or ADD, and have sought professional treatment for this mental health concern.

If you were diagnosed with ADHD, it would likely be of the Combined presentation, as you indicated significant symptoms of inattention and hyperactivity/impulsivity.

You indicated that several of the symptoms were present before age 12.
You indicated that the symptoms occur in two or more settings.

Fraser_S
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Oct 2017, 9:02 am

SplendidSnail wrote:
I scored pretty high on this test, but am still reasonably convinced that I don't have ADHD, firstly because, although I answer a lot of the questions on the high end of the scale, the answers were very conditional on the situation. For example, I might have difficulty focusing on one task...if it's outside of my interest zone. If it's within my interest zone, I can focus on it for hours.

Second, and probably more importantly, my ASD diagnosis explicitly states that during the assessment, I was able to remain focused for long periods of time and followed instructions well. I'm pretty sure that if I had ADHD, I wouldn't have been able to remain focused for long periods of time during my ASD assessment.

That said, here's my results:

You scored a total of 37

Hyperactivity/Impulsivity Subscale: 22

Based upon your responses to this adult ADD/ADHD screening quiz, you have replied in a way similar to people who have symptoms of moderate to severe attention deficit disorder. People who have answered similarly to you typically qualify for a diagnosis of ADHD or ADD, and have sought professional treatment for this mental health concern.

If you were diagnosed with ADHD, it would likely be of the Combined presentation, as you indicated significant symptoms of inattention and hyperactivity/impulsivity.

You indicated that several of the symptoms were present before age 12.
You indicated that the symptoms occur in two or more settings.

There's a common misconception that people with ADHD simply can't focus. This isn't entirely true. People with ADHD can have laser like focus when something captures their immediate interest. Just because you focused well on a test, doesn't rule out ADHD. You have to look at your life as a whole. How is your organization skills? Your overall productivity level? How tidy do you keep your home or work space? How often do you lose track of time? Perhaps your mind becomes so focused/involved in something, that you abandon everything else that needs to be done that day.

ADHD is a lot more complex than people realize.