Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Cardia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Oct 2017, 11:05 pm

So I am in the final year of my Psychology BA program. I knew right away that I did not want to become a psychiatrist; even now, I can't see myself becoming a fully-licensed psychologist. There are, of course, other options which I have considered - but they all involve skilled socialization one-on-one with clients. In theory this would not be intimidating, but I now realize that I cannot express myself well in person. Facial expression, intonation, flow of conversation - all of these things I am very much lacking in. I don't see myself being able to simply 'train' myself to improve, as I have tried in the past and even had professionals work with me as a child. I'm just very discouraged as I am finishing my program. It seems that a lot of psych careers (that do not involve math/statistics) would still require me to take on a sort of 'mentor' role and socialize. Some days I do not even feel like talking at all, so I simply don't know at this point :(

Side rant: I was mistaken in thinking that my program did not require a statistics course, and I have to take it next term in order to graduate. I just think this is ridiculous... I have mild to moderate dyscalculia (undiagnosed but it runs in my family) and I have doubts of being able to pass this course. I don't see myself having to use statistics in any career that I somehow obtain with my general psych degree.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 9:09 pm

Hi, I was pretty much in the same situation as you a couple of years ago. I loved doing my psych degree. I found everything interesting (except Program Evaluation which I failed). I did have to do two units of statistics, one of which was Advanced Quantitative Methods. How I passed it I don't know. I remember the exam for it, I just guessed a lot of the answers. Stats are used in basically all quantitative experiments. Even surveys.

I knew I had to deal with people if I were to go any further and I didn't feel that I could do it. But I had to come up with something to do after I graduated. So I chose computing. Seemed pretty safe. I'm now doing Certificate IV in Programming. One day I hope to mix my knowledge of psychology along with that of computing and create a local site for people dealing with mental illnesses. Not sure yet how that will go, heh.

Have you thought of a different career path?