Losing interest in TV shows because of certain characters?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

DukeGallison
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Oct 2017, 10:12 pm

There are quite a few TV shows, particularly animated, that I've given up on in the past because of certain characters, such as The Simpsons since I don't find child abuse remotely humorous, South Park because of Stan's abusive older sister, and Family Guy because I don't like Brian's politics. I really wish the media would warn of things such as this before the episodes air, and think that things such as these aspects should be rated more harshly. I would rather hear the F word a million times than endure the mentioned content I find offensive.

Has anyone here had the same experience?

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 12:47 am

No and I am glad the tv shows doesn't warn about these things. Also Brian's politics are very much Seth's poiltics.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2017, 1:07 am

Usually I just end up disliking that character that I find problematic...I see them as more of an antagonist than protagonist. Also if the media told about the content of a show before it is aired that could spoil it, I'd say its peoples individual responsibility to decide what they want to watch and don't want to watch. I certainly don't want the media to warn me about shows...I can decide for myself what I like. If I turn something on and it offends me I can just watch something else. What really offends me is excessive commercials...so I don't watch cable/satallite t.v I use Netflix/streaming or I buy the DVD. The last straw was when it started taking 2 hours to watch Saturday Night Live when I was a teen because of all the damn commercials, its a 1 hour show.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2018, 7:30 pm

I'd lost interest in one show mostly because of plot, not so much because of a character. It was Nick's TMNT, they were making the secondary bad guys too goofy, and they were dragging out other arcs waaaay past their time (Karai's mutation, farmhouse stuff, Kraang constantly returning.) Plus it seems TMNT in general always wants to rehash the same plots from the comics ad nauseum, with City at War, Dark Raphael/Leonardo/Donatello, Good Genes, etc. Add to this the endless homages/cameos/nods to the 80's cartoon, and it starts making TMNT look like it can't come up with anything original, or if it does (like Shredder's 2k12 henchmen Fishface and Chris Bradford) they quickly get pushed into the background by the 'new' henchmen Bebop and Rocksteady.

I have one character in another show that I really dislike, and it's one I've complained about on another thread. It's Ashi from Samurai Jack. Now the reason why I hate her (besides her being Aku's daughter and potentially downgrading Aku) is that AshiXJack is now all anyone seems to care about whenever it comes to Samurai Jack, as if Seasons 1-4 don't mean crap anymore, or other characters. It doesn't seem to matter that the Guardian's Prophecy is retconned or that Jack barely thinks about his old friend the Scottsman in this season. It doesn't even matter much that potentially the future was erased with all of the loved characters, but people whinge on about Ashi being erased like it's crying shame.

If she was 100% human and Jack became her father figure/teacher, I wouldn't care as much. It's just this combination of traits (Aku's daughter/romance option) that make me hate her, because it takes away from my favorite villain (Aku) and derails Jack's character from noble loner to lovestruck doofus.

Seahorse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2018, 5:33 am

I would like warnings about vomit. I stop watching shows that have a tendency towards this kind of humour. Or when it's not used for humour but is excessive. Would much prefer that vomiting is implied but not shown. If I see vomiting it can make me vomit or feel queasy for the rest of the day…Shows have all sorts of warnings for other things flashing lights, bad language, sex, violence… I want to see one for vomit. At least I can be on my guard and make a decision whether to watch or not

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 7:24 am

If you find something offensive then it's fine to just not watch it. But to argue beyond that that such content, including certain political views you disagree with, needs to be harshly rated is absurd, dangerous and should never be considered by a progressive and free society.