Do you treat it as NTs being disabled?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 11:28 am

People who do not have a disability or mental illness are not going to really get it. Maybe they are not capable of understanding, maybe being closed minded and willful is a impairment. Do you just treat it as they are impaired so you have lower expectations of them? Like you don't expect them to understand your issues you face with autism or any other condition you have? Like if they are ignorant about your execution functioning issues and just think you are being lazy or not trying hard enough or if they just think you are not trying to find a job even though you are trying hard but they think you can try harder, do you just see it as 'They don't know any better, they are only NT,' like people always do for others with disabilities who are understanding.

I have been doing this now and I find it helpful. I just pretend they are disabled also. I do that with my mother whenever she shows ignorance or thought I tried to be Asperger's so I tell myself "she is only NT." I am also expanding it to ignorant people too, "they are only ignorant and never experienced that situation" and treat it like they are impaired. I pretend they are disabled. Does anyone else do this?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Oct 2017, 11:52 am

Yes, it does help. We have to face the fact that, just as we are limited in our abilities in some way, so are NT's. They often have few reasoning or analytical skills. Some times their lives look to me to be little better than a soap opera, as they lurch from one emotional crisis to another. They are merely the most numerous neuro-tribe. If we are disabled, so are they. They might be the most common type of person, but that does not make them right.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 11:54 am

I do this with the ignorant, though it's more difficult with those who are wilfully so.
I don't think of them as being 'disabled', I've just come to expect nothing of them.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 12:08 pm

I don't treat NTs as disabled per se -- more like terms like ignorant, or insensitive, or unempathic at certain matters.
Apathetic and cruel at worst, and that's what I expect about humans as whole.

Too many times. Maybe all the time.
After all, I choose to be the one who accommodates, not the other way around.

I dub them as 'sheltered' at best, because they don't have to adjust to the majority. And if they do, they assume things simply because it's not something they ever do on daily basis. :roll:
Even if they have the knowledge and awareness, they have little to no understanding.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 12:39 pm

I treat it more about ignorance in the literal not pejorative meaning of the term. Most people have their own problems and do not spend hours upon hours learning about autism. How is the average person supposed to understand with the media stereotypes and when the experts can not agree on what is autism and what is lazy excuse making?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2017, 1:02 pm

In a way I do it. I never thought of it as them being disabled too, but I do have the "they just don't know any better"-approach. If someone says something stupid about autism (or anything else that affects me but not them) I remind myself that I can't blame anyone for being uninformed. If it hasn't ever affected them, then there's no reason for them to know anything about it.
People are saying stupid things and asking stupid questions all the time, not only to autists, but to basically every single group of people. The thing is just that it isn't stupid for them, they're just poorly informed.
For example, when a lady said to me the other day "but you don't look like you're autistic?", I could stay calm and politely explain the facts to her. Because if she doesn't know the first thing about autism, it's probably not because she's a bad person. She hasn't intently avoided the information, it just hasn't reached her.

The poor woman simply doesn't know any better.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 1:07 pm

Not really.

I see everyone as having different capabilities.