Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 3:16 pm

To everyone: A genetic test for autism is unlikely. Downs is easy to screen for because it results from a chromosomal nondisjunction. A simple karyotype will show it with 100% certainty. Autism, on the other hand, very probably is the result of a complex synergy of multiple genes acting in concert. This would make a simple genetic test for it a near impossibility with the methods we now have.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 4:54 pm

arachnids wrote:
Ha, NT parents sitting around bitching and whinging about how their stupid lives have been ruined by having an autistic kid. It’s the poor kid I feel sorry for.

I also feel sorry for the children of those parents. I just hope those parents don't go to get their kids euthanized. (I live in Canada and that's why I had to mention the needle). Canada of all countries. That's what happens when your prime minister is a Fuehrer. Tredeu is pretty blood thirsty if you ask me.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2017, 8:58 pm

If I have autistic children when I get older, I would only get therapy for what I (as an autistic person) would think is unacceptable for them. For instance, if they develop GAD like I do, I would get that treated, but I would not extinguish harmless stims like hand flapping. I actually think that stimming is helpful unless it is physically harmful to the stimmer.

I don’t understand why neurotypicals would try to get rid of something they don’t understand. Are they just too lazy to actually use their brains and comprehend our behavior?

Omniel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2017, 11:48 pm

Omniel wrote:
I guess I have a question, then. You say nothing is missing (referring to the puzzle piece "logo").

My brother is 48, he can only work part-time and cannot support himself. My mother supported him until she died and then he had to come and live with me.

To me, if I have to support him, yeah that does suck and obviously something is "missing" if he can't support himself.

He will not apply for disability (and I guess by your measure, he isn't disabled), but he cannot tolerate more than about 25 hours a week of work and he can only tolerate minimum wage stock work.

My mother left no inheritance and I certainly won't be leaving anything. What do you propose he do when I die?

Bringing that forward, it seems nobody has any answer for this? I asked seriously. It seems to me that if a person were self-supporting there is nothing "missing" but since my brother is not, do you view it as my responsibility to support him? This wasn't something I had agreed to with my mother or with him, it's been thrust upon me.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 3:50 pm

Omniel wrote:
Omniel wrote:
I guess I have a question, then. You say nothing is missing (referring to the puzzle piece "logo").

My brother is 48, he can only work part-time and cannot support himself. My mother supported him until she died and then he had to come and live with me.

To me, if I have to support him, yeah that does suck and obviously something is "missing" if he can't support himself.

He will not apply for disability (and I guess by your measure, he isn't disabled), but he cannot tolerate more than about 25 hours a week of work and he can only tolerate minimum wage stock work.

My mother left no inheritance and I certainly won't be leaving anything. What do you propose he do when I die?

Bringing that forward, it seems nobody has any answer for this? I asked seriously. It seems to me that if a person were self-supporting there is nothing "missing" but since my brother is not, do you view it as my responsibility to support him? This wasn't something I had agreed to with my mother or with him, it's been thrust upon me.

Firstly, I don't share the view that every able bodied person should be self supporting. In fact, its high on my list of FKKED UP THINGS COMMONLY BELIEVED BY NEUROTYPICALS. Reminds me of when my dad died and my mother, who had been a stay at home wife her whole life, had to move in with ME because all she could have got was a job she wouldn't be able to live on. Are you your mothers keeper? YES YOU ARE. Are you your brothers keeper? YES YOU ARE. None of us chooses these responsibilities, but I do think bad of you for your reaction to it.

I'm not arguing that he isn't disabled, and most here wouldn't. But you are his SISTER and that should be reason enough to help him when in need. My point is that I think you would see this differently if he had a popular disability like MD.

What will happen later? He will either find a way to cope as I did or he wont, and that may mean suicide or homelessness, because of the horrible predatory society that NTs think good.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 11:22 pm

Come next Autism Awareness Day I'll be lighting it up black, red and gold. :D

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 8:46 am

Omniel wrote:
Omniel wrote:

drwho222 had a reply for you on page 1, the last reply on the page.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 9:11 am

The puzzle piece doesn't bother me. I've never seen it as offensive. I just see it as a symbol for autism, no different than the ribbon or the infinity symbol.

SaveFerris wrote:
Doctors have developed a more accurate test for Down’s syndrome.
Iceland is close to becoming the first country where no-one gives birth to a child with Down's syndrome.
How soon before an autism test?

I don't regret my life and think ASD people have their place, and I wouldn't like to see us stop coming into existence. However, I also fully support women's right to abortion, and think it is and should be entirely up to the mother whether she - for whatever reason - decides to abort or go through with the pregnancy.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Omniel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2017, 1:13 am

drwho222 wrote:
Omniel wrote:
Omniel wrote:

Firstly, I don't share the view that every able bodied person should be self supporting. In fact, its high on my list of FKKED UP THINGS COMMONLY BELIEVED BY NEUROTYPICALS. Reminds me of when my dad died and my mother, who had been a stay at home wife her whole life, had to move in with ME because all she could have got was a job she wouldn't be able to live on. Are you your mothers keeper? YES YOU ARE. Are you your brothers keeper? YES YOU ARE. None of us chooses these responsibilities, but I do think bad of you for your reaction to it.

I'm not arguing that he isn't disabled, and most here wouldn't. But you are his SISTER and that should be reason enough to help him when in need. My point is that I think you would see this differently if he had a popular disability like MD.

What will happen later? He will either find a way to cope as I did or he wont, and that may mean suicide or homelessness, because of the horrible predatory society that NTs think good.

So basically what you are saying is I should give up my entire life (I have given 15 years already to my mother, who is dead and immediately I got my brother, who is 7 years younger than I am), to take care of people? That this is my purpose in life?

I purposely did not have children because I didn't want them. I certainly don't want to be supporting a 48-year-old man - this is not normal nor should it be expected.

It doesn't matter whether his disability is "popular" or not - I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS. Your opinion is that I should spend my life working 3 jobs (yes that's how many jobs I have to work to keep a roof over our heads). Death looks pretty good.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 1:45 am

Omniel wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
Omniel wrote:
Omniel wrote:

So basically what you are saying is I should give up my entire life (I have given 15 years already to my mother, who is dead and immediately I got my brother, who is 7 years younger than I am), to take care of people? That this is my purpose in life?

I purposely did not have children because I didn't want them. I certainly don't want to be supporting a 48-year-old man - this is not normal nor should it be expected.

It doesn't matter whether his disability is "popular" or not - I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS. Your opinion is that I should spend my life working 3 jobs (yes that's how many jobs I have to work to keep a roof over our heads). Death looks pretty good.

That's a horrible attitude to have. Death seems pretty horrible to me. My opinion is that every life is worth living. This day in age? Come on! I bet you'd be happy if your brother killed himself, tomorrow.

Omniel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2017, 5:50 am

If he did, I would consider it a sad end to a very sad life.

And again, the prevailing attitude seems to be that someone else should sacrifice their own life so the person with autism is comfortable for as long as possible? At least that's the perception I have from your responses.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 6:42 am

Omniel wrote:
If he did, I would consider it a sad end to a very sad life.

And again, the prevailing attitude seems to be that someone else should sacrifice their own life so the person with autism is comfortable for as long as possible? At least that's the perception I have from your responses.

Have you asked your brother whether he's happy or not? He might be a very happy person. I also think it's right that you sacrifice your life so that an autistic person is as comfortable as long as possible. Of course if you don't like your brother, you can talk him into getting disability and the freedom and independence it will give him to live on his own in a subsidized apartment and how much happier you will both be. There are also other options like semi-independent living and group homes. I also bet that you wish the asylums were still open. Perhaps you can get some counseling as well.

The Abdominal Snowman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Nov 2017, 7:03 am

Quote:
Are they just too lazy to actually use their brains and comprehend our behavior?

Pretty much.
Part of NT privilege is not having to.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 8:41 am

Omniel wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
Omniel wrote:
Omniel wrote:

Hello
First I do not think you should give up your life, you obviously don't want to, and I commend you for being honest, which is not always natural for NT's if they think they may cause offence or be judged as unfeeling.

You brother works but no more than 25hrs at minimum wage. That is like me, I am Asperger's, you say he won't claim disability, I do not get disability because I can work, but I get topped up with normal benefits because my earnings are not quite enough. I live alone, I am not dependent on any family members or carers. I do not get any extra help except that the job centre are a more patient with me. I think you should talk to your brother about him living independent of you, you will find this greatly improves your relationship, if he is not able to do this fully there is help for him.

You appear to class your brother as disabled (mentally) was this your mothers view of him. By refusing to claim disability he is making his view of himself clear.

You are finding yourself at odds with the other people on this thread because you are seeing things from a different view, that is what it is like being Autistic in a NT world.

I AM VERY GLAD I WAS BORN Thank you for your post because it reminded me of that fact and sometimes I forget.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 8:13 am

I have a green puzzle piece tattoo on my inner right wrist. Green because I like the colour.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 9:04 am

I like green. It's a good colour. It's the colour of life. I wouldn't mind getting a little green Om Nom tattooed somewhere on my body.