Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 9:04 am

I like green. It's a good colour. It's the colour of life. I wouldn't mind getting a little green Om Nom tattooed somewhere on my body.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 9:22 am

I have a puzzle-piece necklace, and I really like it. I probably wouldn't want to give it up.

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on November 16, 2017)

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 12:08 pm

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
I have a puzzle-piece necklace, and I really like it. I probably wouldn't want to give it up.

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on November 16, 2017)

Then I don't think you should give it up. It's a question of what it means to you. I only came across it fairly recently and my instinct was that it meant something was supposed to be missing from me, so I didn't like it, because that's not me, but if it means something different to you, then you should keep your necklace. Most symbles in life mean different things to different people, and that's ok. :D

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 12:49 pm

Omniel wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
Omniel wrote:
Omniel wrote:
I guess I have a question, then. You say nothing is missing (referring to the puzzle piece "logo").

My brother is 48, he can only work part-time and cannot support himself. My mother supported him until she died and then he had to come and live with me.

To me, if I have to support him, yeah that does suck and obviously something is "missing" if he can't support himself.

He will not apply for disability (and I guess by your measure, he isn't disabled), but he cannot tolerate more than about 25 hours a week of work and he can only tolerate minimum wage stock work.

My mother left no inheritance and I certainly won't be leaving anything. What do you propose he do when I die?

Bringing that forward, it seems nobody has any answer for this? I asked seriously. It seems to me that if a person were self-supporting there is nothing "missing" but since my brother is not, do you view it as my responsibility to support him? This wasn't something I had agreed to with my mother or with him, it's been thrust upon me.

Firstly, I don't share the view that every able bodied person should be self supporting. In fact, its high on my list of FKKED UP THINGS COMMONLY BELIEVED BY NEUROTYPICALS. Reminds me of when my dad died and my mother, who had been a stay at home wife her whole life, had to move in with ME because all she could have got was a job she wouldn't be able to live on. Are you your mothers keeper? YES YOU ARE. Are you your brothers keeper? YES YOU ARE. None of us chooses these responsibilities, but I do think bad of you for your reaction to it.

I'm not arguing that he isn't disabled, and most here wouldn't. But you are his SISTER and that should be reason enough to help him when in need. My point is that I think you would see this differently if he had a popular disability like MD.

What will happen later? He will either find a way to cope as I did or he wont, and that may mean suicide or homelessness, because of the horrible predatory society that NTs think good.

So basically what you are saying is I should give up my entire life (I have given 15 years already to my mother, who is dead and immediately I got my brother, who is 7 years younger than I am), to take care of people? That this is my purpose in life?

I purposely did not have children because I didn't want them. I certainly don't want to be supporting a 48-year-old man - this is not normal nor should it be expected.

It doesn't matter whether his disability is "popular" or not - I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS. Your opinion is that I should spend my life working 3 jobs (yes that's how many jobs I have to work to keep a roof over our heads). Death looks pretty good.

Firstly I think its a very good thing you didn't have kids, because someone as selfish as yourself would have made a horrible mom. Death looks pretty good? What a terrible thing to say. I take it you're not married too, and that's a boon to whatever unlucky bloke would have ended up with you. I cant think of anything I love more in my happy life than my Aspie soon to be wife. There is no 'puzzle piece' missing from our happy lives. Its like the Reo Speedwagon song: "LIVE EVERY MOMENT! LOVE EVERY DAY!" I thank God for her every day, every moment I'm alive.

I *NEVER* said you should support your brother because he has autism and autistic people should just be made as comfortable as possible. You should because he is your BROTHER and he is in need. Just as I happily took care of my mother in her old age. I didn't see this as some burden I hated, rather a moral obligation that I was happy to do. And just what does your brother take from you anyway? Your life seems pretty vapid and pointless.

Yes, most here will be sympathetic to your brother. If you would be happier someplace where you can bad mouth us and everyone will think you a hero for it, they certainly exist. I would recommend Aspartners on Delphi. You have many of the traits of typical forum members there most importantly an imagined victim status.

Omniel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2017, 6:13 pm

Great idea, peace out.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 6:21 pm

I like the multicoloured puzzle pieces that are grouped together. I'm thinking of purchasing a puzzle piece blanket with all the different colours because I like to do jigsaw puzzles. I also think of the different colours as a message that those of us on the spectrum are more different from each other than we are alike. I'd like to see what charities the money goes to before I make that decision, though.